When is/was your first day out this season

ciscokidciscokid expert
edited December 2016 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 2,245
I know many of you have already been skiing this year but Saturday will be my first day this year. With a cold, lake effect snowy forecast I am excited to get going and use the season pass to Caberfae. And riding a brand new chairlift!

For those who haven't skied yet this season WHEN is your anticipated first day?(of many I hope)

http://caberfaepeaks.com/the-mountain/snow-report/image

Also when I went to the Warren Miller movie Saturday I was speaking with the Caberfae rep and she said they are planning to reinstall the double chair they took down and put it up in the "backcountry" next year! ( I think TReilly mentioned that)
That's exciting to anticipate skiing lost terrain within "open" backcountry.
image.jpg
1030 x 773 - 75K

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Oct. 26 for me.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    10/30/16 for this one.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 2,109

12/04/16 for me. According to my partial records, earliest since 1993. :((

I know, I know, Remski has skied in October 30 years in a row. :)]

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    No not in a row just 33 years since 1977.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 2,109
    Remski said:

No not in a row just 33 years since 1977.

I stand corrected. Myself, me & I - I think once since 1977 in October.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • slathamslatham advanced

First turns 11/23 (on natural snow).

First lift served turns 11/24-25.

Last couple of years I've been starting over Thanksgiving - this year was certainly above average conditions.

• SkizixSkizix advanced
    November 27th, a week or so later than usual... I like to think of my season being from Thanksgiving until Income Tax Day. Actually very good conditions for Jiminy Peak's opening weekend!
    "I need a powder day"
  • AzSkiAzSki intermediate
    First day Dec 14 at the Arizona Snowbowl and using the new 6 pax chair; good conditions on open trails and lifts with 24 inch base at midpoint.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    First day was hike up Stowe on October 29th. First lift access was November 23rd at Stowe.
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    December 13 at Snowshoe WV. They opened Cupp Run (1500' vertical) that afternoon, thanks to new snowmaking equipment ... that the warm weather a year ago didn't let them use.

Have a great season everybody!
  • philphil intermediate
    Dec 18 at Loveland Basin
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,245
    This year 11/24/17 , only second time in November( 11/13)
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,129
    Resurrected last year's thread: This year: Nov. 8, 2017: Opening Day at Killington!

Do any of you participate in the Snow Trace app when you ski/ride?
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    December 9th at Ober Gatlinburg.

• ski_itski_it expert
    12/3/2017 Mt Snow. I'm resting my butt today while the fam is at CM I believe.
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Good thread to resurrect, joshuasegal.

Made my first turns at Snowshoe WV this past Tuesday-Wednesday, December 12-13.  Great midseason conditions, although we were 2 days early for the opening of my all-time Mid-Atlantic favorite Cupp Run.

In the region, virtually all ski areas are now open except Timberline WV (it's a long story).  I hope to ski Whitetail PA or Wisp MD midweek this coming week.

Best wishes to all for the holidays and for the ski season!

Woody