And the West gets Blasted

in The Pit Posts: 4,667
Nice. A small sample: 57" at Diamond Peak, 47" at Northstar and 28" at Steamboat in last 48hrs
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

And there's an ariel flood advisory for Tahoe now from late tonight through Monday evening, with the worst being Sunday night into Monday with upto 6-10" of RAIN forecasted for them!!!!!!
    Oh man that sucks
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Sierra Cement at its ugliest... 
    Regardless, I hope for the sake of food prices, that the melt-out this spring yield huge increases to the depleted reservoirs of the drought-stricken west coast.

Image may contain: indoor

Those are some serious totals!

As Joshua said, they really need the water in California. Drove from Tahoe to SF not that long ago and it is a dry, ugly situation.

The rain will be a disaster for them in Tahoe. The flooding will make the news, but then it is bask to a week of snow again as the Pineapple Express keeps cranking.

Boreal is reporting 92" this morning for the past week. 7 feet, I can only imagine how many people need to get on their roofs and start shoveling.

As for the drough comment, I couldn't agree more. This rain is heavily needed and for it be caught up in snow until the spring, ideal for a big spring to summer yield.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 445

Here is the anticipated snowfall (inches) from Saturday thru Monday. This is taking the rainfall into account! Very scary stuff.

NJSki said:

Here is the anticipated snowfall (inches) from Saturday thru Monday. This is taking the rainfall into account! Very scary stuff.

totals snowfall

Squaw and Alpine closed today (Monday). Insanely high avy danger all over the region.
    174 MPH wind gusts at Alpine Meadows!
    I bet that will make some big cornices.

Here comes the next round. Up to 10 feet of snow on it's way. "LIFE THREATENING SITUATION"

GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, TRUCKEE, STATELINE,
    AND INCLINE VILLAGE
    351 AM PST TUE JAN 10 2017

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST WEDNESDAY...
    ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM WEDNESDAY TO 4 AM
    PST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
    WARNING, WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER
    STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM WEDNESDAY TO 4 AM PST
    THURSDAY.

* TIMING: DANGEROUS BLIZZARD CONDITIONS DUE TO HEAVY SNOW AND
      STRONG WINDS WILL CONTINUE TODAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.
      PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH
      WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING: 5 TO 10 FEET ABOVE
      7000 FEET WITH 3 TO 7 FEET AT LAKE TAHOE LEVEL.

* WINDS: SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH THROUGH
      WEDNESDAY MORNING. SIERRA RIDGE GUSTS OVER 100 MPH.

* SNOW LEVELS: BELOW LAKE LEVEL...MAY BRIEFLY RISE TO 6500 FEET
      THIS AFTERNOON BEFORE FALLING AGAIN.

* IMPACTS: DANGEROUS LIFE THREATENING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH
      NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY WILL EXIST FOR TRAVEL AND OUTDOOR
      ACTIVITIES WITH HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATION ON ALL SIERRA ROADS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THIS IS A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRAVEL!
    ROAD CREWS AND FIRST RESPONDERS MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RESCUE YOU.
    STAY INDOORS UNTIL THE SNOW AND WIND SUBSIDE. EVEN A SHORT WALK
    COULD BE DEADLY IF YOU BECOME DISORIENTED.

• edited January 2017 Posts: 1,033

Holy shmoop, sounds apocalyptic even for the High Sierra. "Do not attempt to travel" but get to the grocery store before it's too late!

Worst blizzard I can remember was 3 feet and I was isolated at home for 5 days. Imagine 7 feet at once?

[Excuse me. Just so you know, I never said schmoop.]

That would be the ultimate skier's irony.  Get to a place where it's snowing so much your vacation is ruined.  Never happened to me, but I'd be willing to take my chances with it once :-bd
    JimK said:

That would be the ultimate skier's irony.  Get to a place where it's snowing so much your vacation is ruined.  Never happened to me, but I'd be willing to take my chances with it once :-bd

Sounds like an episode of the Twilight Zone. The one where Burgess Meredith survived the nuclear holocaust because he was reading a book in the bank safe. (He was a book nut) He thinks he is in paradise now because he found the library and all the books he can read, but his glasses break and he can't see.

NJSki said:

JimK said:

Sounds like an episode of the Twilight Zone. The one where Burgess Meredith survived the nuclear holocaust because he was reading a book in the bank safe. (He was a book nut) He thinks he is in paradise now because he found the library and all the books he can read, but his glasses break and he can't see.

That's a good one. He kept saying its just not fair!
    I'm wondering what kind of flooding this could cause in the future for those out that way?
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 445
    They were expecting a lot worse over the weekend. 8-12 inches of rain expected, but "only" 5.5 inches received. Minor flooding. The key to busting the drought is a deep snowpack that melts slowly. This feast or famine helps, but not what they really need