First Harbinger of Spring 2017

From today's Killington Snow Report:

Saturday's projects include a fresh surface on Outer Limits, the start of our spring stockpile on Superstar and a snowmaking return to Lower Dream Maker Park and Lower Wildfire.

Comments

Spring beers have hit the coolers and tap rotation line up <:-P :D
    We are also at the minimum for average temperature and its up from here until August.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    Stowe has been saying they've been blowing spring depths on Hayride, Nosedive, and others for the past few weeks.
    Wild Mountain Minnesota announced a "Spring Special Season Pass Sale" this morning.  Sheesh, it's still January! 

I don't buy Spring beer until March.  Still choking down that Winter Warmer stuff
    Spring?  Winter is just setting up here in NH. Many, many days of winter skiing before the long spring run.  I think K may just make June this year with the World Cup head start.  Lets hope so anyway!
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,839
    Chuckstah said:

Spring?  Winter is just setting up here in NH. Many, many days of winter skiing before the long spring run.  I think K may just make June this year with the World Cup head start.  Lets hope so anyway!

By my calculations, Feb. 8 is the half-way point of the season.  That being said, the content of this thread and the following summary of this thread are clear indications that the first harbingers of spring have arrived:
    1.  Killington begins building the Superstar Glacier
    2.  Stowe: building "spring depths" on Hayride, Nosedive, etc.
    3. Wild Mtn., MN began selling its "spring special pass" (One might guess they are having cash flow issues rather than rushing the season)
    4.  Wx: Miinimum "average" temps have arrived and are on their way up.  (Again, this is average.  Past performance is not necessarily a predicter of future results).
    5. General: Spring beers have arrived

• edited January 2017 Posts: 2,962
    Harbingers of Spring would also include that furry Pennsylvania Marmota from the order Rodentia scheduled to show his miserable face in two days.

If he gives the wrong answer, I say shoot to kill.
    Bah, winter just starting in NH.
  • newpylong said:

Bah, winter just starting in NH.

I support. The long term forecast has no temperatures above freezing. Meaning continued powder piling.
  • Harbingers of Spring would also include that furry Pennsylvania Marmota from the order Rodentia scheduled to show his miserable face in two days.

If he gives the wrong answer, I say shoot to kill.
    They said on one of the morning shows that Puxatony Phil is only right 33% of the time!
  • I needed to kill around three hours waiting for my car to be worked on this morning. Picked up the current issue of Ski Magazine on the way there.  It is already the Spring issue.  On the front cover: "Extend Your Season"...with an apology from the Editor on page 12, for having to mention the end so early.  
    Being able to ski until last chair and still get home before dark. +/- a couple weeks, depending on how far you live from the mtn.
  • jgreco said:

Being able to ski until last chair and still get home before dark. +/- a couple weeks, depending on how far you live from the mtn.

I ski at Crotched Mtn.  That won't happen since we're open 'til 9PM.

It's a generality. I ski at Jiminy which closes at 10 p.m. and live 3 miles from the lodge, but when I ski elsewhere, it's nice to leave a day area at the end of the day and get home while it's light out. Whether it's an hour away now, or two plus hours away at the end of the month.

• jgreco said:

It's a generality. I ski at Jiminy which closes at 10 p.m. and live 3 miles from the lodge, but when I ski elsewhere, it's nice to leave a day area at the end of the day and get home while it's light out. Whether it's an hour away now, or two plus hours away at the end of the month.

I suspect that the harbinger of spring to which you refer is that days are getting longer.
    And the harbinger of stockpiling snow on Outer Limits is that the days will be getting warmer?
    And how about tomorrow's (Feb. 9) harbinger - a predicted 8 to 12 inches of snow for Central Massachusetts. We'll see whether it really happens. If it does, it'll be the most snow we've gotten here this winter.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,417
    A little over a month til spring now.  And, however much I deny it, it is coming.  The Killington spring pass is a sign, and a great deal.
    I could not link the page, but it's on sale now for $189. March 17 til the end, hopefully in June.

• Don't be so pessimistic!  Spring comes after April.

Bought mine Fri. night!
  • jgreco said:

And the harbinger of stockpiling snow on Outer Limits is that the days will be getting warmer?

I assume you mean "Superstar".
    50+ degrees the past 2 days in CVT....hope the snow hangs in until the real spring...