Quoggy Jo & Nordic Heritage Center 7/30/2017

edited August 2017 in Trip Reports Posts: 5,479
These two areas are connected to each other, but have different names and ski very differently. What areas are these?

imageimage
- Sam

Comments

• A Doppelmayr -bar with a telescoping mast?!? This I GOTTA see. 

Care to show us a pic of the t itself plus one of the lift towers 
    :)]

IBRAKE 

IBRAKE 

I will post a few after it has been guessed. The only part of the lift that is Doppelmayr is the new telescoping T-bars.
    - Sam
    Sauveur/Avila?
  • Sauveur/Avila?

no
    - Sam
    I am at a loss.

The only thing I can think of are separate named nordic and alpine areas?
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,667

I was thinking along the same lines J Maul and that garage thingy looks familiar...

Nordic Heritage Center & Quoggy Jo. First pic QJ, second is all NHC.

http://www.nordicheritagecenter.org/Facility-Trails

Put in Goggle Maps 46.730785, -67.928489  about where he was standing.

Thanks for reminding me of my most frustrating day (2/17/2010) ever on X-C or perhaps any skis. I should have made use of one of those (IIRC) waxing rooms in that garage over there. 

Oh yes and we know you will post a few...  ;))

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

IBRAKE 

I will post a few after it has been guessed. The only part of the lift that is Doppelmayr is the new telescoping T-bars.
    Hmmm: could we be looking at a Samson T re-fitted with masts that are descendants of the Hall mast? (Doppelmayr absorbed Von Roll, which I believe absorbed Hall.) :D
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 5,479
    ski_it said:

I was thinking along the same lines J Maul and that garage thingy looks familiar...

Nordic Heritage Center & Quoggy Jo. First pic QJ, second is all NHC.

http://www.nordicheritagecenter.org/Facility-Trails

Put in Goggle Maps 46.730785, -67.928489  about where he was standing.

Thanks for reminding me of my most frustrating day (2/17/2010) ever on X-C or perhaps any skis. I should have made use of one of those (IIRC) waxing rooms in that garage over there. 

Oh yes and we know you will post a few...  ;))

Yes, you are correct.

I went mountain biking at the Nordic Heritage Center and also checked out the ski facilities there. The mountain bike trails we some of the best I've ridden; there were fun downhills and the up hills were not very painful. It looked like a great Nordic ski facility. There was a large biathlon stadium in the central area near the lodge which was interesting to check out. The lodge was open for bikers and it was very nice inside. The alpine area is not large, but it looked like it would be fun to ski. The Hall T-bar was installed in 2000 from an area in New Jersey. It had recently recieved new masts from Doppelmayr of Canada. These are the first Doppelmayr telescoping masts that I've seen. I had to check to see if they made the same signature noise that the Hall masts did, and I discovered that they do. I know IBrake will appreciate that. :D

Biathlon StadiumimageLodge & Biathlon StadiumimageMountain Bike TrailimageMountain Bike TrailimageNordic Central AreaimageMountain Bike Trail with Mountain Bike Terrain Park in BackgroundimageTop of T-BarimageLabel on New Doppelmayr MastimageT-BarimageT-Barimage
    - Sam
    do they still use the penguin?  I thought that logo was awesome
  • do they still use the penguin?  I thought that logo was awesome

I don't think they do anymore.
    - Sam
    T bar from Jersey? Must of been from Craigmair. Thay had a Hall T. I wondered what the fate of that lift was. Thanks.

It is an awesome Nordic facility, that's why I was so angry with myself for not bringing any wax. Unfortunately for me there was a slight warm up that day that caused great clumps of snow binding to my ski bottoms. Did you see the old photos, articles, & placards inside the lodge describing early skiing in Maine by the Swedish settlers in the 1870s?

Hey you said a few pics...okay here's a couple of mine of QJ in 2010.

imageimage
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Yes, I did see those old photos and the old skis. That was an interesting display.
    - Sam
    Wasn't there a story of a minister who skied from parish church to parish church on Sundays in the 1870-90s?
  • ski_it said:

Wasn't there a story of a minister who skied from parish church to parish church on Sundays in the 1870-90s?

I believe so
    - Sam

Also on that Fbook page - Skytrac flew towers today at Crotched Mountain. We had a grandstand view of tower 13 coming in...........

Some shots from the same angles as Sam's at QJ but with snow.

imageimageimage

Clumps on your xc skis ...

Waxless fish scales or waxable skis?  If the former, best bet is silicone spray.

Fishscales with edges. Yeah, even though I'm a occasional self taught X-Cer I know better. I sometimes bring my X-Cs along on alpine "expeditions" ...just in case. I had to convince the fam on this trip to stop in as we were headed down to Big Squaw. The day was beautiful. the place is beautiful, the course is beautiful and I su..k.d. Unfortunately for me there were was like no one else there (ok perhaps 3) to ask for help. Stupidity= max frustration. Comparable to being able to ski the Hahnenkamm but forgetting ur boots.