Take a run down Tenney's Shooting Star and Edelweiss Trails

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,096
I was at Tenney on the afternoon of the 11th - must have arrived just as Obienick was leaving. I'll have more updates in the future, but 
wanted to share this video I took of skiing down the Shooting Star and Edelweiss Trails. Lots of variety in this 1.5 mile long run!

Jeremy

Comments

• Thanks for sharing, I was looking for a video like this!
    - Sam
    Wow! Nice long run. No one else on the trail. Good luck to them. Home this storm brings lots of more snow.
    Thanks JD! Only saw one person I believe and 2 lattice towers!
    Packed down pretty good , surprised. Was that a groomer groomed run? Looked fast

4 minutes to get down nonstop, that's 10 times longer than our avg run here. Only thing better, a nice big lake in the distance like Gunstock or Squaw but I'm not complaining.

Only 45 cars in lot ? According to Obie, not a great opening day turnout imho, why so few in your opinion(s)?
    Thanks JD! Only saw one person I believe and 2 lattice towers!
    Packed down pretty good , surprised. Was that a groomer groomed run? Looked fast

4 minutes to get down nonstop, that's 10 times longer than our avg run here. Only thing better, a nice big lake in the distance like Gunstock or Squaw but I'm not complaining.

Only 45 cars in lot ? According to Obie, not a great opening day turnout imho, why so few in your opinion(s)?
    Beyond the NELSAP group:
    1. The average skier wants a reasonable base so s/he doesn't damage their equipment.
    2. The average skier doesn't even know Tenney is open.  Their condx are not listed in snocountry.com.  [Aside: Crotched Mtn. has been  open for 14 seasons.  I still hear from an occasional guest, "I just found out that you re-opened."]
    3. With ski area pricing, a lot of people don't want to spend money on lift tickets when they already have a season pass at another area (or grouping of areas).
    4. etc.
    Nice video, Jeremy.

I noticed areas where the trails were only half cleared of brush and overgrowth from them being closed. I wonder if they'll keep it that way or eventually widen to the original widths? Kind of hope they keep it old-school narrow.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Very cool- hope people get there in this next storm- will be really nice.

Love it when a place is revived.
    Did they have the triple open?
    Makes perfect logistical sense Joshua. Thanks
    I was just hoping for more turnout for my own oddball reasons, lol.

Now if they could get that summit Squaw lift running again....⛷⛷
  • newman said:

Did they have the triple open?

not this season
    - Sam
    Glad you all enjoyed it! You can really see how long the trails are in that video - I was going roughly my max speed and it still took 5 minutes to get down. Some replies to your comments:

1. You can see a lot of trails that not yet been reclaimed. Tenney has been very open about this, calling it a soft opening with limited terrain. One may be able to get down some of them, but lots of pucker brush.

2. Triple is not running as of yet due to flood damage last year on that side of the mountain.

3. The Platter lift was running too, with beginner slope and tubing, and there were a few dozen people over there too.

4. Tenney got tons of press recently - major TV stations did stories on it, they have 11000 followers on their Facebook page (more than some other areas), and great articles in the Concord Monitor, and coverage on ski sites. So I think the word is out. While it wasn't super busy there this weekend, that can be attributed to the lateness of the reopening in March, people having other plans at other mountains, limited services (no food, lessons, bar, etc). All of which Tenney has been pretty open about, and all things that will be returning in the near future.

5. There were a good # of college age students so I know that Plymouth U will be targeted for marketing next year.

6. Even with the limited terrain, I wouldn't have been bored there on Sunday - you can mix and match your way down.

7. While the chair is long, it does give you a break - like the double at Magic. 1300' vertical and minimum of 1.2 mile descents.

8. I noticed the glades weren't cleared yet - it's not often one sees a "lost glade".
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 146
    Excellent video!    Just a note:  on Saturday, there was a food truck (from Rumney, I believe)  in the parking lot - not sure what they had.  Saw a lot of really good skiers including a tiny kid ripping it up on tele gear!!!   The ski patroller I saw was on a snowboard - YAY.   Hopefully the place gets some traction.   I hope it keeps the vibe and doesn't get ruined/trails over-widened/etc. and loses its character!!!
    ciscokid said:

What’s the Squaw lift at Tenney? I only knew of the two chairs and the platter.

ciscokid said:

What’s the Squaw lift at Tenney? I only knew of the two chairs and the platter.
    He's talking about the  upper lift at Big Squaw, ME.
    The original plan a couple years back was to open the Triple side with minimal snowmaking and the Double with natural.  They cleared the Triple trails first. I have a feeling the brushing on that side might be better.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,435
    Joshua, I was impressed by the 45 cars in the lot. On a Sunday.  Of their soft opening weekend.  With just Facebook word and 2 local media stories.  And no conditions page on their limited website.
    Wow really crowded, reminds of Mt Snow last Saturday. N-O-T!
    Nice Job JD, I feel like I remember that trail now.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    From what I recall, the triple side was fully cleared before the legal thing went down. I think the chair passed inspection, IIRC.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,162
    Sat. was excellent skiing in my mind. The only thin spots and they were real small spots were on the few short steep narrow sections, otherwise than that the cover was the best I've skied all season. With no snowmaking the ice was really minimal. Knowing the mtn. as well as I do I ventured out onto some closed trails that were just begging to be skied and the powder was incredible for sure a day I can't get out of my mind even today. I'll be back Sat., any one else?
    Those trails were always some of my favorites!!!!
    I'll probably be back Sunday again.
    obienick said:

Joshua, I was impressed by the 45 cars in the lot. On a Sunday.  Of their soft opening weekend.  With just Facebook word and 2 local media stories.  And no conditions page on their limited website.

Agreed. Do we know if it was 45 cars of guests?  I assume there were at least 3 lifties, 1 ticket seller and 4 patrolmen.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 456
    Does anyone remember if the Hornet had a mid station years ago? For some reason I thought I had seen a map with one on it. I also remember one of the trails that zig zag down being green on the map, maybe just from the mid down?