Tenney Mountain Update

Comments

TENNEY Progress Update

Electrical / sub vault
    Continued

After the mess we discovered at the main vault, we decided not to take chances and inspect some of the other vaults on our property.

We discovered that we don't have enough power coming in to do our electrical build for phase 3, the mountain side development...

So we will be planning over the next few months how to address this in the very near future...

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/403593073172477/?type=2&permPage=1
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Electrical Infrastructure
    Continued

It's never ending, one thing collapses into another. But if you bite the bullet and address each issue correctly, once and only once... It's amazing how reliable and safe things can turn out to be.

This transformer hasn't been serviced in a while... So what do we do here at TMDG, we service it! Wow, what an unbelievable new concept for up here!

Reinforcing safety and reliability first and foremost all the time!

And yet, the sun has settled over the mountain and another positive day has past... And we still all remain excited and positive no matter what challenges we face or discover here at this beautiful little TENNEY Mountain Ski Resort.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/403610379837413/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Main Pump House

Dylan Johnson spent the past two days cleaning up the pump house and washed everything by hand.

This is for safety and trouble shooting reasons. Allows the technicians to find problems easier than looking for them through 30 years of oil, grease and sticky dust!

Job well done Dylan.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/photos/pcb.403926066472511/403925663139218/?type=1&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Water Infrastructure / Eclipse / Top

The water line at the top of the Eclipse was damaged by our world famous trail clearer Kevin Young. But we know everything up here at TENNEY is two steps forward, one point five steps back!

We fixed the problem via welding a temporary patch so we can continue water flow integrity testing on the Eclipse related snow making trails.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/403926149805836/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Eclipse / Main Lift Shack

To make up for all the lost time, we are working double shifts now.

COO Keith Fitzgerald and President John Russo are hands on executives when it come to an emergency or just pitching in.

What folks don't see is all the paper and administration work that takes place once the day ends... Easily 3-4 hours every day. Nothing ever gets done when it comes to admin work during the day do to all the needs and interruption of the regular operations...

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/403927253139059/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Eclipse / Trail Clearing

Today's a special day... About 95% of the trails that could be cleared by machine are cleared... We still have a huge job of hand clearing these trails along the snow water and air pipe lines...

The pictures attached tell it all so enjoy...

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/posts/405006176364500
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited September 2015 Posts: 952
    thanks for sharing the links.  this is fantastic!   hope it sticks
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    TomWhite said:

I suggest Ascutney is our answer to snow vs. lifts. They "experimented" and they were wrong. This mid-size area has/had terrain as nice as Magic. The invested in a HSQ and not snowmaking, especially a water source (pond). They were wrong, people "didn't come if they built it". They lacked snow, especially an early season base. One thing Les Otten (ASC) and environmentalists worked on was water use. Snowmaking ponds were the answer to ski areas needing water vs. fish needing deep pools in streams to survive the winter. It was a good compromise. Plus there is the added benefit of fire protection especially where fire hydrants are installed between ponds and mountains. Good examples are between Haystack at Mt. Snow and the Sugarbush access road.

The triple at Ascutney was actually a good usable lift making the Quad unnecessary.  The double at Tenney is much longer and flatter.  Anyone who goes there and rides this 20 minute lift to short, mostly flat trails is unlikely to return.  That's why the place was empty imo.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    bobbutts said:

TomWhite said:

I suggest Ascutney is our answer to snow vs. lifts. They "experimented" and they were wrong. This mid-size area has/had terrain as nice as Magic. The invested in a HSQ and not snowmaking, especially a water source (pond). They were wrong, people "didn't come if they built it". They lacked snow, especially an early season base. One thing Les Otten (ASC) and environmentalists worked on was water use. Snowmaking ponds were the answer to ski areas needing water vs. fish needing deep pools in streams to survive the winter. It was a good compromise. Plus there is the added benefit of fire protection especially where fire hydrants are installed between ponds and mountains. Good examples are between Haystack at Mt. Snow and the Sugarbush access road.

The triple at Ascutney was actually a good usable lift making the Quad unnecessary.  The double at Tenney is much longer and flatter.  Anyone who goes there and rides this 20 minute lift to short, mostly flat trails is unlikely to return.  That's why the place was empty imo.
    I couldn't find anywhere in this thread where Tom White said what you attributed to him.  Ascutney's error IMO when they purchased the HSQ is that they failed to budget the costs for the infrastructure necessary for its operation.  As a result, it rarely ran.  Corollary: A lift that doesn't gets the same number of people up  the hill as no lift!
  • obienickobienick expert
    TomWhite said:

And I think another good example is Crotched.  The rebirth focused on snowmaking with used fixed grip lifts.  They've been succeeding.  Then they got a steal on their quad and eventually expanded to the top.
    TENNEY Progress Update

Eclipse / Rope'Cable / Splicing

What a long day! This was very interesting and will soon post a few more pieces of video footage.

The Team took out over twelve feet of cable and re-braided the cable back together. This was a labor intense effort in the hot sun all day.

Mission completed and this Tuesday we have the crane here so we can re-install the Hydraulic Ram and put real tension back on the main hauling cable.

A few pictures below show various stages of the process.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/posts/406218722909912
    - Sam
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    obienick said:

TomWhite said:

And I think another good example is Crotched.  The rebirth focused on snowmaking with used fixed grip lifts.  They've been succeeding.  Then they got a steal on their quad and eventually expanded to the top.

Apples and oranges, Crotched's ride time was under 10 mins on the FG quad, less than 1/2 of Tenney's.  Also the SNH market is much different than 93+Ragged region.  Crotched has as good or better terrain than anyone else in their region, Tenney has the worst by a long shot.

TENNEY Progress Update

Hornet / Trail Clearing
    Continued;

Amazing work, this was a mid day inspection and this trail clearing team is out standing.

We now have 95% of the Eclipse trails cleared and about 60% of the Hornet trails. We estimate we should be done with all the mechanical trail clearing by end of month.

Then we will be looking for volunteers to help clear around the hydrants and air / water lines...

Things are rocking at TENNEY and again, thanks for all your support and positive comments!

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/407778826087235/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Eclipse / Snow Making Towers

Today the folks from HKD are assisting in locating all the tower support pole locations.

We have to being in a track driller that will drill into the mountain at all the snow tower locations, then a steel 4" post will be secured to the mountain. The snow towers will slide over these post and it will allow for directional swiveling...

This alone is a huge job. Roughly $200 per drilled post hole and another $65 per post times 72 locations on the Eclipse side... (I'll get a final count shortly)

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/posts/410054225859695
    - Sam
    I love the openness of the Tenney management and the play-by-play work to bring this mountain back to life!
    TENNEY Progress Update

Hornet / Roll Back Brake

Today we had a visit from Ross Stevens PE and the State...

They just happen to stop by to check and see if our roll back system meets current state requirements...

We are all about safety here at TENNEY and since we are all Scientist and Physicist, we had to stick our noses into the meat of what was going on.

Bottom line is, we have a State Tramway Department that cares about its public and goes out of their way to constantly inspect and assure that all systems meet or exceed the necessary safety requirements...

It was nice meet Ross for he learned how to ski at TENNEY when he was 15 years old - I never heard that before from anyone lol

A few pictures of the roll back dog brake... It basically jams into place if there is a roll back taken place on the lift. All very neat and simple mechanical systems.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/posts/410104302521354
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Hornet / Main Lift Line Clearing

Mike and Mike Jr. Have spent an unbelievable amount of time on the steepest of terrains, cutting the foliage down and opening up these trails.

We now about 95% complete on the Eclipse side of the mountain and about 85-90% done on the Hornet side.

I have many people complementing the team here because most can now actually see the trails cleared from i93... The foliage that has been cut down has died and turn brown accentuating the trail's outlines within the the mountain's forest...

I drove out to i93 myself to take a peek and forgot my phone! I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the trail outlines viewed from i93...

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/vb.351524485046003/411913399007111/?type=2&theater
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

Main Lodge / Bridge

With all the activities coming up this weekend (Beer Fest) the team is finishing up pouring the last of the footings for the Bridge.

Support beams were repositioned into their proper maximum support locations to handle loads efficiently.

I'm starting to wonder who built things around hear. Is everything up here a bandaid approach?

I guess it's just another layer of the onion as Keith would always say.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/posts/413569228841528
    - Sam
    TENNEY Progress Update

PistenBulley Park Pro Snowcat

A few pictures on unloading a groomer. Taken over a 1.5 hour period.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/posts/415364961995288
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    that's great!  thanks for posting
    The article is a little bit confusing because it makes it seem like only the triple will be open this season. The double will be open, but only when the natural snowfall allows because snowmaking has only been restored to the Eclipse area.

Ticket prices in the mid $20s seems nice... ;) :)]

I'll be there this winter!
    - Sam
    TENNEY MOUNTAIN RETURNS TO N.H. SKI SCENE

Plymouth, NH – Tenney Mountain’s lifts have been silent since 2010, brush growing high beneath the chairs. Snowmaking hydrants and nozzles have been pilfered, presumably for their copper, and even on-mountain trail maps were taken. Its prior owners left piles of food to rot in its base lodge restaurant’s freezer. And perhaps worst of all, a 375-hp diesel engine that powered a snowmaking compressor was found flooded with water and seized.

All of this would likely deter all but the most movitated of prospective ski resort operators. Fortunately for New Hampshire’s skiing public, Michael Bouchard is one of them — even if he never meant to be.

Bouchard, 51, is an engineer from the southern New Hampshire city of Nashua and a native of Chelsea, Mass. He’s the founder of Nashua’s Secure Axxess, an engineering firm that specializes in robotics for militaries and governments. He bought Tenney Mountain’s 900 acres from a New York investment firm for $1.2 million in 2010 for mineral rights and water content, never intending to run a ski resort — because he’s never skied.

Bouchard, however, brings other skills to the table. His engineering expertise and years of tinkering allowed him to repair the snowmaking pipes, fix Tenney’s dilapidated base lodge, and yes…replace that seized snowmaking engine.

After purchasing the property and interacting with residents of the small nearby town of Plymouth, Bouchard finally understood what Tenney Mountain represented to the community and to New Hampshire skiers. He’s also recognized the development rights of an approved 2,300-unit slopeside housing community in which only 253 condos have been built. He’s therefore changed his mind about running a ski area.

With the assistance of Boston investment group MAST Holdings and some $4 million in repairs later, Bouchard plans to reopen Tenney Mountain on December 15 on a limited basis. Reopening the base-to-summit Hornet double chair will have to wait until next winter after he’s had a chance to repair the rest of the mountain’s snowmaking system, or until sufficient natural snow falls to cover Tenney’s 1,400-foot vertical drop. For now, Bouchard will run the shorter Eclipse chairlift, presuming that it passes load testing this fall, but he’s brought in Pfister Mountain Services to make sure that happens. Other amenities will be limited this winter as well, but lift tickets will be cheap, likely in the $25 range.

Bouchard hopes to have the whole place back up and running by winter 2016-17. In addition, he plans to bring his engineering expertise to task to treat Tenney like a petri dish to develop new and emerging technologies for the ski industry, creating a second stream of cash flow for the beleaguered resort.

The ski industry needs more people like Michael Bouchard.

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2015/10/25/tenney-mountain-returns-to-n-h-ski-scene/
    - Sam
    What a great write-up. Should I make it to New Hampshire this winter Tenney is my very first stop point.

Whaleback is a close second.
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    Do both - Tenney in the AM, Whaleback in the PM under lights if need be!
    newpylong said:

Whaleback is worth an entire day and I'd assume Tenney is too.
    - Sam

newpylong said:

Whaleback is worth an entire day and I'd assume Tenney is too.
    That's exactly what I'd do: a full day at each. Never been to New Hampshire so these two areas have the honours of gaining my first turns in their fair state.
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    edited October 2015 Posts: 451
    Totally. If we get good snow this year, then both definitely will be worth a whole day! Both great highway access too.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier intermediate
    Agreed, at least a day at each mountain is on my schedule too!