Gateway Hills Ski Slope, Nashua

13»

Comments

• lysikjakelysikjake intermediate

lysikjake said:

lysikjake said:

Younger lysik here,

snowmaking will not be a question next year. a system WILL be installed. how many guns? i don't know. most likely one to three fanguns from hkd or smi and maybe a couple airwater towers. dont have doubts, snow will be there in the futur and plenty of it! 
    Question: When they add snowguns, from where will they be geting their water?
    Water could come from many sources. Water from the city or the stream that is below the hill. The system won't flow a ton of water because there's not going to be a tons of guns
    About 0.5 million gallons per acre foot.  Hmm.  I lived in Nashua for 30 years.  Pennichuck Water isn't cheap!
    There are still other water sources. That was just one of them.

• edited January 14 Posts: 1,676
    lysikjake said:

newpylong said:

lysikjake said:

Younger lysik here,

snowmaking will not be a question next year. a system WILL be installed. how many guns? i don't know. most likely one to three fanguns from hkd or smi and maybe a couple airwater towers. dont have doubts, snow will be there in the futur and plenty of it! 
    Investing in air for such a small operation makes no sense operationally or financially.
    Considering how large the area is, 3-5 fanguns will be needed. Fanguns have onboard compressors. Most towerguns from HKD can run with onboard compressors as well. In my opinion, it's not worth investing in hill air for this area. Throw in a 3-5 super polecats and we can have it open in no time.
    Bradford has compressors on all of their HKDs in the Wasp area.
    - Sam
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited January 13 Posts: 722
    Joshua. Try less than 1/2 of that.  500,000 gallons per acre foot would be 153% density of ice.

Ratnik on their website claims 160,000 gallons per acre foot on average (before factoring in evaporation/snow blowing into the woods).

Torrent claims 125,000 to 167,000 for the snow itself and 182,000-204,000 when factoring in losses. http://www.torrentee.com/pdf/Snow-water_conversion_chart.pdf
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    obienick said:

Joshua. Try less than 1/2 of that.  500,000 gallons per acre foot would be 153% density of ice.

Ratnik on their website claims 160,000 gallons per acre foot on average (before factoring in evaporation/snow blowing into the woods).

Torrent claims 125,000 to 167,000 for the snow itself and 182,000-204,000 when factoring in losses. http://www.torrentee.com/pdf/Snow-water_conversion_chart.pdf
    I was adjusting for the obvious factors that you mentioned (i.e. evaporation and the stuff that misses the trails).  The number was also based on my (possibly incorrect) assumption that they would not be using the latest/greatest hi-efficiency guns.  Never-the-less, in Nashua, Pennichuck water is sufficiently expensive that most people fill their swimming pools from tanker trucks - and pools are thousands of gallons - not millions!.
  • lysikjakelysikjake intermediate
    Snowmaking next year is going to be using the latest technology. The guns are cheaper to run. In the long run it's cheaper.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Just tell me when you open!!!!!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Gateway Hills will be opening this weekend!
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I think I saw it from rt 3 last weekend. Looked higher than 40 ft but not much.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    After getting slammed on 3/15 they are now closed for the season. I hope they can add snowmaking next year and keep it rolling. Thanks for the fun Gateway!!