New Chairs at Kmart

6 person bubble at Snowdon, new quad on south ridge, moving the poma to Rams Head, a lot of new stuff next season!

Comments

6 person bubble at Snowdon, new quad on south ridge, moving the poma to Rams Head, a lot of new stuff next season!

When.  I only heard that the South Ridge Chair was targeted for Winter 2018-9 and I'm guessing it will be a FGQ.
  • It is listed on the Killington website. Lots of changes and upgrades. Powdr needs to complete with Vail Resorts on the East Coast now. Definitely some interesting changes to Snowdon terrain.

http://www.killington.com/site/culture/blog/authors/killington/the-season-of-more-2018-19
    That looks great.
    I didn't see any improvements listed for the redheaded step child in the mix.
    What a surprise.

It is listed on the Killington website. Lots of changes and upgrades. Powdr needs to complete with Vail Resorts on the East Coast now. Definitely some interesting changes to Snowdon terrain.

http://www.killington.com/site/culture/blog/authors/killington/the-season-of-more-2018-19

So. KMart gets all the lift and trail upgrades and Pico gets RFID. 

wonderful.......
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Wow, heard rumblings of the Snowdon replacement for next year, figured that's where the new South Ridge would be coming from.  But didn't expect a bubble and all the other improvements.  Good chance I'll pick up on one of the 5-day Ikon passes, so already excited for the new stuff.
  • I'm trying to imagine all the bridges and tunnels especially on Snowdon. As for Pico they the redheaded stepchild. Once they connect the two maybe that will change. Does Pico still have the holding pond across the street from the entrance? Do they still use it? I'm surprised they haven't incorporated a Carinthia style snowboard area at Pico, to give back some of the terrain used for the parks. Thoughts?
    Limited snowmaking capacity at Pico (water) - not adequate for features like Carinthia. Won't see more capacity until the two mountains are connected and the Pico side has access to the water from Woodward.

I'm trying to imagine all the bridges and tunnels especially on Snowdon. As for Pico they the redheaded stepchild. Once they connect the two maybe that will change. Does Pico still have the holding pond across the street from the entrance? Do they still use it? I'm surprised they haven't incorporated a Carinthia style snowboard area at Pico, to give back some of the terrain used for the parks. Thoughts?

That would be one big park

I would hope South Ridge is getting snowmaking for the new lift.
  • newpylong said:

Limited snowmaking capacity at Pico (water) - not adequate for features like Carinthia. Won't see more capacity until the two mountains are connected and the Pico side has access to the water from Woodward.

That is what I thought. Maybe with the pressure on Powdr to compete with Vail Resorts and Peak Resorts. It could push them to speed things up. Have they broke at Snowshed for the village?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 456
    To put a lift in that SR pod just for weekend use is unacceptable.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,493
    newman said:

To put a lift in that SR pod just for weekend use is unacceptable.

What would have been unacceptable is putting a brand new lift in to only run weekends.

Operationally it's a no brainer to not run the relocated frankenquad mid week, unless it's a pow day.
  • JMaul said:

It is listed on the Killington website. Lots of changes and upgrades. Powdr needs to complete with Vail Resorts on the East Coast now. Definitely some interesting changes to Snowdon terrain.

wonderful.......

I wouldn't want to see any changes at Pico trail or lift wise. It's a nice break from the monster that is Killington. And certainly no huge terrain park, that'd be a nightmare. :-O
    - Sam
    Here is an excerpt from their recent email:

Today, Killington Resort, along with parent company POWDR, is proud to announce $16 million in new investments—Killington's largest single-year capital investment in 20 years—designed to make the Beast of The East more fun and more accessible for all guests, but especially for families and intermediate skiers and riders. Whether you’re a newcomer to winter sports or a seasoned Killington veteran, we’re confident you’ll find something to be excited about in this round of on-mountain investment. Here are the projects we'll be tackling this summer:

New Snowdon 6-person Detachable Bubble Chairlift
    Replacing the existing Snowdon Quad fixed grip chairlift, this new Poma-Leitner lift will improve access to intermediate and family terrain in the Snowdon area, reducing wait and ride times while increasing passenger comfort.

South Ridge Quad Chairlift
    The highly anticipated replacement of the old South Ridge Triple, removed in 2011, restores ready access to terrific natural snow terrain in the South Ridge area, and provides additional connectivity between Bear Mountain and the north side of the resort.

Extensive Updates to the K-1 Express Gondola
    New Poma-Leitner 8-passenger cabins, new haul rope and a newly enclosed, heated barn for cabin storage will thoroughly modernize the iconic K-1 Express, increasing reliability and guest comfort.

Numerous Trail Improvements
    Installation of bridge and tunnel systems will improve traffic flow at key intersections on Snowdon and Skye Peak. We'll also  widen, re-grade and re-route portions of Great Northern to make it more accommodating for intermediate skiers and riders.

Relocation of the Snowdon Poma Lift to Ramshead’s Swirl Trail
    The move creates a dedicated training area for Killington Mountain School and Killington Ski Club, while increasing guest access to intermediate terrain on Snowdon.

New RFID Systems at Killington and Pico Mountain
    Both resorts will introduce Axess smart gates with RFID (radio-frequency-identification) for direct-to-lift convenience and hands-free automated pass and ticket scanning.
  • I think there's a pretty good chance that this will be the last time a poma lift is installed in a new location. It's even more unique that it's happening at such a large resort.
    - Sam
    br/>I wouldn't want to see any changes at Pico trail or lift wise. It's a nice break from the monster that is Killington. And certainly no huge terrain park, that'd be a nightmare. :-O

I'm with you Sam but some new snowmaking and more snowmaking power would be welcomed at Pico
    JMaul said:

wonderful.......

Actually, I was starting to get worried they might mothball Pico, especially after such a crappy season. This makes me feel better. They wouldn't dump any money into a ski area that is getting shelved.

I think there's a pretty good chance that this will be the last time a poma lift is installed in a new location. It's even more unique that it's happening at such a large resort.

I had to think about that one for a moment and realize that you were referring to the style of a poma lift, not a lift by Leitner-Poma ((which their new bubble 6 pack will be)!!!!  ;))
  • I think there's a pretty good chance that this will be the last time a poma lift is installed in a new location. It's even more unique that it's happening at such a large resort.
    It's a 1958 lift original to the mountain, so I find it neat that it's going to keep on running.
    NJSki said:
    Actually, I was starting to get worried they might mothball Pico, especially after such a crappy season. This makes me feel better. They wouldn't dump any money into a ski area that is getting shelved.
    Anecdotally, I believe their cheap passes have been pretty popular and they're doing decently.
    I don't see a good area at Pico for a big terrain park. The lower mountain lifts are all either mainly novice or mainly expert.
    Does this mean no upgrading of the Bear Mt. lodge, or did that already happen?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,435
    Last I heard... Supposed to happen this summer.
    So it wasn't my imagination. But you would think that the Bear Mt. lodge would part of their announcement.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 66
    I think it was part of the development agreement with Killington to built housing at the base of Devil's Fiddle. Powder isn't involved with the real estate project there.

http://www.vermontbiz.com/news/april/killington-prepares-110-million-upgrade-bear-mountain
    Thanks