Gateway Hills Ski Slope, Nashua

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 938
    We all here want any type of ski areas -- be they mega resort conglomerates or local club-owned bumps or anything in between -- to succeed.  But I have to say, this is one of the crazier plans out there.  I wish them all the success, but I think it would be hard to attract someone to pay the quoted price -- $20 - $32 -- to ski this little hill.  Lyndon Outing Club is $15, with far more terrain and a T-Bar.  This only has one 300-foot 12% slope (skiers' left is 36' vertical per their schematic and skier's right is 38').  That's barely enough to gain speed to turn on. Fine for a first timer, but that's about it.  I doubt there will be enough speed to have a terrain park.

Add to that this that the place is in the middle of an office park.  Not easily accessible or visible from any public road.  Unless there has been massive tree clearing, you can't see it from Rte 3.

Yes we need to get more youngsters and first timers of all ages involved.  But the ski industry already has trouble getting first timers to return with established ski schools, lodge facilities, and additional harder terrain.  Will people return if their first experience is at a place where there's nothing to progress to and there's no place for a non-skiing parent to sit and read a book and grab a bite to eat and/or drink?  I wish them the best, but I struggle to see how this operation will be viable even if it was to be operated at a significant loss by a nonprofit.

---

To lysiki: Trucking snow over from the parking lots is the biggest joke imaginable.  Trucking over a pickup truck's worth of ice scrapings from a hockey rink to build one hit in your back yard is completely different from trucking sufficient snow from parking lots for public skiing on 1.34 acres. A dump truck holds 10-14 cubic yards of dirt, they'd need 154 to 216 truckloads to build a one-foot base, which still won't be enough to withstand the season.  This process will be extremely labor intensive. They're going to need a front end loader or bobcat to get the snow into the truck, then truck it over, and finally the groomer at the ski area to push it around.

This would only really work economically if they have a contract from the city to dump snow from the downtown.  But snow dump sites are tightly regulated by the EPA because with that snow will come sand, salt, oil and other fluids from cars, and scraped up asphalt and the aggregate.  The aggregate won't be good for skiing on ... bye bye birdie bases.  The oil, sand, asphalt and aggregate will all increase the albedo dramatically which will speed up the melting of the snow.  The salt will do that as well.  Ever notice how dirty and disgusting snowbanks get soon after a storm?  Who will ski on that?

Even little New England Sports Park (x-Amesbury Snow Park) has snowmaking for their tubing operations.

To joshua_segal:  I did a quick google seach . It is more like a triple.  1500+ pph.  From http://www.magiccarpet.rmce.com/conveyor-FAQs.htm#7 ... 

7. How long can the conveyors be and what is the capacity?
    The lift can be built to any length, in 3 meter/10 foot increments, with a single drive system at the discharge end. Rider tolerance to stand on the moving belt, available terrain and the specific application primarily dictate what the maximum length can be. Typical rated capacity is 1,500 people per hour, with capacities above 4,500 pph available.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,806
    obienick said:

To joshua_segal:  I did a quick google seach . It is more like a triple.  1500+ pph.  From http://www.magiccarpet.rmce.com/conveyor-FAQs.htm#7 ... 

7. How long can the conveyors be and what is the capacity?
    The lift can be built to any length, in 3 meter/10 foot increments, with a single drive system at the discharge end. Rider tolerance to stand on the moving belt, available terrain and the specific application primarily dictate what the maximum length can be. Typical rated capacity is 1,500 people per hour, with capacities above 4,500 pph available.
    The math I did was simple: How often does a person get on the carpet? 3 second spacing between people give you 1200 per hour, but I can't imagine a situation where it could average any quicker than 6 sec. (600 per hour).  What's their math say?
  • JMaulJMaul advanced

The ski hill is surrounded by 8 public and 5 private Elementary schools, 3 public and 2 private Middle schools one of which is the largest in the State and three High Schools.  I've been told that there will be special Field trip rates for schools to get local area kids outside getting physically fit.  we are talking a pool of about 10,500 students just in the public schools. 

Don't get hung up on the lack of snowmaking this year.  We need to look past this and look at the Ski Hills potential and growth.     

High posted rates then heavy discounts. Sounds like a tax deduction.

But, like rickbolger stated, it's a new area, so I wish them the best.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Regarding potential snowmaking (if they make it through their first year) - Is there any water source available there?  Pennichuck Water is expensive!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,740
    What I really enjoy are the "marketing" photos in the gallery. Or some people would say fake photos. It says you should reserve tickets online but there is no way to do it. Hey CM is a sponsor too. If Chuckstah hadn't been there I would have sworn this site was set up by a Nigerian or Russian prince. Kind reminds me of Cloud Top Ski Resort in Maine as well.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 2,012
    ski_it said:

What I really enjoy are the "marketing" photos in the gallery. Or some people would say fake photos. It says you should reserve tickets online but there is no way to do it. Hey CM is a sponsor too. If Chuckstah hadn't been there I would have sworn this site was set up by a Nigerian or Russian prince.

If you look hard enough you can find Targhee logos in the images.
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Website was just updated to say Opening January 1, 2017.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Website was just updated to say Opening January 1, 2017.
    I'm not surprised.  I drove by today, and looking from the highway there was certainly not enough snow to be open.  There was, however, some work going on but I couldn't tell what in the 2 or 3 seconds I could see the carpet. I also received a Groupon offer from them today.  $25 for a $72 value???  I love the above tree line photo in the Groupon sales pitch!  Over 190 sold.  Good for them

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,740

"Groupon offer from them today.  $25 for a $72 value??? " 

My ponderer is sore. The Groupon says, "One full-day snow park admission." It doesn't say what days or hours it can be used.

The Gateway site says there are 3 sessions a day for either $25 or $30 each. So is that Groupon good for only 1 session or all 3? Nothing adds up to $72.

Park Tickets:                                        Weekday    Weekend
    Session 1        12:00pm to 3:00pm           $25           $30
    Session 2          3:00pm to 6:00pm           $25           $30  
    Session 3           6:00pm to 9:00pm          $25           $30 

• shprideshpride intermediate
    Yea the $72 through me off as well
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    We haven't heard back from Lysikj since Ski_it asked him if he works there.
  • newmannewman advanced
    mapnut said:

We haven't heard back from Lysikj since Ski_it asked him if he works there.

He could be getting snow from the plowed parking lots to cover the hill.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    They'll figure it out....without manmade snow they are sunk for sure...one fan gun would do the trick on a patch that small.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    It says "Full-Day Snow Park Admission"...

They'll figure it out....without manmade snow they are sunk for sure...one fan gun would do the trick on a patch that small.

If they had the gun, do they have access to water?
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    When do the condos & hotel get built using EB-5 money?
    NELSBEER said:

That's not until they expand to the new peak next season! :D
    - Sam
    NELSBEER said:

The Sheraton Tara is already there! The condos are less than a mile away at Royal Ridge.  All they need to succeed is a mountain.  Maybe a new Mt. Trashmore.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

If they had the gun, do they have access to water?
    True...minor detail...hmmm
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    With a couple of fan guns and some water they can become New Hampshire's fastest growing hill (vertically). 
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    There is a very small brook/swampy area at the bottom of the slope. It may be enough to run a fan gun or 2 during high flow times. Very marginal though. image
    Screenshot_2016-12-27-15-42-50.png
    854 x 480 - 132K
  • lysikjakelysikjake intermediate
    Younger lysik here,
    snowmaking will not be a question next year. a system WILL be installed. how many guns? i don't know. most likely one to three fanguns from hkd or smi and maybe a couple airwater towers. dont have doubts, snow will be there in the futur and plenty of it! 
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 6 Posts: 1,740

Says "Waiting for mother nature". Their FBook page says you can get an all day ticket normally $25 for $16.50 if you buy a 6 pack. And they've changed their web site pricing to match.

There's also an exciting Magic Carpet ride video up on there.

https://www.facebook.com/gatewayhillssnowpark/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

Go GHSS!!!

Pricing seems much more reasonable now! I wonder what made them decide to change.
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    lysikjake said:

Younger lysik here,

snowmaking will not be a question next year. a system WILL be installed. how many guns? i don't know. most likely one to three fanguns from hkd or smi and maybe a couple airwater towers. dont have doubts, snow will be there in the futur and plenty of it! 
    Thanks for keeping us informed!  We wish you 100% success!  
    lysikjake said:

Younger lysik here,

Question: When they add snowguns, from where will they be geting their water?
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    lysikjake said:

Younger lysik here,

Investing in air for such a small operation makes no sense operationally or financially.

lysikjake said:

Younger lysik here,

Water could come from many sources. Water from the city or the stream that is below the hill. The system won't flow a ton of water because there's not going to be a tons of guns
    newpylong said:

lysikjake said:

Younger lysik here,

Investing in air for such a small operation makes no sense operationally or financially.
    Considering how large the area is, 3-5 fanguns will be needed. Fanguns have onboard compressors. Most towerguns from HKD can run with onboard compressors as well. In my opinion, it's not worth investing in hill air for this area. Throw in a 3-5 super polecats and we can have it open in no time.
    lysikjake said:

lysikjake said:

Younger lysik here,

Water could come from many sources. Water from the city or the stream that is below the hill. The system won't flow a ton of water because there's not going to be a tons of guns
    About 0.5 million gallons per acre foot.  Hmm.  I lived in Nashua for 30 years.  Pennichuck Water isn't cheap!