Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

Comments

• edited January 2018 Posts: 1,417
    I don't know why my last post posted as a Quietman post?
    Chuckstah said:

I don't know why my last post posted as a Quietman post?

If you inadvertently start typing on the last line being quoted, that will happen. it also happens if you start typing and erase the first character you typed.
    Closed trails were being poached, but there is not a lot of base on them. 
    Of the trails on the map,  pretty much everything is open except Comet Drop, UFO/Equinox Jupiter Storm and NCC-1701. The skiing today is back to what most have come to expect from Crotched Mtn.
    Raced there on Thursday PM and the turnaround is in full swing and conditions were darn good. Trail count is increasing daily. Great job.
    Wed racing was also fun!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 612
    A lot of lights have been fixed and enough snow was laid down last week to open everything that mattered except Comet Drop. Jupiter Storm was finally groomed out TtoB but was suitable for advanced skiers due to the freshness of the snow when it was spread. More storage whales are evident & the pond is full for recovery purposes.

The skiing was good yesterday(Monday) as long as you didn't mind skiing blind with freezing fog on your googles. The upper part of the hill was a loose wet granular, the lower parts were frozen skiable granular. The corduroy lines lasted all day due to the light traffic. Temps were generally lower than forecast so ice was building up throughout the day on everything. The Rocket ran all day - it finally shut down at about 5:30 due to ice and wind. Most of the people had departed by then, the Valley and West lifts stayed open for the few remaining folks.

Today, Tuesday, Crotched stayed shut down due to the forecast, just as well considering many local roads, including the Francestown Turnpike were shut down in the afternoon.

Check the website before you go; they plan to open Wednesday at the normal 9am time. Roads should be OK by then and power is still up.  Judging by the webcam the surfaces have held up pretty well no brown spots like last week, the groomers should be able to make enough corduroy to support some sweet skiing,  no hard freeze is forecast until after dusk.

Crotched quietly added the winch cat to their fleet about a week ago. No winching seen yet but it is a PB400, giving them a total of 3 PB400s plus an older PB 310 to get things done. A bunch of work was done on the snowmaking system as well so standby for snow.

Thanks for the update Nelsbeer.
    They shut the Turnpike down?? wow. I'm still hopeful to get up there or somewhere sometime this season. Think snow
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    We really dodged a bullet with this storm.  The forecast of 45+ temps and 1"+ of rain were way off.
     Net is no snow loss, but the newly blown snow will be pretty solid after freezing tonight.  It could have been a lot worse.  Racing tomorrow night should be firm and fast!
    Quietman said:

We really dodged a bullet with this storm.  The forecast of 45+ temps and 1"+ of rain were way off.

Net is no snow loss, but the newly blown snow will be pretty solid after freezing tonight.  It could have been a lot worse.  Racing tomorrow night should be firm and fast!
    All ice here 30 miles east of Crotched, with only a couple hours above freezing this evening. Net gain in my yard and certainly dodged a bullet.  I may brave a few runs in the morning.  Just touched up the edges!
    Night of 1/23-24/2018
    Lights were on all night on the mountain, but I'm pretty sure temp/humidity never made it to wet bulb and I am not hearing the hum of fanguns outside.  Quietman and Chuckstah are certainly correct: Based on the parking lot: minimal snow loss - possibly even a gain with a frozen layer.  

I won't know until I ski it, but I'm pretty sure that this storm was insignificant compared with one of 1/12-13/2018.  I suspect that the quality of today's skiing (1/24/18) is 100% in the hands of the grooming team - and anything ungroomed will be virtually unskiable.
  • Great to hear they didn't lose to much! I was there Sunday coaching our team at the U12/U14 qualifiers, and was worried that they would lose a bunch, as it already looked thin in spots.

Night of 1/23-24/2018

Lights were on all night on the mountain, but I'm pretty sure temp/humidity never made it to wet bulb and I am not hearing the hum of fanguns outside.  Quietman and Chuckstah are certainly correct: Based on the parking lot: minimal snow loss - possibly even a gain with a frozen layer.  

I won't know until I ski it, but I'm pretty sure that this storm was insignificant compared with one of 1/12-13/2018.  I suspect that the quality of today's skiing (1/24/18) is 100% in the hands of the grooming team - and anything ungroomed will be virtually unskiable.

1/24/2018 - Weds.
    Kudos to the grooming team. They outdid themselves. Except for a few connectors, the glades and Comet Drop, everything is open and skiing very nicely.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 385
    Great night for racing!  Firm, fast but still very edgable.  I'll add another high five for the groomers. Even Jupiters was full coverage with no ice to be found.   Was a little disappointed that the guns weren't on, but just checked the webcam and they are blowing now!
    1/25/2018: Thurs.
    As of 5AM, the mountain is lit up and the full snow making reservoir is being emptied! Tuesday's storm damage was pretty much gone by yesterday and it should be even better today.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,162
    excellent grooming =S great conditions. Got to hand it to Mt. ops they are doing a bang up job with the conditions on the trails. Considering the temperature fluctuations we've had the snow at Crotched is second to none. Excellent job you guys!
  • For those who follow the "Trace snow" app, we had 2 incredible performances yesterday (2/1/2018) at CM, with Dylan P. hitting 85,5K feet of vertical and Joe O. hitting 56.3K of vertical.  The combination of comfortable weather and excellentsnow (as pointed out above by remski) - not to mention the HSQ (aka the Rocket) are what makes that kind of vertical possible.
    Rocket is currently down. They are hoping to have it up this afternoon.
    Rocket is back up according to the snow report but the web cam is down.
    Just an FYI, all passes including midweek (Traveler) are valid this weekend at all Peak resorts for passholder weekend.  Looks like they are trying to drive some extra business on a typically slow Super Bowl weekend. I may get in my first weekend turns of the season Sunday morning before the game.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,667

For those who follow the "Trace snow" app, we had 2 incredible performances yesterday (2/1/2018) at CM, with Dylan P. hitting 85,5K feet of vertical and Joe O. hitting 56.3K of vertical.  The combination of comfortable weather and excellentsnow (as pointed out above by remski) - not to mention the HSQ (aka the Rocket) are what makes that kind of vertical possible.

That's like 98 runs (85.5 The CM way)!
    I've told you how I'd break that record..duct tape by phone to the bottom of a Rocket chair go to the Onset Pub. Come back 12 hours later
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,839
    ski_it said:

For those who follow the "Trace snow" app, we had 2 incredible performances yesterday (2/1/2018) at CM, with Dylan P. hitting 85,5K feet of vertical and Joe O. hitting 56.3K of vertical.  The combination of comfortable weather and excellentsnow (as pointed out above by remski) - not to mention the HSQ (aka the Rocket) are what makes that kind of vertical possible.

That's like 98 runs (85.5 The CM way)!
    I've told you how I'd break that record..duct tape by phone to the bottom of a Rocket chair go to the Onset Pub. Come back 12 hours later
    While I'm not sure whether the Trace-Snow app can be fooled by that,   That being said, a skier/rider trying to set a record descends much faster than the speed of the chairlift.  Let's assume the chairlift runs 12 hours (720 mins) and never stops (unlikely).  That would correspond to 103 runs, which is less than 100K vertical.
    Oh you're so damn logical! :D
    How's the snow today?
  • ski_it said:

Oh you're so damn logical! :D
    How's the snow today?

The snow was superb. The machine-made wasn't groomed and it skied like what I call "styrofoam snow".  (Easy to edge and very durable to traffic.)

For tomorrow, (Sun. 2/4., 2018) it will probably be groomed, but it should still be fine.
    2/4/2018 cloudy 27-36 degrees light snow in the morning. 23 of 25 trails machined groomed. Whales on Jupiter and Pluto were fun. Pretty much ski on the lifts or a few minute wait. There was a race on Meteor until 1:30. The lots were pretty full but it wasn't crowded. Said hi to Joshua and Nels. The conditions were good. My daughter at home caught us on the webcam. (Over to right)
    ski_it said:

2/4/2018 cloudy 27-36 degrees light snow in the morning. 23 of 25 trails machined groomed. Whales on Jupiter and Pluto were fun. Pretty much ski on the lifts or a few minute wait. There was a race on Meteor until 1:30. The lots were pretty full but it wasn't crowded. Said hi to Joshua and Nels. The conditions were good. My daughter at home caught us on the webcam. (Over to right)

What, no pic of you, Nels, or JS?

That IS a pic of me & Mrs Ski_it, on the right headed for the lift in green and black & white jackets.

Besides I'm not photogenic enough for group photos & it was a crappy day for pics. Also, we weren't wasting a lot of time yesterday as we were off the mountain at 2 pm to go visit my sister-in-law who broke her leg in two places last week at Ragged :(( before heading home for the game. :((

Managed to get in 23 runs in just under 4 1/2 hours and 17.8k. 

ski_it said:

Did you wander over to the West lift?  I was there all day.
    Quietman said:

ski_it said:

Did you wander over to the West lift?  I was there all day.
    Took her twice.
    I still say that all SJ members should gather under the webcam at 11:01 am everyday and give our secret wave.