Ciscokid @ Caberfae , Cadillac Michigan 2016-2017 Season with grandsons

ciscokidciscokid expert
edited February 6 in Trip Reports Posts: 1,247
Had a good opening day at Caberfae with the 3 grandsons. Conditions were great, everything except the south peak triple was open and the guns were blowing. The only drawback(s) or disappointment was that the Shelter Hall double wasn't running( it was suppose to be open according to website/snow report). Someone said the motor it overheated, we got there at 11. The new Dopp triple didn't open until 2 ish so the Ctec quad was the only lift running therefore about 5-10 minute lineup.

Being this was Tyler's( age 6) second full day after his lesson at Crystal last March we stuck to the greens. Smiling Irishmen off the summit quad was our main run and Ty did well and enjoyed it. Easy street and shelter are nice runs with a couple neat little pine tree, snow laden runs getting back to the quad. We made a dozen runs or about 6000 vert stopping once for a p and J break. Snow conditions were excellent with powder to be found along the edges.

It was our first time using our season passes and anticipate several more.image
image.jpg
1500 x 1072 - 910K

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    The three boys last year at the Homestead. I didn't take any pics yesterday on my phone but took gopro video. Unfortunately the 64gb sandisk wouldn't play in the Samsung tv but would play on my wife's galaxy 5simage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    The Shelter lift ran today until around 3. I was wondering why it was not running after 3. At least they had the new triple and the quad going. I also think the snowstorm kept the crowds down today
    Love the retro come as you are feel

Saw a pair of Olin Mark IV orange skis!
    Ted a gal said they were going to put the lift into the backcountry
    I saw the same ski yesterday in the ski rack by the lodge. May have been the same ones. Caberfae says they are about the skiing and not about having fancy restaurants and spas. When you make a reservation at the hotel they tell you that are not a Boyne Mtn
    I would live to see that lift go in there, as long as they leave it ungroomed and no snowmaking
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Gosh, Cisco, the kids are growing up.  I wonder when they'll be big enough to mow you down (together).  "OK, on three, mow down Grandpa!"

Thanks for the report on them and Caberfae.

Woody

Gosh, Cisco, the kids are growing up.  I wonder when they'll be big enough to mow you down (together).  "OK, on three, mow down Grandpa!"

Thanks for the report on them and Caberfae.

Woody

Thanks Woody, Merry Christmas to you and your wife, hope all is well down Shenandoah way!
    edited January 8 Posts: 1,247

1/7/17

Been a month and way overdue for our 2nd visit to Caberfae to make some use of the season passes.

A very cold 9 degrees with a steady light lake effect snow with minimal wind provided a creamy ice free surface. The new Doppylmeyr triple along side the 25 yr old CTEC quad kept lines negligible. The old Hall diesel with mostly new wooden seats was busy with a couple minute lineimage

We skied for an hour and a half maybe 6-8 runs and it was time for lunch and a warmup in my favorite looking retro "Jetsonesque" lodge.
    A unusual sign in the soon to be 50 yr old Skyview cafeteria read "no smoking in food line". I saw two of them. On right side of poor picture at bottom.

Of course we took the last remaining ropetow to get there in remembrance of where now 12 yr old Carter took his very first lesson Dec of '08. Couldn't lose Tyler with his hunters orange pants.image

It was a great improvement and confidence day for 6 yr old Tyler, with the great snow surface and his practiced pizza his confidence was high and he went down his first two "black" trails off the new Vista Dopp triple which incidentally has a safety bar(hits me in the helmet). Here's a shot at the 1561' Vista summit of the three boys and 2 more from same position.e.imageimageimage

The 2 younger boys wanted to keep skiing after 4 hours but Carter's hands were cold and I needed to visit the boys room. I decided we would finish on a high note with now injuries and with greasy roads get rolling for the 80 mile trip home.

image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 964K
    Question: what percentage of older Hall doubles are electric run versus diesel? I always thought this Shelter Hall double was loud/ noisy and standing downwind noticed diesel smell.

Just some more retro observations , whilst in the Skyview funky lodge several Pabst Blue Ribbons were being consumed along with all the crockpots stewing. Also tailgating is a observed tradition in the parking lot which was full as can be seen in the second to last pic from the summit when zoomed in. Not only seems condoned but almost encouraged to bring your own food and beverages.

And of course a combination of old straight skis and the latest wide body planks and every thing in between.imageimage
    image.jpg
    299 x 191 - 25K
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 8 Posts: 1,588
    Great report. Way to get'em out there! In that one pic it looks steeper than I had envisioned.
    I think my tailgate days are over...hmm maybe not.. Killington Bear Peak was a favorite spot for that. Last time I was at Jay there were a some going on in the lots at Stateside. And quite a few do it at Sunapee right on the flat slope between the 2 lodges. It's kinda of a snow beach with signs, grills and lawn chairs.
    I've seen the hipsters in the tram line drinking tall boy PBRs. They must think it is a craft beer?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I went on Suday and we had very short lines and no wind. The snow was fantastic. If the shelter lift is a diesel power lift it seems awfully quiet for a diesel to me. I am going to take a better look next time I am there.
    edited January 11 Posts: 1,247
    The editor of skibum who we all know and love graciously put the boys pic on 1/9, now they think their famous

http://www.skibum.net/

Yes Ted the snow was great but after yesterday?....
    ciscokid said:

Yes Ted the snow was great but after yesterday?....

The forecast is calling for 4" of snow tonight into Thursday.Then cold temps after that. If they blow snow at least one night along with some natural things should be good for the weekend.

Ted I don't know why they say I-75 is open, there are two snow fences blocking it and really not much snow on it , not skiable IMHO . Seems they embellish snow totals too. ( not the only ones)

I do like this shot taken in the backcountry, Ted have you got over to the old tournament area in the backcountry?
    image.jpg
    1030 x 457 - 106K
    There is technicaly an uppper and lower I-75. You can access the lower part from Olympia and at that point it's maybe a blue square. I haven't been too far into the back country. Last year we went in a little bit and the hike out was not a lot of fun. Now I tend to stay fairly close to the shelter run that way to can ski out to the lift. The snow in the back country was very good on Sunday with lots of fresh snow to be found. I am not sure exactly where the tournament area is at. The friend of mine who I go with skied the Upper part of I-75 last year and got runs in before they closed it. The problem is most people end up pushing the snow down the steep part of the run. I personally have never seen it open
    IMG_0049.PNG
    750 x 1334 - 1M
    January 14 2017 Third day out

Finally a beautiful bluebird day at Caberfae. Temps mid twenties, little or no wind, and a full parking lot on MLK wkend. The 'fae was making lots of hay.
    After the freezing rain and up and down temps this week surface conditions were pretty good but was getting skied off down to some boilerplate later in the day. It was good to see the sun.
    It was just 9 yr old Brenny and 6 yr old Tyler hanging with gramps. Brenny rented a 130cm Rossi board for $26 and gramps found a pair of size 15 Dalbellos late model for a bargain $65 this week which retired the 21 yr old Technicas.oh what a feeling.

Here's the boys at the top of the new Doppolmyer 1561' Vistaimage

Here's a shot from the same position looking northeast to the backcountry entrance

For IBrake I got a couple shots ( did this a few yrs ago on sj1)of the side by side Dopp and Hall TBar remnants. Hall was a '75 install, Dopp a'63 I believe.

This is the remnant of the '67 Bo Buck Hall chair with the holes from where the earth was moved to make the north and south peaks

And of course the '68 Skyview lodge with a leaky roof in all her glory basking in the sunimage

The tables and chairs are on wheels, notice again the no smoking while in line sign, boy how times have changed but not this place.imageimage

We made it over to the south peak and rode the '83 install Riblet triple, was testing Tyler's skills

We made 25 runs or about 12,500 vert over 5 hours and the boys wanted to stay and ski under the lights but gramps said enough is enough. Boy these boots are easy to get on and off and comfy.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    Here's an aerial I posted before looking east. It has to be after '68 but before '75 as only the Dopp TBar is there and the Skyview is thereimage

This aerial looking south shows the current peaks plus all the old terrain which is accessible with a lot of hiking. Curious where they will put the old Hall double in which they dismantled this past yearimageimage
    image.jpg
    1000 x 487 - 173K
    image.jpg
    1892 x 1502 - 1M
    edited February 5 Posts: 1,247
    February 4, 2017

Another great day at Caberfae, partly sunny , mid 20's, light and variable winds. Once again it was the 2 youngest grandsons, the elder 12 year old Carter claimed illness. Don't know if he's losing interest in the sport or not, never the less we missed him.

This ended up almost a six and a half hour outing covering the both north and south peaks, a quick jaunt thru the backcountry, and 9 year old snowboarder Brendan making several jumps over the new Caberfae made jumps on the Canyon run. The new Doppylmayr triple had a snafu with its tensioning thereby setting off a safety device putting it out of service for a good hour pressuring the line on the adjacent quad. The crowds were roughly 30 percent lighter than 3 weeks ago in my estimation.

Here's a couple shots where much earth was taken for the building of the north and south peak enhancement .imageimage

Tyler in day glow exiting the backcountryimage

The boys would have kept going to closing at 9 if I didn't say enough is enough. I'm going to estimate 30 runs at 500 vertical per, so we had our fill.
    Sunset shot

Not quite a Bohemia trip but still out skiing with loved ones, booked 2 nights at Boyne mountain run condos in a month so we will do a day at the Avalanche bay water park and Sunday fundays skiing with a bargain $25 12-4:30 lift ticket. Even the boys mom anticipates a day on the slopes with her sons while gramma watches my little year and half old granddaughter.

Here's a shot of the inoperable for an hour or so new Doppolmayr Vista 1561'(elevation) triple at 3 pmimageimage

Just another great day with 2 of the 3 grandsons on day # 4 using our season passes.
    Boys at the start of the dayimageimageimage

Boys at end of day under lights with neon day glow ski pants in all their glory.
    Looking forward to the possible meet up with fellow Snowjournalist Ted Reilly in a couple weeksimage
    IMG_0893.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG_0896.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 950K
    IMG_0900.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG_0918.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
    IMG_0890.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    IMG_0890.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    IMG_0923.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
    Bulldozers ready image

Shelter run with Hall doubleimage

From near bottom of south peak looking up to '83 Riblet tripleimage

Looking Down from
    Same positionimage
    IMG_0898.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG_0903.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    IMG_0903.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    IMG_0915.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
    IMG_0916.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    Cabby kids taking lessons amid the lone remaining rope tow ( used to be 20 surface lifts!) with lost tears and excavated backcountry terrainimage

Yes they do have a semi modern day lodge

In addition to my favorite '68 Jetsonesque Skyviewimageimage

A full parking lot in distance dictated a hugely positive cash flow dayimage
    IMG_0908.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG_0905.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG_0909.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    IMG_0879.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG_0910.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    Hotel reservations are made. I will be there on the 18th. Skiing with loved ones is the best kind of skiing