A Snow Making Thread

Comments

I could see Haystack making snow from Mt Snow yesterday. Mt Snow, Crotched and Attitash said they would make some Sunday nite or during the week when possible. Any others?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Add Killington to that list. Sugarbush and Stowe have no mention of it in their snow reports.
    Mt Snow will start snowmaking on Thursday night. I was hoping for some last night for skiing today, but with rain in the forecast, that doesn't make sense.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
  • Magic will be making snow again
    - Sam
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,417
    Loon was hooking up hoses today to resume blowing Thursday.   Okemo and Pico said they would resume also.  And add Cannon to the ever growing list.
  • How many of these places do you think are actually trying to lay down extra base and improve conditions versus a marketing ploy to get more revenue this weekend and next, etc?
    I would not expect many places to do more than spot-cover some lunar spots.

mtsnow123 said:

How many of these places do you think are actually trying to lay down extra base and improve conditions versus a marketing ploy to get more revenue this weekend and next, etc?

Personally I think there is a lot of marketing going on, but areas do need to put some snow down to get base depths up for spring and no doubt cover some areas that are close to un-skiable. Interesting to see how much full, ttb trail resurfacing occurs vs. spot areas.
  • mtsnow123 said:

How many of these places do you think are actually trying to lay down extra base and improve conditions versus a marketing ploy to get more revenue this weekend and next, etc?

All areas need to resurface from the thaw/freeze cycle we are currently going through. Base levels are extremely low for this time of year. We shouldn't be seeing brown streaks in the snow till at least march.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,811
    I'll be up at Mount Snow on Saturday and its forecasted to be the coldest day of this stretch of cold weather. I think they will put down a fair amount of snow on the fan gun runs.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
  • sugarloaf said:

I'll be up at Mount Snow on Saturday and its forecasted to be the coldest day of this stretch of cold weather. I think they will put down a fair amount of snow on the fan gun runs.

I'll be there Friday through Sunday. Looking forward to seeing the fan guns light up the mountain from my condo window.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,667

I don't want to be negative as Mt Snow did a fantastic job Sunday considering the cards they were dealt last week. Now this midweek doesn't look too positive either. You may need to change your skiing approach there because last Sunday not all trails were wall to wall. Some unmarked crevices, trenches & melt thru holes along with bare spots & large "hard" spots were common. I'm sure there was not enough time or poles to mark everything. You had to forget about going into the ungroomed, still many trails were well covered and the skiing quite enjoyable. I guess what I'm saying to myself is, variable conditions, so be careful.   

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_it said:

I don't want to be negative as Mt Snow did a fantastic job Sunday considering the cards they were dealt last week. Now this midweek doesn't look too positive either. You may need to change your skiing approach there because last Sunday not all trails were wall to wall. Some unmarked crevices, trenches & melt thru holes along with bare spots & large "hard" spots were common. I'm sure there was not enough time or poles to mark everything. You had to forget about going into the ungroomed, still many trails were well covered and the skiing quite enjoyable. I guess what I'm saying to myself is, variable conditions, so be careful.   

Thanks for the head's up. Fortunately I have a season pass, so if it's a bad day, I'll do one or two runs and not feel bad. What could get tricky is poor conditions with lots of novice skiers/riders. I can't tell you how many times Green Circle runs (i.e. Long John) could be considered Black Diamonds purely with the amount of traffic and need for spacial consideration of others.
    ski_it said:

They had basically a 3 stage grooming plan at Mount Snow on Sunday - Some terrain they didn't groom, and as the day went on and the water drained a bit, it had a firm, but grippy surface.  Other terrain they groomed once after the freeze up and it was some classical death cookies. And a few core trails they groomed multiple times after the freeze up and created some classic loose granular that piled up as traffic hit it.

They also "tracked up" a bunch of trails before the freeze up (ran the cats without the tillers down) which helps them more quickly get the surface back to loose granular with smaller death cookies.

Personally I spent most of Sunday inside the safety netting of the race course on South Bowl working course maintenance - the surface they provided for the race was PERFECT, hard, fast snow that held up great all day for all the kids racing!
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,811
    I'm sure that 36 hours of snowmaking will help improve the skiing for Saturday. Lows in the 10's on Thursday night and near 0F will be ideal for snowmaking on Friday night.
    Most areas have unfulfilled commitments for March.  I suspect most of them will be blowing snow later this week.  And as an optimist: March can be a very snowy month.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,667

"I can't tell you how many times Green Circle runs (i.e. Long John) could be considered Black Diamonds purely with the amount of traffic and need for special consideration of others." And those classic loose granular piles they build up but have a hard time skiing.

How true!

"...the surface they provided for the race was PERFECT, hard, fast snow that held up great all day for all the kids racing!"

Of course! Anything for those annoying racers! ;)   It did look really, really nice. And you'll notice I didn't list any of the best runs of the day. I'm saving them for myself.   :D

It was a spring skiing mindset in February. :((

I was hoping to have an extended skiing season at Mount Snow with my pass. With the thaw and the prospect of another one next week, that's looking less likely. I'm sure they will make it through March, but skiing in April might be very limited.
    ski_it said:

"I can't tell you how many times Green Circle runs (i.e. Long John) could be considered Black Diamonds purely with the amount of traffic and need for special consideration of others." And those classic loose granular piles they build up but have a hard time skiing.

How true!

"...the surface they provided for the race was PERFECT, hard, fast snow that held up great all day for all the kids racing!"

Of course! Anything for those annoying racers!  ;)  It did look really, really nice. And you'll notice I didn't list any of the best runs of the day. I'm saving them for myself.   :D

It was a spring skiing mindset in February.  :((

Trust me when I say that by "perfect" for racing, I don't mean buffed courduroy, but firmer than the ungroomed stuff I skied on Drop, parts of Low Traverse, and middle Ex just below where those ice bumps next to the Grand Summit were!! Lol!

Mtn Ops actually put the cats with tillers down on South Bowl soon after the front passed on Saturday night and the temp was dropping quick, but before it froze up. It put down a true frozen corduroy surface that didn't chunk out and/or break down all day, even after 150+ strong skiing U12 racers tackled the course. Most casual skiers would of called South Bowl's surface on Sunday plain and simply just ice. But for the kids in spandex on race tuned stiff GS skis, it was a bunch of fun and perfect snow!

The challenging thing for those of use signed up to do course maintenance, which on most race days entails some regular slide slipping and power wedging out any soft snow from the race line, is because of the downpour Saturday night followed by the quick freeze up and then the BIG winds Saturday night, we had to reset about 250 yards of the B-netting (the safety netting lining the race course) which took about 2hrs of redrilling the support poles, chipping the ice off the wing nuts and post clamps that hold the netting up on the support poles to get the netting to the proper height on the snow, and replace about a half dozen support poles that snapped in half when the winds blew!

Combine that prerace work with the post race taking down of the close to a mile of B-netting that lined both sides of South Bowl, and Sunday was one of the most intense "work out" days I've ever had on the hill!!

Had me wishing that I didn't have to drive home Sunday afternoon so I could properly "rehydrate" after all the sweat I shed doing course work, up in the Station Taproom! :)

• edited March 2017 Posts: 1,811
    When did Mount Snow close for the season last year? I see there are events scheduled through 4/2/17. I guess they will be opened daily through then and perhaps weekends through to Easter.

I can understand Dr Jeff about the course.  From inside my comfy bubble, I spied you dedicated souls continuing to work hard late in the day.
    If you see an old guy in the Tap Room with an ISNE shirt on, feel free to say hi.

"When did Mount Snow close for the season last year?"

I believe it was Sunday April 3rd, 2016. It was the last day for many in the East.

ski_it said:

I can understand Dr Jeff about the course.  From inside my comfy bubble, I spied you dedicated souls continuing to work hard late in the day.
    If you see an old guy in the Tap Room with an ISNE shirt on, feel free to say hi.

I believe it was Sunday April 3rd, 2016. It was the last day for many in the East.

Wow, April 3rd. I was riding in early May for their last lift serviced day at Sugarbush. I'm pretty sure I rode Tuckerman's in mid April too. Last season was just depreseeing.
    mtsnow123 said:

ski_it said:

Wow, April 3rd. I was riding in early May for their last lift serviced day at Sugarbush. I'm pretty sure I rode Tuckerman's in mid April too. Last season was just depressing.

I can't 100% confirm as I was at Bretton that day. Their last. But looking at Mad Pat's site it looks to be around that date.

PP Resorts says; Here are average closing dates for the resorts offered on the Peak Pass:

• Attitash:          First weekend in April
    • Big Boulder:   Last weekend in March / First weekend in April
    • Crotched:       Last weekend in March
    • Hunter:           Early - Mid April
    • Jack Frost:      Mid March
    • Mount Snow:  Mid April
    • Wildcat:           Late April – Early May
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 1,329
    ski_it said:

Will do!

I'm at Burke this weekend with my daughter racing in the U14 state championships, and then not sure if I'm going to be at Bromley both the following Saturday and Sunday or just 1 of those days when both my kids are racing there, and then the weekend after that, if they're still open I'm at Willard on Saturday and Magic on Sunday for my sons races, so my Taproom time will be limited at best the next few weeks :(

I'm usually sitting somewhere near the corner or on the short section of the bar in what is know being referred to as "Pete's VIP section!" 
    ;))   <:-P  <:-P  :D
    I thought there was a max of 140 competitors?
    obienick said:

I thought there was a max of 140 competitors?

Almost 90 girls and 75 boys in this years group of Southern VT Council U12 racers, with similar numbers in the U14 age group as well - a healthy racing interest among the youth at the resorts of the Southern VT Council (Mount Snow, Hermitage, Stratton, Magic, Bromley and Willard)
    Mount Snow's blowing at the moment. Looking at their webcams it's a little sad to see the grey on the snow, frozen patches on top of the boiler plate snow.
    mtsnow123 said:

Mount Snow's blowing at the moment. Looking at their webcams it's a little sad to see the grey on the snow, frozen patches on top of the boiler plate snow.

With the temps the next 48+ hrs, anywhere they're making snow will be back in GOOD shape pretty quickly.

Anywhere they're not making snow will improve with a few grooming passes, but be loose granular over boilerplate.

My hunch is that you might even read in the snow report in the next day or too that they're breaking out one of their old school grooming devices, the "renovator" to really dig down below the boilerplate where they have ample base and break it up for a more enjoyable surface
    DrJeff said:

mtsnow123 said:

With the temps the next 48+ hrs, anywhere they're making snow will be back in GOOD shape pretty quickly.

Anywhere they're not making snow will improve with a few grooming passes, but be loose granular over boilerplate.

My hunch is that you might even read in the snow report in the next day or too that they're breaking out one of their old school grooming devices, the "renovator" to really dig down below the boilerplate where they have ample base and break it up for a more enjoyable surface
    Here's the blog post from Kelly on the renovator a few years back, pretty cool photos: http://www.mountsnow.com/our-media/blog/kellys-blog/kellys-blog-renovate-trails-check/
    DrJeff said:

mtsnow123 said:

Think it will be just fan guns, or will they use more snowmaking equipment? I heave not heard of snowmaking on Lodge, maybe that trail is done for the season as far as snowmaking is concerned.