Tenney Mountain Update

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

I don't remember glades at Tenney.  Where were they?

https://skimap.org/data/1077/916/1335552073.jpg
    Interesting.  All of the glades post-date my last visit there (1996-7 season).
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,559

New pics here along with some Waterville ones & Magic info:

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=287

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,559

Interesting.  All of the glades post-date my last visit there (1996-7 season).

Me too. They probably opened them for Mr. Egan?

Unfortunately, my most vivid memory of TM is of ripping an edge out of my ski on a ledge up near the top.

My poor Fischers.  

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    edited July 2015 Posts: 304
    Their Facebook page has a 13 min. video taken from a helicopter. Someone clearcut the summit so now they have hike to snowfields and someone asked if they are going to offer helicopter skiing. Maybe they will have lift serviced Golf? Anyway it's a good watch and you get to see some of the trail cleaning that has taken place so far. It looks like a lot of work left to do if they are to open this season.
  • asc_rowerasc_rower novice
    The clear cut is strange, I suspect that it has to do with the wind turbines. I can't imagine they are serious with the helicopter proposal. Tenney had a hard enough time with just ski lifts....
    -Luke
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    edited July 2015 Posts: 109
    The clearcuts are at the bases of the wind turbines, presumably to increase air flow?   It is a short bushwhack from the top of the double to the clearcuts and wind turbines.  Definitely flat where the clearcuts are, so, unless you want to heli-cross-country ski, you won't have much fun!!!   :)
    becca_m said:

The clearcuts are at the bases of the wind turbines, presumably to increase air flow?   It is a short bushwhack from the top of the double to the clearcuts and wind turbines.  Definitely flat where the clearcuts are, so, unless you want to heli-cross-country ski, you won't have much fun!!!   :)

It is a very short bushwhack to the clearcut. According to the topo map it has a gentle pitch and may not be worth hiking.
    - Sam
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    I was just kidding about skiing the clearcut, it's quite flat up there.
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    well, then i guess you won't need the helicopter either....  :D
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

I watched their
    videos on Facebook. The helicopter trip reveals classic narrow (pre-snowmaking)
    New England trails. While they are working on their snowmaking system, they are
    getting their primary assets up and running. The lifts are running and the trails
    are being cleared. Until the snowmaking is going strong it looks like the
    trails should hold snow and be wind protected. My one and only day of skiing
    there was 25 years ago. As I recall the double serves some fun trails and
    glades. The triple area is lower intermediate.

• RemskiRemski advanced
    Wow are they cruising now. Ripping out the interior of the base lodge brushing out the trails and hinting of future expansion. No rate prices yet and I'm itching to find out so I can purchased a season pass. TENNEY is my favorite ski area in central NH. Can't wait to ski Edelweiss, Tote Road, Snapdragon and Mourning Glory again and of course those sweet glades.
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    edited July 2015 Posts: 467
    They did have some serious snowmaking horsepower though outdated and from what I can tell from pictures designed poorly.

Hopefully the pipes are in decent shape and the majority of the work will just be in pumping.
  • obienickobienick expert
    From the Facebook posts it appears that no return pipe fed back to the reservoir at the bottom so even though they had firepower, it was extremely inefficient.  And on top of that, they never bothered to repair flash flood damage to several of the intakes (sounds like there are about 4 with only 1 viable at the moment).

Can anyone explain how say the pipes at Magic got so bad?  Yeah, steel rusts, but it doesn't do that much damage that quick.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 467
    I can't speak specifically for Magic but it doesn't take long for issues to develop without charging them yearly. If they are laid directly on the ground without support they will rot quicker. Still, it is crazy that 50% or more of on hill piping needed or still needs repair.

Even over at Whaleback, with all of the financial difficulties, they only managed to lose the lines on one trail over the years.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    edited August 2015 Posts: 304
    Really coming together at Tenney. They started cleaning out the summit structures, went to Auburn ME. to check out snowcats at the Piston Bully dealership there and the power is on in the lodge and they have a great night photo on the Facebook page. Lots of new videos check them out.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    obienick said:

Can anyone explain how say the pipes at Magic got so bad?  Yeah, steel rusts, but it doesn't do that much damage that quick.

I don't have any experience with snowmaking systems, but having been in the pipe/valve/fittings business for almost 20 years I can tell you that no two piping systems are ever exactly alike, and there's infinite variations that could cause one to rot more rapidly than the other. Anything and everything from how often it is drained, pH of the water, mineral content, additives they might use, if it was ever flushed with some sort of solution and residue remained, if flow is more turbulent and prone to outgassing, any regular pulsations or repeated water hammer that create problems that invite more corrosion. And that's just from the inside; as mentioned above the ground can eat the pipe (rate depends on composition of the soil) and there's all sorts of other external variables that cause different rates of corrosion.  One obvious thing would be if the piping is more exposed to sunlight at Magic, NACE  has documented that sunlight accelerates corrosion

• ciscokidciscokid expert

obienick said:

Can anyone explain how say the pipes at Magic got so
    bad?  Yeah, steel rusts, but it doesn't do that much
    damage that quick.

I don't have any experience with snowmaking systems, but having been in the pipe/valve/fittings business for almost 20 years I can tell you that no two piping systems are ever exactly alike, and there's infinite variations that could cause one to rot more rapidly than the other. Anything and everything from how often it is drained, pH of the water, mineral content, additives they might use, if it was ever flushed with some sort of solution and residue remained, if flow is more turbulent and prone to outgassing, any regular pulsations or repeated water hammer that create problems that invite more corrosion. And that's just from the inside; as mentioned above the ground can eat the pipe (rate depends on composition of the soil) and there's all sorts of other external variables that cause different rates of corrosion.  One obvious thing would be if the piping is more exposed to sunlight at Magic, NACE  has documented that sunlight accelerates corrosion

Didn't know you were a plumber Rick

I am familiar with out gassing

• bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    I look forward to seeing this mountain reopening.  The key points for me will be enhanced snowmaking and a replacement summit lift.  

I'm always seeking reasonably priced places to ski that are off the beaten path, away from crowds and hordes of rude people. Tenney could serve that purpose nicely. I do hope they play on their excellent location and develop a relationship with Plymouth State.
  • abubobabubob advanced
    There's so much psych factor going into this I worry about expectations for the first season. There's so much that has to be fixed there not all of it will be done for the 15-16 season. It's similar to Ragged's reopening back in 07. Bad business relations and broken promises plaqued Ragged for years.  But this situation is worse because NOTHING is usable after several years of disuse. Plus the old management at Tenney must have put local businesses on guard.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 467
    His snowmaking plant and lift systems are largely intact albeit with some work required. Those are the biggest items 1 and 2 so I don't think it's fair to say that nothing is usable.

Crotched rebirth had nothing reusable.
  • abubobabubob advanced
    Update from last week: "TENNEY Progress Update

Pump House / Compressor #1

A quick last spin up of Compressor #1 before we shut her down and sell her off for scrap. It's a bit depressing after working on these two awesome units for so long... And especially after being disable for decades and bringing them back to life, only to find out that they are so outdated (very unique only four ever built) and EPA hazardous...

But as I always say, it's only another bump in the road (like bump fifty thousand and seventy three) one of many as we focus on the entire TENNEY mission and forge forward, remaining positive and wondering why me ;( lol "

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/398094973722287/?type=2&theater

Probably buy a couple big Centacs to replace...
    TENNEY Progress Update

Hornet / Lift Shack / Staging

Preparation and forms were built for extending the foundation and receipt of new lift shack.

This will be completed by end of week so new digital electronics and control systems can be installed.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/402596456605472/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Eclipse / Main lift shack

Forms were built in preparation of recording a new main lift shack. The foundation was also extended and some conduit laid to replace old control cables.

Later this week new digital control systems along with updated electrical equipment will be installed as well.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/402602363271548/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY weather aftermath

Main Lodge / Parking Lot A

Debris from erosion covers half the parking lot.

Caused by 4x4's and ATVs that don't stay on the main service roads and wonder onto the Ski Slopes.

This has been caused by the the service teams that access the tower top side over the years and have not maintained the service access roads what so ever.

This is why the COO was forced to shut down all access to the mountain (for safety reasons as well) till these roads and slopes are repaired by SBA which is the company that owns the tower top side.

Ugg! Today we will get a team in here and clean this up and patch up what we can till SBA gets their contractor in here to fix it permanently.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/403185049879946/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Hornet / Main Drive House

I thought I would take 2 minutes and show you what's taking place upstairs in the main drive house unit.

The video gives you an idea what's taking place while we have down time on other projects.

It's really important that we go through everything with great detail and that means places that others may not frequent.

Cleaning and painting gives a visual of caring and for safety reasons we want everything checked in detail as well as labeled.

The Hornet may be old and slow, but she sure will be the safest and most reliable around...

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/403300046535113/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

I hate the
    character limit for posts...link to nice full article at bottom.

Engineering a new era at Tenney Mountain

Plymouth ski area
    now owned by aerospace scientist

PLYMOUTH, N.H. —Tenney Mountain's winding New England ski
    trails, narrow and sometimes steep fall line, and gentle glades will open under
    a new owner.

You can keep up with progress on the Tenney website at https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY.

You can see a previous Escape Outside story
    written in May at http://www.wmur.com/escape-outside/tenney-mountain-in-plymouth-is-being-resurrected/32840266.
    TENNEY Progress Update

Electrical / Main Vault

Reporting live from the main parking lot, Keith reviews what we are taking on in an effort to make sure we have safe and reliable power throughout the facilities.

Our main concern was a potential public safety issue - one of the HOAs directed left over contracting material, cement, to be dump in the worst possible place! Right onto the main high voltage cable volt.

We had the electrical coop come down here and remove the harden cement so access during a real emergency can happen safely and quickly if power interruption took place at this main vault.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/403587379839713/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Electrical / Main Vault
    Continued

This is what happens when you have no idea or don't care how your property is being managed.

It becomes a public safety crisis. So once again, we are peeling back the onion layers and repairing critical infrastructure components that are ready to fail at any second.

The lack of maintenance on such systems or knowing the poor state of condition is a huge liability when not addressed. These issues can not be avoided or ignored so once again we put off other critical mission objectives to address this priority.

Reliability and safety, there's nothing more important so we fix it right and once the first time here at TENNEY... Because there's no asking for forgiveness when a life is lost due to negligence...

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/403590716506046/?type=2&theater
    - Sam