Dartmouth Skiway & Whaleback 12/31/2017

Two ski areas today, Dartmouth in the morning and Whaleback in the afternoon. Dartmouth was not operating the Holt's Ledge Double due to the extreme cold, but Winslow was still relatively busy. Everything except Jughandle was open on Winslow and there was excellent cover. Upper Chivers, Herman's Highway, Thomas, and Pass-Fail were groomed, while the rest was left natural. It was very cold and wind chills were around -20. Around noon I left Dartmouth and ate lunch at Whaleback, before skiing there in the afternoon. It was slightly less windy and far less busy there, but the snow was still excellent. Most of the terrain on the east side is now open which brings them to around 50% open. A hidden layer of crust is still preventing them from opening more terrain.

Dartmouth Skiway:

Winslow Mountain QuadimageWinslow Mountain QuadimageWinslow Mountain Quad and Upper ChiversimageCum LaudeimageThomasimagePass-FailimagePost DocimageMDimageNRO GladesimageBig Woodsimage

Whaleback:

View From the Summit DoubleimageSummit Double and FaceimageSummit DoubleimageSummit DoubleimageSpoutimageSummit DoubleimageSummit DoubleimageScrimshaw and CanyonimageFaceimageBlowholeimage
- Sam

Comments

Nice pics. The summit bullwheel at WB is pretty unique
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 5,479

It is, and I believe the entire lift is pretty unique. Does anyone know of another Poma double like it?
    - Sam
    Did the Whaleback double used to have a floating bullwheel?
  • obienick said:

Did the Whaleback double used to have a floating bullwheel?

Good question, I don't know the answer.
    - Sam
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 5,277

It is, and I believe the entire lift is pretty unique. Does anyone know of another Poma double like it?
    Similar Nubs riding it again with Ibrake4tbars and Conrad and Ted in 3 weeks

• edited January 2018 Posts: 2,493
    The WB double never had a floating bullwheel.
    Wow! Great shots! Whaleback should contact you to use them in publicity!

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
  • What a great report.  Thank you.
    bmwskier said:

Wow! Great shots! Whaleback should contact you to use them in publicity!

Why do you think Rick pays him the big bucks?