Tuckerman Ravine 4/14/2018

edited April 2018 in Trip Reports Posts: 5,479
After volunteering at Hermit Lake during yesterday's Inferno race, I hiked part way up Hillman's Highway and skied down to Pinkham via the Sherburne Trail. There was a slight break in the cloud cover which allowed for some visibility, but freezing rain started as I hiked up. There was moderate avalanche danger and the snow had turned to ice, so I only bootpacked up as far as the turn. Reports from those who went above that point were that it wasn't worth it to go higher. The hard part was clipping into skis on the edge of Hillman's, but we got it done. The run down was very fast and icy all the way to Pinkham with frozen hard moguls. Bare spots are showing through on parts of the Sherbie, but it was still easy to ski continuously.

View from Hermit LakeimageThe Ravine from Hermit LakeimageMorning view from the Base of Hillman'simageSkiers at the Base of Hillman'simageAfternoon View from Hillman'simageHillman's HighwayimageHillman's HighwayimageReady to Drop inimageHillman's HighwayimageSherburne TrailimageSherburne TrailimageSherburne Trailimage
- Sam

Comments

One word ( ok 2)

Awesome photography!!

Top 7 pics looks Western like

Hey I see ski_it across the valley at the 'cat!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,667
    Now there's some East Coast grit! Nice report Sam. I had thought it must be race weekend. I came in thru Gorham so I didn't see the crowd until late. Also only saw one kayak...in the road.
    I couldn't believe the number of people in Pinkham on a day like that. Wasn't it dangerous up there?
    On the downhill side of Rt 16 a pickup with a cap and kayak had flipped on its side somehow. Looked like an episode from Highway thru Hell. We ran into the same poor pickup on a flatbed followed by a tow truck 3 hours later in Conway on the road to Tucks.

Now these folks have true grit:
    The Tuckerman Inferno Pentathlon, based on the original American Inferno ski races of the 1930’s, now consists of an 8.3-mile run, a 6-mile kayak race down the Saco River, an 18-mile bike race north through Pinkham Notch, and a 3-mile run/hike up the Tuckerman Trail to Mount Washington's Tuckerman Ravine. The final leg is a climb up the ravine wall and a ski down a designated giant slalom alpine ski route. Conditions permitting, skiers will finish at the AMC base at Pinkham Notch.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Great report and photos! It definitely looks a bit stiff up there. How are your legs doing? Do you think the snow will hold for much longer? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
  • bmwskier said:

Great report and photos! It definitely looks a bit stiff up there. How are your legs doing? Do you think the snow will hold for much longer? 

The legs are fine, it's more the feet which hurt from the constant jostling and jolting of the uneven hard snow. There's plenty of snow up in the Ravine, I'd say average for this time of year or maybe a little more, but the Sherburne will probably only be skiable all the way to Pinkham for another week or less.
    - Sam
  • Recon hike to Hillman's before the raceimage
    - Sam
    Hey your a splinten image of Conrad, sure your name ain't Sam Ward? Lol

Great reporting as usual
    GREAT report and photos.  Thanks so much for sharing.
    Wow great report and pic's. still looks like there's plenty of snow up there. None of the three times we went up there this time of the year could we ski much more than 1/2 way back down on the Sherbie.