Boston Mills Ski Area in Richfield, OH from I-271S!

edited January 2017 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,836
Boston Mills Ski Area is one of four ski hills outside Cleveland. With the cold weather we've got it's perfect snowmaking temperatures! image

Comments

• edited January 2017 Posts: 1,435
    "Hill" is a misnomer here.  Boston Mills & Brandywine are down into a river valley. 

Never got a chance to ski it.
    obienick said:

"Hill" is a misnomer here.  Boston Mills & Brandywine are down into a river valley. 

Never got a chance to ski it.
    And  the two areas are combined operated by Peak Resorts.
  • Also Alpine Valley: a third ski hill in Chesterland, just east of Cleveland and right by the snow belt. It's got the largest vertical drop of all four areas.
    AV is basically piles of dirt pushed to make hills. Fun little place though- I believe they still have rope tows on a couple of the little piles.
  • AV is basically piles of dirt pushed to make hills. Fun little place though- I believe they still have rope tows on a couple of the little piles.

I've been by it many times. If it's man made it's the most natural looking ski hill here, next to the Cleveland Ski Clubs hill. Brandywine for sure has been the generous recipient of earth moving. :D

IBRAKE
  • Brandywineimage
    - Sam
  • Brandywineimage

You especially see the sculpting magic on Brandywine's backside: a nearly 2,000 ft long, perfectly graded intermediate slope served by a quad chair. You can see the top of that lift in the right of the above photo.

IBRAKE

• edited January 2017 Posts: 5,479

Brandywineimage

You especially see the sculpting magic on Brandywine's backside: a nearly 2,000 ft long, perfectly graded intermediate slope served by a quad chair. You can see the top of that lift in the right of the above photo.

IBRAKE

In 2015 I climbed up Brandywine's backside from an abandoned house in the National Park. Here's a photo of that slope under the quad that you mentioned:image

Fun Fact: Boston Mills and Brandywine are two of only four ski areas in the US within a National Park. Can anyone name the other two?
    - Sam
    Cleveland Ski Club is a fun little area. Skied it a bunch in the 80's. Had a little drop between the 2 main slopes called Zot or something similar. Big fun.

Brandywineimage

IBRAKE

In 2015 I climbed up Brandywine's backside from an abandoned house in the National Park. Here's a photo of that slope under the quad that you mentioned:image

Fun Fact: Boston Mills and Brandywine are two of only four ski areas in the US within a National Park. Can anyone name the other two?
    The one in Yosemite is one
  • ciscokid said:

Brandywineimage

IBRAKE

The one in Yosemite is one
    Yes, Badger Pass is one.
    - Sam
    Hurricane Ridge in Olympic Nat'l Pk
    (There used to be Ski Estes Pk/Hidden Valley in RMNP, and I think a small area in Yellowstone) The NPS doesn't like ski areas in national parks.
  • flbski said:

Hurricane Ridge in Olympic Nat'l Pk
    (There used to be Ski Estes Pk/Hidden Valley in RMNP, and I think a small area in Yellowstone) The NPS doesn't like ski areas in national parks.

Yes, that's the fourth.
    - Sam
    How many of these 4 are actually on NPS land as opposed to just wihtin the overall park boundary (but privately held or held by BLM/NFS/state)?
    Pretty sure Badger Pass and Hurricane Ridge are NPS leases.

• edited January 2017 Posts: 2,962
    Used to be a ski tow at Mount Rainier NP near the Paradise Inn.  Lou Whittaker was a long time concessionaire of the ski tow.   

flbski is correct about BP & HR

BM/BW are apparently private land within the boundaries, according to the NPS fact sheet they are part of 2,010 acres of private institutional ownership

Couple of ski areas that border national parks include Ober Gatlinburg,  Jackson Hole, Crystal Mountain.   
    Wintergreen VA borders an NPS unit.  

Brian Head  and Shawnee (PA)  are super close to NPS units, I'm sure there are others.    Mt. Tom VT did border an NPS unit but I think it closed prior.