Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

Comments

• Remski said:

You don’t understand, you had to be there in the

Probably not. I thought you were working this angle; "The comments have achieved sufficient visibility to make their mitigation a priority."
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Remski said:

It would be advantageous for the ski area if they could cut the brush and new growth out of all the GLADES on and off the ski area map within their boundaries.

ALL the glades!?...  even FINDING all the GLADES on and off the ski area map would be a major effort... 25+ last time I tried.  Even worse if you include all the trails that appeared after the March storm last year; people were popping out of the woods everywhere. 

Might be easier and cheaper to get a large herd of goats and let Joshua S. be their shepherd for the summer.

• NELSBEER said:

Remski said:

It would be advantageous for the ski area if they could cut the brush and new growth out of all the GLADES on and off the ski area map within their boundaries.

ALL the glades!?...  even FINDING all the GLADES on and off the ski area map would be a major effort... 25+ last time I tried.  Even worse if you include all the trails that appeared after the March storm last year; people were popping out of the woods everywhere. 

Might be easier and cheaper to get a large herd of goats and let Joshua S. be their shepherd for the summer.

Unfortunately, the goats don't:
    1. Remove rocks
    2. Remove stumps
    3. Remove large trees that have fallen!

However, they would be great for the small saplings and the grass!
  • That's where REMSKI's "they oughta" comes into play :-}

• Oct. 28, 2017 - Sat.

Good event (Crotched Mtn. open house) today.  Mowing trails is well underway.  The color/leaf-peeping remains quite nice.
  • Any rumors/whispers on when CM plans to light up the guns?
  • edited November 2017
    12/9 is the only thing I could find online: https://www.onthesnow.com/northeast/projected-openings.html

As most passes are good at Wildcat and Mt Snow (which are open now), I suspect we won't rush to get open by the first weekend in Dec.

That being said, had this past stretch of cold weather happened a couple of weeks later, I suspect we'd be skiing Thanksgiving weekend.

As of this past Saturday mowing was still "underway".

• Dropped by Crotched today (Wednesday), quite a beehive of activity as they prepare for the new season. There was a dusting of snow on the hill, it stuck so the ground has cooled somewhat.

The lower floor inside has been re-arranged extensively. The season pass office is in the main lobby, ski school room is near the West Lift/Carpet door & offices re-arranged.

They started rolling the portable fan guns up the hill, maintenance is being done on them before they roll out. Pipe flushing has been done and the pump house updated... the next thing is making snow, not far off now, they are mostly watching the weather report for the best time. Thanksgiving? probably not they haven't asked the patrol to be ready, anytime after that we'll see.  Most of the lawn mowing is done a few slopes still need attention, hopefully done for the weekend. 

In the meantime a lot of staff are heading for Mount Snow to get their ski legs back. Yes, it is open weekdays.

• edited November 2017
    They fired up a few guns yesterday afternoon.  Not sure how much they made.  Shooting for a Dec 2 opening.  Pray for cold, or snow, or both.
  • A hike up the hill with the dogs disclosed that they ran guns across the entire normal early season route. Summit >Moonwalk> Galaxy> Lower Meteor plus Summit> Satellite Summit> Galaxy. This was a system test for pole guns and re-built carriage guns. It looks like all but about 2 pole guns did well, they have Polecat maintenance kits available so everything should be good soon. 

There were 12" to 18" whales up the entire hill which, if they hold up, will give a little start when the major effort starts. Also pulled pond down 8"+ making more room for storage.

My 2 golden retrievers decided this was more than enough for first tracks & had a great time rolling, sliding and eating the fresh cover.
  • Looks like more snowmaking will happen starting on Wed...hopefully setting CM up for a nice long stretch to ensure a solid opening on 12/2.

Question: Does CM project to have any terrain off either the West Lift or the carpet open for opening day? Or just the Rocket?
  • xwhaler said:

Looks like more snowmaking will happen starting on Wed...hopefully setting CM up for a nice long stretch to ensure a solid opening on 12/2.

Question: Does CM project to have any terrain off either the West Lift or the carpet open for opening day? Or just the Rocket?
    Usually, it's just Rocket first day.
  • xwhaler said:

Looks like more snowmaking will happen starting on Wed...hopefully setting CM up for a nice long stretch to ensure a solid opening on 12/2.

Thanks....we'll be there on opening day but it will be easier once we have the carpet so my youngest son can get some time on snow in
  • xwhaler said:

xwhaler said:

Thanks....we'll be there on opening day but it will be easier once we have the carpet so my youngest son can get some time on snow in
    xwhaler said:

Hopefully by the following wknd they have that area up and running

• edited November 2017
    More grass cutting evident today, hopefully that task should be complete by tomorrow. Spotted a crew on the hill working on the Polecat's needing attention after the snowmaking test earlier in the week. There is still a fair amount of snow remaining from those tests & the pond is full again. They made snow on Upper Meteor (Race Trail) in that test as well, wonder if they will try for it as well to keep everyone happy? They will do the carpet area and much of the base area if time allows for opening day.

In the meantime Mount Snow has been a more than adequate surrogate.
  • They made snow on Upper Meteor (Race Trail) in that test as well, wonder if they will try for it as well to keep everyone happy? 

I believe we typically open upper and lower Meteor and Satelite Summit for opening day.  That and Moonwalk/Galaxy are it for opening day.  

I've been there for every opening day since the place reopened, I really should take better notes :)

Not a ton of cold stretches before the 2nd.
  • Guess the snowmakers haven't been following this thread. The guns went on at 9 PM Wednesday night and were still running when I left the hill at 2:30 PM thanksgiving day. This appears to be a mass 'whalehousing' of snow not a drive to open for the weekend, a few holes in the gun lines would limit opening real soon.

The snowmaking crew has been out tuning guns to keep the white stuff coming; shutting down a few that got too wet. My truck showed a temp of 34 degrees at the base so the fans are delivering. The snowmakers moved from riding up on the Rocket in the am to driving snowmobiles in the afternoon as the whales joined up.

Snow is being made T to B on Moonwalk| Galaxy| Meteor  and Satellite Summit| Meteor also across the base from the Valley quad to the carpet area (everything connected). They also made snow on the carpet area, which is only half mowed???  Pond is down about  1 1/2 feet with good flow from the hill still. 

They have announced a season kickoff party for Friday Night December 1st. Wonder if we'll be skiing before that? Weather will be determining factor. Hopefully the webcam will get hooked up soon so that we can watch progress.
  • With the warm weather next week and limited windows at night to make snow I wonder if CM opens next Saturday? Looks iffy at this point
  • xwhaler said:

With the warm weather next week and limited windows at night to make snow I wonder if CM opens next Saturday? Looks iffy at this point

Management has not written it off yet.  Unfortunately tonight's window isn't looking as good as predicted earlier.
  • Thanks Tedede. I'd be surprised if they could open but will be there if a lift is spinning. Otherwise will do the long up and back to Wildcat for the day. Keep us posted with what you hear. Appreciate your insider knowledge
  • As of Wednesday they haven't made a definitive call, they want to open but won't do so with sub-standard conditions. Everyone at the hill is working against a 'might open' deadline. I even saw a groomer go up the backway towards the summit & saw it later on Moonwalk, fingers are still crossed. The snowmaking pond was topped off from the lower pond today, the last seat pads were going on the West lift and the kitchen/bar were ready to go at an early season level. They may even make some snow tonight, temps permitting. 

The website was out of date today due to a major server upgrade in progress, hopefully up with full connectivity very quickly. The webcam will be fixed with the upgrade as well. In the meantime look at social media links for reality checks of snow availability. 

Keep your fingers crossed and the directions to Mount Snow bookmarked. MS has been getting rave comments for its new snow system...
  • Good to hear this wind is still a possibility. Fingers crossed. Will be good to get on the home hill for the season with my family
  • It looks like they are not going to make it for the weekend barring some really cold miracle. 

• No communication from CM since Tuesday. While Gunstock, Pat's, Ragged, Berkshire East and others open this wknd.

Can understand if they aren't opening but at least give us passholders some update. Something.....
  • Crotched was largely silent due to the Computer Server upgrade mentioned above. I get the impression that bigger Peak areas get their needs filled first, Crotched is the tail of the puppy on this type of stuff (E.G. lawn mowing...). There is actually a commercial outfit involved in the upgrade & the new server is a big rack mounted unit. Look at the webcam, it shows green grass, not whales.  They were putting up the new cam on the roof of the ATC (Alpine Training Center) on Friday.  And the snow report is still dated Tuesday.  So dare we say... "it's going to be great." soon?

The weather station is working & is the best source for guesstimating snowmaking weather for now.

To backfill a little on the hill status... there is a lot of snow on 2 routes top to bottom with options available along the way. The carpet slope has a few whales as well. The pond is full and they expect to make enough snow later in the week to open with descent coverage & good snow. 
  • Nice. So you do think the carpet opens next wknd along with Meteor and Galaxy?
  • There is a good start on the carpet area, it should be ready but watch the website for details. If the website isn't updating try the social media links on the home page. Hopefully the server update will finish up and all return to better than normal ASAP. I know the staff is itching to get updates in place.

As of today the water is about a foot from the top of the dam so all we need is some cold.
  • Is there enough snow to have a continuous path to ski down if I hike up tomorrow?  
  • It looked reasonably continuous from the parking lot yesterday (I'm back from FL), but it was too late in the day for me earn some turns.  I'd join you in your hike, but I'm off to Killington.
  • The whales are pretty impressive!  I'm thinking that with another night of blowing they will be able to open. There are some thin spots in between the whales, but I was able to go from the top to within 30 ft of the bottom. Sunset was nice also.