Hang on to your hats

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 978
Yes, the January blowtorch arrives tonight. Looks grim all day Friday with lots of rain and 50's....brutal. Will lock up on Saturday night, but will do significant damage to natural snow trails, and hurt others as well.

Ugh, but part of the gig...

Comments

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    The amount of people saying "this is good for building a base" is ridiculous. Riding Bolton last night, I heard numerous times, and in the office today was wild. I'm just hoping for a foot on top of whatever happens tomorrow at Stowe. Leave super early for the mountain and beat the crowds. 
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Lotta rain but all things considered 24 hrs of it isn't as bad as the typical January thaw. Fingers crossed damage is minimal. Natural trails definitely going to take a beating. 
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    There will thankfully be natural snow on the back side of this in northern VT/NY which will freshen it back up. JD
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Very sad 55 here
    What up to Traverse City today and as I told Ted that I have all lot of natural except a little bit in the woods here and there so hopefully they blow some when I gets cold in a day or two
    IMG_3357.JPG
    320 x 240 - 52K
  • 4aprice4aprice advanced
    And this is different from any other year, how?  We always get these thaws in the east.  The woods (and natural terrain ) go in and out of play usually several times during a season. Snow making terrain should be fine.  I expect it will go warm, cold, then warmer till February.  JB says winters not over and he expects Feb and March to be good and active,  Seems like that's the way it works most years, last year included.  (April was awesome last year), 

Hopefully as we get the break the west will get the love for a while.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    4aprice said:

And this is different from any other year, how?  We always get these thaws in the east.  The woods (and natural terrain ) go in and out of play usually several times during a season. Snow making terrain should be fine.  I expect it will go warm, cold, then warmer till February.  JB says winters not over and he expects Feb and March to be good and active,  Seems like that's the way it works most years, last year included.  (April was awesome last year), 

Hopefully as we get the break the west will get the love for a while.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Was not implying it was unusual at all....just a bummer.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 12 Posts: 1,926
    NELSAP said:

There will thankfully be natural snow on the back side of this in northern VT/NY which will freshen it back up. JD

Day trip to Jay anyone? Ugh!!
    It's supposed to go from 57-24 in 8 hours Saturday afternoon here in MA. And all the areas have been laying on the TV spots all week.? Double ugh
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Massive snow loss here in CVT and heavy rains have just arrived. This will take many places back to Square 1, even with the snow on the. Much of it will be falling on bare ground or ice floes. Wow...
    MRG closed today. Good move. Will save what snow sticks around. I am sure the 1 or 2 folks sitting in the lodge now are bummed.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    58F here in Enfield, already past the forecast high of 56F.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Going to see who's got the serious snowmaking firepower going on in resurfacing efforts across the Northeast in less than 24hrs.....
    First it's too cold for comfortable skiing during Christmas week and now this weather disaster for MLK weekend. I really hope Presidents week is a good one weather and skiing wise.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

New record high temperature at BDL of 59F, beating the old record of 57F from 1913. It's 50F warmer now than last week.

• 4aprice4aprice advanced
    DrJeff said:

Going to see who's got the serious snowmaking firepower going on in resurfacing efforts across the Northeast in less than 24hrs.....

Snowmaking terrain should be fine and with it being as you say, "resurfacing", I would imagine skiing could be quite good by next weekend.  Not having to start from scratch should make the process pretty quick.  

Bastardi still thinks it goes warm for a while after this lobe of cold goes through.  Thinks we get a winter reload in Feb.  I'll take the warm if we can dodge the rain.   

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ