Mount Snow 3/10/2018

edited March 11 in Trip Reports Posts: 2,483
Middle of the trail 3pm
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

Mt Snow is deep and on your way home...
    I'm disqualified I guess⛷⛷
    I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the person in front of you.
  • edited March 11 Posts: 2,483
    We have a new SP, Chuckstah is correct!!!!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    OMG OMG OMG
    First, on the way in from Bennington we passed thru Woodford VT the home of Prospect Mtn Nordic Center, also the location of the highest snowfall in the state during the storm with 36".

Some how I deluded myself into thinking it wouldn't be that crowded, what with all the kids sports starting up already, etc.. Boy was I wrong. Also I thought getting there fairly early by 8 AM would make things easier. WRONG again. There was a traffic jam at the main entrance and coming at that hour we still ended up down in lot D.

So; 86 of 86 trails, 18 of 20 trails, 6" new, 41" in the last 7 days , powder on powder on powder, cloudy, no wind. It snowed all day probably adding another inch, but who would notice?

I had thought the Mount would have been skied off (more like down) Friday. WRONG AGAIN. On the main face there were huge swaths untouched and some trails of mostly untouched powder with single tracks thru them. Without enough speed and/or steepness, people were getting stuck, falling over and flailing about. I got stuck twice on my first run under the Summit chair. Got some great tips from the peeps above me. Good aerobic work out. As soon as I extricated myself a group of patrollers came by and one of their number did the same thing I had done. The others had a good laugh at his expense.
    There was laughter all over. What else could you do?
    Elsewhere it was just light, soft silky goodness everywhere. We were having so much fun right where we were we never made it over to North or Sun-brook, but heard good reports about those spots. We took a late lunch but I've never seen the base so jammed. There were hundreds of skis parked on the flats. The Bluebird, Summit, & Canyon queues were filled to capacity.
    But OMG OMG OMG
    Beg, borrow or steal but get to Southern VT NOW. OMG
    imageimageimageimage
    IMG_6960.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 470K
    IMG_6964.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 521K
    IMG_6967.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 463K
    IMG_6963.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 396K
    Wow, WOw, WOW

I guess it would at least come up to my knee in spots, but getting stopped for flatness and too much snow? Only ever had that on a snowmobile iirc

Great report ski_it, there's got to be some Magic around here somewhere
  • edited April 10 Posts: 2,483

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the person in front of you.

I think after floundering around a while he had to take his board off and wallow over to a tracked area. In general boarders had it better in the untracked, unless they stopped.
    Here are a few more pics from the weekend.  I skied it Friday 9am-3:15pm (a bit of a mistake - legs were hurting on Sat.) Skied 7:30 am express till 12:30 with no breaks on Sat.  Skied 8am til 10:30 this (Sunday) AM.

I have heard varying reports on parking and lift op's.  I was lucky I guess, as I was parked on Thurs nite and never moved my car until leaving this morning.  I thought Snow lift op's did fine.  Grand Summit came on line Friday once the Bluebird line swelled.  Northface opened with one lift but had the 2nd one going by 10:15 once it got dug out.  The grooming was interesting on Fri/Sat and I liked what they did. Essentially, on the main face,  they groomed a single track on a lot of trails leaving you the option to go in and out of the ungroomed snow.  Most quickly discovered there was too much snow with not enough pitch on the main face trails to get a groove going in the ungroomed... but with the single groom paths you could venture in and out.  Northface was another story - plenty of pitch for 30+ inches of snow. It was a pleasure and pain convention on Northface. By this morning, most everything on the main face was groomed - and with my legs still wobbly, that was fine.  Northface was still a rubber legger's paradise.

One More Time

Olympic looking up

Olympic look down

Ego Alley

Somerset Res from Cascade

Great pics. I agree with your assessments 100%. Can't confirm the North Face part because I didn't go over, but no I have no doubt your report is right on the money. Lift ops and grooming did a great job. I wouldn't ever want to dig a lift out of 3-4 feet of snow.

When I used to ski Snow Olympic had the best natural bumps bar none.
    newpylong said:

Hmm not in my short experience in the last few years. Except for the first 50 yards it is usually groomed flat. It can build some bumps during the day. The woods next to it can be pretty cool. 
    ski_it said:

newpylong said:

Hmm not in my short experience in the last few years. Except for the first 50 yards it is usually not groomed. It can build some bumps during the day. The woods next to it can be pretty cool. 
    Correct - Olympic was groomed on Sat when I skied it.  Everything else on NF was not groomed.  I did not ski Ripcord, but  it was fun to watch skiers come down from the intersection with River Run.  Beartrap was great on Friday.  Should have taken some pic's on BearTrap.
    This was a decade ago, that is too bad. Perfect low angle bump run.
  • edited March 12 Posts: 1,117
    Last Sunday (even after that first 17" nor'easter) Ripcord was a solid sheet of ice.  Strangely open but no one tried it.  It's amazing that any of the 42" stuck to that pitch.
    obienick said:

Last Sunday (even after that first 17" nor'easter) Ripcord was a solid sheet of ice.  Strangely open but no one tried it.  It's amazing that any of the 42" stuck to that pitch.

There was a big , I'll even say huge ice patch skiers left where the snow clearly just slipped off. If you were going to ski it, I would say Friday was the day.  When I say it fun to watch, I kind of meant kind of sadistically cause there were a lot of bail outs.
    obienick said:

They did take their new Pisten Bully 600 winchcat to Ripcord on Wednesday, the day before the storm hit
    Thanks for the report.  Debating going to Snow tomorrow, but will likely just wait for the next round of snow, and hit the Crotch tomorrow.
    Skiers left stayed pretty good all weekend. My kids did there first ever runs down it, so they were pretty excited. I think we hit it 6 times over the last 3 days. So much good stuff all over!!!

Lots on Saturday filled up faster than I've ever seen. Some lady was about block an entire row in at Sundance while I was getting lunch from the car. Told her she can park there but my wife will be ramming her car out of the way in about an hour. Seems she decided against it, no fun for wifey.
  • edited March 12 Posts: 2,483
    I think I've been down Ripcord 3 times. Leaving it to people who can actually ski it well.
    The way people park there they must think they are in the Bronx. They need to start towing some of these inconsiderate morons.
    Didn't see any pull backs at the chair to get an empty ride but did see a new maneuver in the queue. Two guys moving up thru the line pretending their friends were just ahead of us (you) then looking for incomplete sixes while cutting back and forth across rows until they successfully moved way up in the queue. Apparently I was the only person of the hundred people they cut off who noticed and verbally objected,
    Hey I was in Sundance Sat. Briefly around 11. Love that 70's decor.
    I heard they ran out of parking space.  I think the New England ski industry had a good weekend.
  • edited March 12 Posts: 2,765
    I parked at one of the walk thru gates at Crystal Mi and some idiot moron from Minnesota of all places left less than a foot for Brendan to get in on the passenger side. I actually took a few pics but deleted them. It happened after our 1 pm car brown bag lunch break.

I heard they ran out of parking space.  I think the New England ski industry had a good weekend.

Having left my place at Mount Snow on Saturtday, drove through Stratton on the way to Bromley for a race my kids had there, then back through Stratton to Mount Snow Saturday afternoon, then on Sunday my kids were racing at Magic. Between actual on hill experiences myself at Bromley and Magic, and then just seeing the shear volume of cars at Stratton and Mount Snow, SoVT had a BIG weekend!!!
  • edited March 12 Posts: 2,483
    DrJeff said:

SoVT had a BIG weekend!!!

They deserve it!!!  It seems like they've been short changed on weekends this season.

One more example of the depth there. I think this was at the middle of South Bowl where it crosses over to ShootOut.
    I wasn't actually trying to ski in this, as I knew it was going to stop me dead. And there were plenty of deeper spots around.
    2018_03_10 Mt Snow (3).JPG
    768 x 1024 - 331K
    If I was there I'd be 4'8"!
    Powder to the people!

Reminds me of the day I snowmobiles out at Jackson hole near Yellowstone at Togwotee and if you did not stop facing downhill you were automatically stuck. And you could not walk in the snow you could barely crawl in it if you could at all
    Great Report. Winter has finally arrived.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • edited March 12 Posts: 332
    Olympic is the easiest way down on the Northface, maybe they wanted one groomed way down for those people who needed it.  It used to be rated as a blue.

Nice to see Mount Snow looking so snowey! :)
    I believe they changed it to a black when they started a advertising thing saying the NF was the largest expert complex someplace.
    marcski said:

Olympic is the easiest way down on the Northface, maybe they wanted one groomed way down for those people who needed it.  It used to be rated as a blue.

Nice to see Mount Snow looking so snowey! :)

It looks like it changed around 1987 or 88. Probably when Carinthia was added to the mix.