Ski Bradford 2017-2018

edited January 29 in Trip Reports Posts: 2,179
I thought I'd start a thread, similar to Josh's about Crotched, to post updates on what's happening at Bradford throughout the season.

Currently everything is open off of the Hornet Chair and everything but Hugh's is open off the Wasp Chair. Snow is being made on Hugh's and in the terrain park, so it shouldn't be long until the hill is 100% open.
- Sam

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Wow the first pictureless thread from Sammy lol

Isn't this the first area Jeremy D skied at?
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    I learned at Nashoba, but did get to ski Bradford once in high school. Rode the T-bar as much as I could.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

I thought I'd start a thread, similar to Josh's about Crotched, to post updates on what's happening at Bradford throughout the season.

Currently everything is open off of the Hornet Chair and everything but Hugh's is open off the Wasp Chair. Snow is being made on Hugh's and in the terrain park, so it shouldn't be long until the hill is 100% open.

Given the "Bee theme" of Bradford, you can keep us up-to-date on the buzz there :-)  I only went there once in my "try every area phase" of skiing.  It's a good place and I'm sure if I lived near there, I would have gone back.
    All of the whales were pushed out today and as of 4:00 this afternoon Bradford is 100% open.
    - Sam
    Night skiing was cancelled tonight due to cold. However, the snow is perfect and there is great cover.
    - Sam
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    Do they still close between the day ticket and the start of the night ticket ? I have only been there twice both for night skiing. Both times they did a night groom and the hill was "closed" for an hour or so
    MrMagic said:

Do they still close between the day ticket and the start of the night ticket ? I have only been there twice both for night skiing. Both times they did a night groom and the hill was "closed" for an hour or so

Yes, on weekends and holidays we close from 4:30 until 6:00 for grooming.
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I was there once while they groomed. The groomer would go around once and then I would go down untracked corduroy. It was great
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • KayakerKayaker intermediate
    MrMagic said:

Bradford does a lot of things right but they don't publicize them well. In addition to the grooming twice a day, their snowmaking  system is tremendous and they have 100% coverage. On the downside it is very expensive for them to make snow because they have to buy city water a good deal of the time. It seems each year they invest something into the snowmaking system with new efficient guns and towers appearing most years. This is necessary in what is often (but not this year) marginal snowmaking conditions.  If this year lacks a January thaw, today's snow could last to March. Their webpage and Facebook page should feature their snowmaking and grooming capabilities with updates on the amount of snow made, as well as the ski school (shameless plug).       
    Powder day! Snow was coming down like crazy and they had to close the chairlift for about five minutes at one point to clear snow because of how fast it was coming down. Very few skiers and employees were there, so they only had the Hornet Chair operating, but the snow was excellent. There was about a foot of fresh when I left and it was still coming down hard.

Hornet Chair & T-BarimageEvvy's Double Nickel ChairimageChair Closed for Snow Removalimage
    - Sam
    image.jpeg
    2592 x 1944 - 754K
    image.jpeg
    2592 x 1944 - 719K
    image.jpeg
    2592 x 1944 - 840K
    Excellent packed powder today, dress warm and it's a blast
    - Sam
    Best snow of the year. Where is everyone?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I went cross country today in the local area after it warmed up 16 degrees to 10F.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Still good cover today, but the snow is very slushy
    - Sam
    Closed today due to weather, but open tomorrow for regular hours
    - Sam
    Crazy day today, it started around 60 degrees and dropped to 28. Everything was slush in the morning and froze hard by the afternoon. All trails retained a decent base after the rain and resurfacing starts tonight.
    - Sam
    I just got back from Bradford and they weathered the thaw very well.  They made snow last night and everything is open.
    Everything was open, but conditions veryed trail-by-trail. Some had perfect soft corduroy, but others were very icy and had ice chunks. It was a busy day and there was about the crowd I would expect for MLK JR day.
    - Sam
    Yellow Jacket had the best conditions.  If it's possible to over look a trail at a small ski area, this trail is often missed, along with Hugh's.   
    The new snow made for some great skiing and it also covered any remaining ice patches from the thaw. They also sped up the chairlifts last night. I'm not sure why they did so, or whether or not it's a permenent thing, but it made the already short ride even shorter.
    - Sam
  • 4aprice4aprice advanced
    Small mountains will shine this weekend. Open snowmaking window for a week since the rain should have been enough to resurface everything. (+the natural for many,about 6+ near here in the Pocono's)  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Looking good going into the weekend, all trails have been resurfaced
    - Sam
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Wind is the killer this morning at some larger areas...many lifts on hold. They can't catch a break.

Wind is the killer this morning at some larger areas...many lifts on hold. They can't catch a break.

No wind today at Bradford! The conditions were good and the snow was fast
    - Sam
    Closed today because of the rain/ice event
    - Sam
    Extensive snowmaking has taken place this week and every trail now has a substantial base. Everything should now last into March without too much issue.
    - Sam
  • newmannewman advanced
    edited January 28 Posts: 314
    Hoping for some natural snow soon, cover is good, but there is ice hiding not far under the groomed surface
    - Sam
    Nothing that more snow won't cure.  Looks promising for Wednesday.  Historically February can be our snowiest month.  We just passed the 40th anniversary of the blizzard of 1978.
  • edited February 9 Posts: 2,179
    The few inches of new snow covered up the ice nicely and conditions are great right now.
    - Sam