An Eye-Popping Warm Up...

in The Pit Posts: 1,096
In Glens Fall on Jan 2, it was -25 - a new record low.
Today on the 12th, it was 56 - a new record high.

That's an 81 degree temperature rise - pretty astounding, and not something that happens very often.

Jeremy

Comments

Sunday morning, Jan. 7, driving through Jeffersonville, VT: car thermometer read -27 F
    Today, 11:30 am, Mad River Valley, VT: same thermometer: 59 F

Predicted low Sunday, Jan. 14: -12 F

Nutty, and sad to see all the snow go, but it will be back. Rivers are raging now- if you venture north, watch for black ice when the freeze hits- lots of standing water on roads will become slick.
    And an eye-popping freeze soon. Forecasters are calling for as much as a 40 degree drop through the day tomorrow. For Foxborough morning temps are expected to be around 60. End of the game, windchills as low as 7!
    We're supposed to go from 54 to 15 tonight and -8 tomorrow night. I'm hoping that my driveway at least totally melts before it becomes even more of a skating rink. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    Yeah I talked about this warm up a week ago, sucks but we will get some redemption on the back end later tonight through tomorrow. 
    ~Rich~
    Teeming rain again in CVT...grrr
    60F here at 6pm, roughly normal temperature for early April.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    ADKskier said:

Yeah I talked about this warm up a week ago, sucks but we will get some redemption on the back end later tonight through tomorrow. 

Yeah and I said I didn't see it lol. I wish I had been right! sucks
    The recently foot thick ice in the river behind my house is making some interesting noises. Wish I could see what's going on. Brought out a light buy too foggy.
    obienick said:

And an eye-popping freeze soon. Forecasters are calling for as much as a 40 degree drop through the day tomorrow. For Foxborough morning temps are expected to be around 60. End of the game, windchills as low as 7!

Yup, I might start my tailgating at the Pats game tomorrow night in shorts and a sweatshirt, and at games end be in plenty of layers of insulated items!! At least it will be dry during the game... Would of been UGLY had the game been tonight in all the down pours!!
    Jan. 13, 2018: Sitting at my computer, I noticed that the outdoor temp has dropped 20 degrees F. between 4:45AM and 6:45AM from 59 to 39.  Pretty amazing - and the forecast calls for a drop of another 10 degrees in the next hour so!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 1,811
    56F here after and overnight high of 60F. It's below freezing about 15 miles to my west.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    Messy mix falling now in CVT. MRG delaying opening. Icing. Roads not great
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,667
    Mt ISNE is bare. 15-19" of snow completely disappeared in less than 48 hrs here near Foxboro.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    From the Mt. Washington Observatory's Facebook page yesterday...

"6 days after setting a daily record low of -38°F, the summit is now seeing a daily record high of 44°F. That's an incredible swing of 82°F in less than a week!"
    obienick said:

From the Mt. Washington Observatory's Facebook page yesterday...

"6 days after setting a daily record low of -38°F, the summit is now seeing a daily record high of 44°F. That's an incredible swing of 82°F in less than a week!"

And it will be well below zero tonight....crazy
    The blowtorch is over.  The temp dropped about 30 F in less than an hour in the lower Merrimack Valley and is now at freezing (11:50 on 1/13).  How will the groomers deal with this?  Snowmaking weather coming up but will it be dust on crust?
    We got about 1" of sleet and less than an inch of snow overnight. Some snow showers now from the Mohawk Hudson Convergence.
  • Lost Valley is still reporting that they are 100% open
    - Sam
    About 5 or 6 inches here in Burlington, VT. Hard to tell with the wind blown snow. Not much snow for my local mountains, very odd storm. Going to be -5 low tonight. Really don't know how conditions will be tomorrow.
    Well I don't have to rake the roof