Photos for Chairlift.org

Comments

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited June 2015 Posts: 777
    imageimageThis is the Spillway Chair at Sugarloaf on April 17th, 2007 after 100" of new snow fell in 10 days time. The lift is deeply buried.image

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Spillway Chair.jpg
    1428 x 1071 - 316K
    Spillway C.jpg
    2856 x 2142 - 880K

Spillway Chair 4-17-07

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Spillway 323.jpg
    2856 x 2142 - 786K

imageimage

Queeche, Vermont January 2014

Queeche1.jpg
    3296 x 2472 - 946K
    T-bar.jpg
    1648 x 1236 - 323K
    Where were these great blustery t-bar photos taken?

IBRAKE
  • orangegondolaorangegondola intermediate
    I put more of those vintage Killington pics up tonight.  Thanks!

IBRAKE

I don't know about the first one, but the second was of a Poma t-bar at Quechee. Here's a photo from my trip there:image
    - Sam
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 201K

IBRAKE

Breckenridge, Colorado

North Bowl / Horseshoe Bowl, Breckenridge Colorado 2-2005

Horsehoe Bowl.jpg
    1428 x 1071 - 285K
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,059
    Here are the last of them:

imageJ-Bar, Otis Ridge (abandoned)

imageJ-Bar, Otis Ridge

imageDouble and T-Bar, Otis Ridge

imageT-Bar, Otis Ridge (Doppelmayr)

imageDouble, Otis Ridge (Poma)

imageBase Area, Crotched

imageWest Quad, Crotched (Riblet)

imageCrotched Rocket, Crotched (Garaventa - CTEC)

imageCrotched Rocket, Crotched

imageDouble, Blue Hills (Hall)

imageDouble, Blue Hills

imageDouble, Blue Hills

imageDouble, Blue Hills

imageT-Bar, Veterans Memorial (Heron)

imageT-Bar, Veterans Memorial

- Sam
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 230K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 243K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 255K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 362K
    image.jpg
    1024 x 1280 - 278K
    image.jpg
    1024 x 1280 - 315K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 359K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 560K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 288K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 559K
    image.jpg
    1024 x 1280 - 250K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 438K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 287K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 230K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 274K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 272K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 274K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 429K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 633K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 217K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 221K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 238K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 266K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 346K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 535K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 448K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 567K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 310K
    Oh wait! I've got a few more of the new Sun Bowl Express at Sunapee!

imageSun Bowl Express, Sunapee (Poma)

imageSun Bowl Express, Sunapee
    - Sam
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 221K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 274K
  • JimKJimK advanced
    Can someone suggest a short list of lifts/ski areas where he has a need for more pictures?  Especially if his gaps are at some fairly well know places.  I've probably got quite a few lift photos from around the US, but they are among tens of thousands of photos I've taken and stored digitally and it would be easier for me to have some focus to the question.
    JimK said:

Can someone suggest a short list of lifts/ski areas where he has a need for more pictures?  Especially if his gaps are at some fairly well know places.  I've probably got quite a few lift photos from around the US, but they are among tens of thousands of photos I've taken and stored digitally and it would be easier for me to have some focus to the question.

There are many! Check the website: http://www.chairlift.org/pictures.html

It really is amazing how many are on there though! Great job!
    - Sam

This is awesome, will try and get some more up tonight.  I will never see my wife and daughter again as I will be in my office updating chairlift.org :)

• Schweig_1Schweig_1 intermediate

Jay Peak

March 21, 1997

imageimage
    Jay1.jpeg
    2607 x 1861 - 3M
    Jay2.jpeg
    1721 x 1140 - 1M
    Fantastic shots
    I know that I've said this before, but fell free to use any photos of mine that I post on any website such as Chairlift.org!
    - Sam
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited June 2015 Posts: 232
    Edit:  Oops, just realized I should be staying just to lift photos??  Will remember that next post.

Here are some Mt. Abram, ME photos from 2012, not long after the big fire destroyed the old lodge.
    Wayback Machine double chair and base area with fabric lodge, post fire.

Heading to Rocky's Run, perhaps the best black diamond slope at Mt. Abram

View from Rocky's Run:

Looking up at Rocky's Run, with rock band visible.

Snowboarder under Upper Wayback Machine lift

Steep terrain under Upper Wayback lift

The trail under the Wayback lift is called Fractured Fairy Tales

View from somewhere on the upper mtn

Lift ticket office

Thanks,

Abram looks awesome, have to get it on my bucket list.  It appears to ski much like Magic.

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert

It appears to ski much like Magic.

If by that you mean good value, low key atmosphere, friendly people, infrastructure a bit run down, then yes I would agree. The skiing is fun, but not in the same league as Magic
    Abram is great! It's a lot cheaper than Magic and also less crowded! Personally I'd rather ski Abram than Magic. They both have very challenging trails, but Abram has more lifts as well as good beginner terrain. Abram also has more modern and updated infastructure such as their snowmaking equipment.
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Well I applaud your enthusiasm!   Are you from Beldingsville VT by any chance?   ;)

Well I applaud your enthusiasm!   Are you from Beldingsville VT by any chance?   ;)

Nope! ;))
    For the record both are great uncrowded, less expensive, challenging large mountains!
    - Sam
  • JimKJimK advanced
    I notice you don't have many photos from Blue Knob ski area in western PA.  It is the place I have skied the most in my life.  Here is one of my favorite photos of the main double chair that covers the full vertical of the mtn.  You are looking at one very large Steeler's fan:

This photo shows both of the double chairs (the longer one is in the background) that parallel each other and go pretty much the complete vertical.  The trail being skied is Extrovert, perhaps the best black diamond south of New England.

Here is a fun view of Extrovert from the Snowpocalypse of Feb 2010.  Far snowier and friendlier bumps than the usual man-made concrete. The shorter double chair can be seen here.  Believe the longer double is not in photo except for a pole pad to right.  The steep part of Extrovert depicted here goes for about 700 vertical feet of which the top 250' vertical feet is above and not shown.

This is from Feb 2010 as well.  This is the shorter (only by about 100') of the two main doubles at BK.  The ski trail is called High Hopes.  The skier just had a total knee replacement a few months before this picture was taken:

This is the triple chair at Blue Knob, there are a lot of good, steep fall line runs at BK, groomers, bumps, and when the natural snow is good - glades too:

This is the view from the summit of Blue Knob.  It's the second highest mtn in PA, just over 3000'.  You can see the lift line for the triple chair crosses over both doubles.  Pretty bizarre set-up.

Another shot near the summit of Blue Knob showing all three primary chairlifts at the ski area.  The two guys are riding the longest double, the slightly shorter double parallels below them.  The triple crosses over both doubles behind them.  There is also a chairlift to the right not shown in this photo that serves a scenic beginner slope off the summit. 

• JimKJimK advanced
    More photos.
    Here are some photos from Seven Springs, PA, my son was a ski instructor there about five years ago.  This is the base of the big six pack (Polar Bear Express) on the front side of the mtn and that is the very large base lodge.  There is a high rise hotel to the right, not seen in this photo.

Another shot of the Polar Bear Express from mid-mtn on the front side of the ski area.  The Cortina Quad can be seen in the mid-background.  The Tyrol triple is in far background and hard to see.

This is near the summit of the North Face terrain (backside) of Seven Springs and I believe this is the North Face Quad Chair.  These first two Seven Springs photos are from 2011, not sure if some of these lifts have been upgraded since then.

This is the North Pole Quad Chair at Seven Springs, also on North Face.  This photo is from 2012:
    Is the first double shown in the Blue Knob photos an older Dopp. design before the standard towers with masts? Those are rare and it's a cool lift if it is!
    - Sam
  • JimKJimK advanced
    Not sure about the composition of the lifts.  The two long doubles date back to 1962-63 time frame.  Maybe something here on lift construction:  http://www.blueknobskipatrol.org/detailed-historical-facts.html
    Those are some strange CTEC carriers on that triple chair at Blue Knob.  Never seen another with that shape frame.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited June 2015 Posts: 583
    that trail at Blue Knob looks pretty steep, reminds of Cascade or Downdraft at K - the angle into the Canyon.