2017 Killington World Cup

Comments

From Facebook:

Vermont’s Killington Resort, the largest ski and snowboard destination in Eastern North America, announced that tickets for the 2017 Audi FIS Ski World Cup will go on sale Thursday, September 7 at www.killington.com.

Returning to Vermont on November 25-26, Killington will again host the Alpine World Cup event which saw record breaking attendance in 2016. The World Cup event will include the women’s giant slalom and slalom races and is expected to bring U.S. Ski Team superstars Julia Mancuso, Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn to compete against the best women’s technical alpine skiers in the world.

More information on ticket details and pricing will be released in late August.

**General Admission - Free**
    There will be a free access viewing area for all fans to enjoy. The free area provides standing room access near the base of the Superstar trail with a jumbo screen for viewing the full race course.

Stay tuned for additional information about the 2017 Audi FIS Ski World Cup. We'll see you in Killington, Vermont this November!
    Announced ticket options. Steep price increases. But everything sold out fast last year.

GENERAL ADMISSION – FREE

Free viewing areas are located all around the base of the Superstar Trail and adjacent to the race course. Two video boards  will provide top-to-bottom race coverage while approximately 35% of the course will be visible from these areas.

GRANDSTAND TICKETS

Two ticketed grandstands are located at the base of the Superstar Trail and provide an elevated view of the race course, along with views of two video boards showing top-to-bottom race coverage. Wheelchair access is available in the front row of one of the grandstands.

GENERAL GRANDSTAND TICKET - $35/DAY

• Guaranteed general admission to rows 1-20  of a grand stand
    • Commemorative World Cup access pass

PREMIER GRANDSTAND TICKET, SUPPORTING THE KWCC - $100/DAY

• Guaranteed general admission to the top five rows (21-25) of a grand stand
    • A portion of the proceeds ($65) from this ticket support the Killington World Cup Committee fund

SUPER FAN GRANDSTAND TICKET - $110/DAY

• Guaranteed general admission to rows 1-20  of a grand stand
    • Commemorative World Cup souvenir
    • Killington Adult One-Day Lift Ticket voucher valid any day during the 2017-18 winter season.

PREFERRED PARKING PASS - $45/DAY

A Preferred Parking Pass will provide guaranteed parking in the K-1 Base Lodge parking lot. Parking will be available free of charge from other resort parking lots with complimentary shuttle service to the event.

VIP TICKET, SUPPORTING KWCC - $500/DAY

The VIP Ticket provides access to a heated temporary structure located at the Roaring Brook Umbrella Bar and offers an unmatched vantage point of the course, along with televisions live-streaming the full event. Preferred parking, continental breakfast, gourmet lunch, deluxe premium open bar, commemorative access pass and a commemorative souvenir are also included. VIP Tickets are extremely limited and are expected to sell out within minutes. A portion of the proceeds ($275) from this ticket support the Killington World Cup Committee fund.

All ticket sales are subject to applicable state and local taxes.

Prices seem reasonable to me for the experience you get. I think the tickets last year were very under priced because they didn't know what the demand was going to be. The side of the trail viewing experience was fun but $35 to get into the stands isn't too bad, the view is certainly much improved. The problem with the side of the trail was finding the right angle so you could see the slope and the screen (which wasn't angled well for side of the trail viewing). 

What I definitely would pay for would be priority bus access to skip the line coming and going from the parking lots. Which isn't very egalitarian but 1-2 hours each way of waiting around doing nothing would certainly be worth at least $20!

I doubt I'll buy any tickets. I'd rather wait and see how the weather looks for the weekend. Heck, it could dump a foot of snow in which case I'd rather be skiing.

:)
    According to the map on the article they will have an additional video screen uphill from the free standing area to the lookers right of the course. I was in that spot last year and thought it was pretty good, but a screen that close - and uphill - will really improve the experience.
    Considering how fast the tickets sold out last year, the prices are reasonable. I'm just shocked at the jump from $35 to $100 to sit in the top 5 rows.

The 2nd video board will be a great addition, especially for those sitting in the northern bleachers.
    Killington lost a lot of money last year (marketing dollars of course, so it was an investment) so I am 100% behind them pricing to demand and trying to reduce their loses. They will still sell out super fast even at $100 a pop for the top five rows.

Glad to hear about the additional screen facing lookers right viewing. It was hard to get a good view of the slope AND a good view of the screen from any one spot over there. Being able to see both resulted in a compromise on both angles.

Looking forward to Mancuso and Vonn racing this year. It is still the Shiffrin show for sure but the atmosphere should be even more electric with all three of the team's biggest stars there.
    Ticket selling was a disaster today.  Last year things went smoothly. Not so this year. Couldn't create an account. Couldn't log into my mom's account. Couldn't enter a new CC. Every step of the way was a dead link or an error followed by an emptying of the shopping cart.  Took me constant work from 9:00 to 9:30 to finally get my order for the top 5 rows.

The inside VIP package which was now $500 a pop were gone by 9:00.

Parking tickets which were $20 last year went by 9:04 at $45 a pop.

Lower grandstand tickets sold out at some point. Only upper ones going for $100 still available as of this posting.

• That suggests to me that they could have priced things even higher. I am AOK with K making some money on this or at least limited their loses. 

I'll plan on the free viewing, but getting there much earlier to avoid the horrendously long wait for the bus.
    Well per the Superstar cam it looks like they have been busy regrading the section of Superstar known as the late spring S that tends to melt in that pattern every Spring. Also while in here, the snowguns are out on the trails in the Glades Triple pod. Now it's time get in shape body and equipment wise and wait for the sweetest sound in October, " Killington will be opening for the 17/18 season", insert date.
    Time to the races is quickly counting down....

Have people received their tickets yet? I have yet to receive mine.
  • obienick said:

Time to the races is quickly counting down....

Have people received their tickets yet? I have yet to receive mine.

Not sure.. I've booked my hotel room though, and a cat is doing laps pushing snow on Superstar currently!

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/superstar.html

FIS just gave Lake Louise the green light today, I expect the Killington announcement will follow shortly
    16th is Snow Control.
    I got my tickets in today's mail.  

Looks like one grandstand is fully built (looker's right) and the 2nd one is nearly complete.

I'll be at the Saturday GS.  Who else is going?
  • obienick said:

I'll be at the Saturday GS.  Who else is going?
    I'll be at both GS and Slalom with the family, but in the 'no seats cheapo hiker standing spots' (cause I was too late to grab grandstand tickets!)

D
  • Confirming that grandstands are fully up and snowmaking has moved to Skyelark.  They seem pretty confident that Superstar will easily pass "Snow Control".
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,667
    I see Dispatch is playing after the awards on Saturday. Maybe that can get me out of going to JMaul Land.?!?!
    You that are going, have a great time and take some pics
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I'll be there for Slalom with the wife on Sunday. No tickets for us, just the hike-'em standing room only seats along the side of Superstar.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,667

They have 3 groomers running on it right now at 2pm. Looks nice & white.

Hey you Cuppies (or whatever you're called) be sure to read their warnings about bringing bags, etc... to the venue.

It's just that I've seen many a ticked off person walking back to their car with their significant other and their giant Coach bag at Gillette Stadium. And that's despite the online warnings & giant digital street signs on Rt 1. 

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I just googled "cuppies" and it's a cupcake with a cookie inside

:-/
    Also of note they changed the name from the Beast World Cup to the Killington Cup and Comcast is a title sponsor with it's xfinity brand.  Pretty lame new name, but it's for PR reasons. For sure there were many confused folk wondering where this "Beast" ski area is.  A massive disappointment since teh Streif isn't at the Streif ski area, the Birds of Prey isn't at Birds of Prey Resort, etc.
    obienick said:

Also of note they changed the name from the Beast World Cup to the Killington Cup and Comcast is a title sponsor with it's xfinity brand.  Pretty lame new name, but it's for PR reasons. For sure there were many confused folk wondering where this "Beast" ski area is.  A massive disappointment since teh Streif isn't at the Streif ski area, the Birds of Prey isn't at Birds of Prey Resort, etc.

My guess is that very few people outside of Austria know that "Streif" is the name of the trail that the Hanhnenkamm is on (which is the name of the actual mountain it is on). BOP I think many know is at Beaver Creek, though their bibs have the resort name on them.

Beast World Cup tells the average Joe nothing about where it is. Using K name is far better.

"......the mood is celebratory here at The Beast where we received final confirmation from the FIS on Wednesday that the snow surface on Superstar will be ready to host the Xfinity Killington Cup on Thanksgiving weekend."

Snow report this am.

It looks like they made a big bump/whale at the ess between the towers and a smaller one next to tower 4. I guess the FIS thought the pitch -- which is steeper than the rulesfor SL -- was too easy?
    Corduroy is now being applied. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.
    Per the webcam today it looks as though they are mapping out the gate positions on Superstar! Check it out.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,435
    They are not. They are injecting water into the snow.

What's also interesting is there are cabins on the Skyeship.
    obienick said:

They are not. They are injecting water into the snow.

What's also interesting is there are cabins on the Skyeship.
    Trying to incorporate Skyeship into spectator transportation would be an interesting challenge!!  I could easily see running Stage 1, then unloading at Northbrook, and taking the Northbrook Quad up to the top of Snowshed and then hiking over (although you'd have to get the people around back of the grandstands and through the main (and only) entrance into the grandstand area out by the base of K1.  Don't think they'd want a bunch of people up near the start though...

The bigger issue would be getting them back down to Skyeship Base after the race without busing, as the walk back to the top of Northbrook Quad isn't as appealing I'm sure for most, and then the limited downloading capacity of Northbrook and possibly even Skyeship, could be an issue......