Private poma/ t-bar off 91 North in VT?

On the way to Dartmouth Skiway yesterday, my wife and I noticed what appeared to be the top terminal of a t-bar/poma just off the east side of the northbound lanes of 91 in VT.  This is between the Norwich and Thetford exits. I scoured google maps, but came up with nothing; either because it's new, or because its so small it isn't picked up. Has anyone else seen this?

I think it's rather new because I travel this route frequently in summer, but have never seen it before.

D

Comments

On the east side? So over the river and through the woods to New Hampshire? I take it that it wasn't Storrs Hill in Lebanon but how about Storrs Pond Recreation Area in Hanover. They have mountain biking trails.

http://www.storrspond.org/activities/mountain-biking/

Is it on the east side of rt 10?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I think they mean off the side of the highway, in Vermont. Several fields show up on satellite- no evidence of lift
    Storrs is south of the southbound lane of I-89, a long way from Norwich or Thetford. 
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 412
    No.. not Storrs. It's literally on the east side of the highway, like 100 feet off the traveled lane. super close, and dosen't show up on google...(yet?)  (which is why I can't locate it!)

• edited January 2017 Posts: 4,667

Storrs is south of the southbound lane of I-89, a long way from Norwich or Thetford. 

I know where they are, I don't know where he is. Storrs Hill is only 5.6 miles in a straight line from the Norwich exit on I-91, but most likely not visible from there.

Storrs Pond Recreation Area is less than a mile east of I-91. But both are clearly farther than 100 ft away, so is this a top down ski area from I-91 down towards the river? Do you think it was after that bend in the road right before the 113 exit? 

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

No.. not Storrs. It's literally on the east side of the highway, like 100 feet off the traveled lane. super close, and dosen't show up on google...(yet?)  (which is why I can't locate it!)

How far from either exit? I see some potential fields on GE and if you can narrow down the location maybe Street View will show something?

• How far from either exit? I see some potential fields on GE and if you can narrow down the location maybe Street View will show something?

I can't recall/.. I've been scouring google earth streetview up and down 91 all morning and am coming up with nothing. I'll have to look for it, stop in the brakedown lane and snap a pic next time I'm up that way.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,667

How far from either exit? I see some potential fields on GE and if you can narrow down the location maybe Street View will show something?

I can't recall/.. I've been scouring google earth streetview up and down 91 all morning and am coming up with nothing. I'll have to look for it, stop in the brakedown lane and snap a pic next time I'm up that way.
    Ya didn't make a stop at Harpoon, River Roost or Jasper's  before that, did ya?  ;)   Stopping on the highway sounds dangerous, use your Go-Pro or SkiTracks App instead.
  • ski_it said:

Ya didn't make a stop at Harpoon, River Roost or Jasper's  before that, did ya?  ;)   Stopping sounds dangerous, use your Go-Pro or SkiTracks App instead.
    LOL.. no stops at the fun places before!

I think this is the general spot; although GE only shows a burn pile at its location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7290164,-72.2815863,3a,85y,115.69h,84.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smbVvc6O4X6gCfgpKu06_Yg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The only area that has any type of supporting vertical and orientation is in the area of River Road Vet and Killdeer Farm.

43.734609, -72.273804 

I searched the interwebs for those places and found nothing about a lift.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Is there a local road parallel to Route 91 in that neck of the woods? Maybe you can get off the Interstate and drive back to that site and slake your curiosity. Or, see ski it's suggestion above. Or, to hell with it.
  • Bill29 said:

Is there a local road parallel to Route 91 in that neck of the woods? Maybe you can get off the Interstate and drive back to that site and slake your curiosity. Or, see ski it's suggestion above. Or, to hell with it.

yea, there is a local road, I'll check it next time I'm up there. Who knows, the whole thing might just be some rednecks overbuilt laundry line!

I was just funning with DJ. I also did some IE searches & only turned up this post. I checked the Thetford Academy site, It says they train at Dartmouth. Any Nordic areas around there? Jmaul why not in the Quail John Rd part of Thetford.

And yes, rt 5 parallels 91. 

• Interesting.  That's not an area of VT that I know.

We usually solve these Hey-I-saw-a-ski-area! posts pretty quickly.  Glad to have a stumper and hope that it does turn out to be at least a "place to ski".

Woody
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 1,435

Storrs is across the river from 91, nowhere near 89.  Coordinates are N 43.72233 W 72.26133.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 2,493
    obienick said:

Storrs is across the river from 91, nowhere near 89.  Coordinates are N 43.72233 W 72.26133.
    No - Storrs "Hill" (the New England History page you linked to) is very much near 89, so much so you can see it from the highway about 1 mile away.

Storr's Pond up in Hanover is not, but doesn't have a lift either.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 1,033

ski_it said:

The USGS topo at djspookman's spot shows a 60-70 vertical-foot drop away from the Interstate down to a brook. It's cleared and there's a driveway in to that spot, off Goodrich 4 Corners Road. I also did a survey of the topo in the area and didn't see any more likely-looking spot.

Oh, and I see the brush or log pile in both the street view and the aerial, and the driveway is going steeply uphill to the high point.

• mapnut said:

ski_it said:
    The USGS topo at djspookman's spot shows a 60-70 vertical-foot drop away from the Interstate down to a brook. It's cleared and there's a driveway in to that spot, off Goodrich 4 Corners Road. I also did a survey of the topo in the area and didn't see any more likely-looking spot.
    yup. Enough for some quick 'after work' laps if it is indeed someones private tow! (I have a 40' vert hill at my house that's pretty fun..but no tow yet ;) )

JMaul's location has 120 to 140 vertical feet but is all wooded.

• edited January 2017 Posts: 580

ski_it said:

Oh, and I see the brush or log pile in both the street view and the aerial, and the driveway is going steeply uphill to the high point.

I checked this area as well. Looked more like a logging/firewood operation. Could have changed but the vertical didn't seem to warrant a T-Bar. Rope tow? Maybe.
  • JMaul said:

ski_it said:

I checked this area as well. Looked more like a logging/firewood operation. Could have changed but the vertical didn't seem to warrant a T-Bar. Rope tow? Maybe.

Maybe someone's aerial log yarder setup?

• edited January 2017 Posts: 412

Maybe someone's aerial log yarder setup?

yah, that could be too, but it's awfully small for that I think. It's definitely got a small return bullwheel (40"? or so) and something hanging off it that looks like a t-bar carrier/ poma stick.
    You can remember all that but not where it is?? :D :D
  • ski_it said:

You can remember all that but not where it is?? :D :D

LOL.. yeah, the joys of my brain!  The google maps link above in a previous shows were it is.

I stopped in to check this thing out today.. it is indeed a private poma/ disc lift!  Pictures coming tomorrow at this short and STEEP little area!.... "Grill Hill"

D

I stopped in to check this thing out today.. it is indeed a private poma/ disc lift!  Pictures coming tomorrow at this short and STEEP little area!.... "Grill Hill"

D

Interesting.......Can't wait to see.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 412
    Ok, so here it is; Grill Hill, Norwich, VT. Might just be VT's 'newest' platter pull. This is PRIVATE land though, and I took all images from the public road (which is only about 30 feet from the bottom terminal).  Anyone know what manufacturer  (if any) this might be?  It has a nice floating return bullwheel.  There is quite a bit of varied terrain they've been shaping that accessed by this surface lift; steep glades, some field, some narrow workroad. Also looks to have lights for some limited night skiing. Looks like it was a fun personal project!

D

Awesome nice work
    Thanks for the follow-up! If that's the location we found above, looks like the vertical is about 80 feet?