Sugarbush 4/19/2018

It was yet another day of mid-winter conditions at Sugarbush. Gadd, Lincoln, and Castlerock Peaks were still open for the season, served by the Super Bravo Express, Heaven's Gate Triple, and Castlerock Double. Almost every trail and glade on those mountains was still open. The base was icy, but still deep on the upper mountain. On the lower mountain ground was showing through in a couple of spots. They had picked up five inches of snow the day before and there was still plenty of untracked powder to be found in the woods. Temperatures were in the thirties and it snowed throughout the day. Some bump runs were scraped off, but just as many were excellent. Glades were very fun, but I noted that many had not been maintained very well. It was relatively busy, but lines were minimal. The best runs of the day were in the sidecountry chutes near Paradise which still had lots of untracked powder.

Super Bravo ExpressimageBase AreaimageSuper Bravo ExpressimageHeaven's Gate TripleimageHeaven's Gate TripleimageHeaven's Gate TripleimageJesterimageHeaven's Gate TripleimageOrgangrinderimageCastlerock DoubleimageMiddle EarthimageGansta's GrottoimageParadise SidecountryimageParadise SidecountryimageLast Run on The Mallimage
- Sam

Comments

What's with the sideways pics?

Great shots, nonetheless
  • What's with the sideways pics?

Great shots, nonetheless

Probably somehow similar to what was happening with the upside-down ones. I uploaded these from my phone.
    - Sam
    sick, simply sick. Thanks for the report, even if it made me pissed that I'm not heading North!
    Grooming Castlerock AND Middle Earth tonight.... 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    OK-- today was pretty epic--- good snow, band and good turns right until 5 pm. Great to leave the parking lot with the sun still shining and have it with me all the way home. Couldn't even take photos because I didn't want to stop to do so. 
    Tomorrow should be just as good, though warmer. 
    :-) 

;))
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    bmwskier said:

OK-- today was pretty epic--- good snow, band and good turns right until 5 pm. Great to leave the parking lot with the sun still shining and have it with me all the way home. Couldn't even take photos because I didn't want to stop to do so. 

;))
    Any people skiing?

bmwskier said:

;))
    Any people skiing?
    I'll be there
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 1,032
    We had lift lines all day. Castlerock was, unfortunately, about thirty minutes long. Chairs were filled at HG right up until we stopped loading at 4:05 and there was a crowd we followed down at sweep. Large gathering in the Gate House plaza at the end of the day. 

Loto-- I should be too, check for me at a patrol shack-- 8-43 is my radio number (Paul Parsons). 
    Just got back- had other obligations- was not able to get to HG, sorry- stayed on Castlerock...unbelievable. Coverage was incredible.

I have also never seen an April crowd that size- overflow lots on both sides of road full, with lots of BBQ and pop up tents. Place is rocking.

Heard from a patrolman that someone has rented upper Mt. Ellen tomorrow, cabin cat and all. Will be phenomenal for that lucky group! My guess is the cat ride up from Glen House is faster than the Summit chair...
    I just got back today too. Valley House Quad was my spot all day. Heavens gate was fun, but the most sun and softest snow was on Spring Fling. The terrain park was surprisingly fun, with a decent size jump and a really fun minipipe with rails on the walls.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 1,032
    Damn--- I was on Heaven's Gate and then Bravo for the end of the day when we closed HG. Crowd was reported at 3,000!!! Biggest April before was only 1800. 

It was an epic day all around. 

Photos later, my quads are crying for sleep. 
    bmwskier said:

How often do they groom anything at Castlerock?
    skirick said:

bmwskier said:

From my understanding, this is only the second time this season, which is rare in the first place. I also love that almost every time I go to Sugarbush I see Win Smith talking to customers and skiers. I have a lot of admiration for him. 
    mtsnow123 said:

skirick said:

bmwskier said:

From my understanding, this is only the second time this season, which is rare in the first place. I also love that almost every time I go to Sugarbush I see Win Smith talking to customers and skiers. I have a lot of admiration for him. 
    I would guess it gets it 2-3 times a year. Cotillion often gets love as well as CR and ME. My guess is they need the winch to get through Jaws on ME.
    The lower flat sections of ME, Rumble and Cotillion also get it as well, along with C Connector.

WInch cat on the steep sections. I think there is an anchor point at the top of the pitches like there is at the top of Steins, Ripcord and Organgrinder where the groomer can hook in to pull itself up. 

The Lincoln Limo did go over to Mt Ellen for that tour group. Wish I was working that!

Photos from Sunday. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Nice shots of Ripcord. IMO that trail does not get the credit it deserves. Usually lunar for the first 20 yards, unless you stay under the lift or far left, then a great, consistent pitch before the slope really drops fast before the island. Below that it is a rolling bunch o' fun, sometimes groomed, sometimes not, all the way to the little ego pitch at the bottom. Sustained pitch all the way down with surprising variety for a wide slope. 
    It was Hollywood snow conditions. Everyone was looking good! I wish I had made it over to Castlerock to ski ME and CR when it was groomed. I actually had someone complain that they were groomed because it made the lift lines longer!  :-/
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,667
    So nice! Doesn’t look crowded
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

So nice! Doesn’t look crowded

Big area, tons of terrain open. Parking lot was beyond full. With 4 lifts, a ton of woods, and 50-some trails, people spread out, or hung in the bar/parking lot tailgate scene
    bmwskier said:

It was Hollywood snow conditions. Everyone was looking good! I wish I had made it over to Castlerock to ski ME and CR when it was groomed. I actually had someone complain that they were groomed because it made the lift lines longer!  :-/

Related to that, why is it that the chairs are spaced so far apart on that lift?
    skirick said:

bmwskier said:

Related to that, why is it that the chairs are spaced so far apart on that lift?
    Not entirely sure, could be a better question on Alpine Zone as Win is always posting. My guesses would be: less wear and tear on motor and crowd control on slopes.
    It's traditional--as that is the way it was before we replaced the lift and it's also for crowd control for the area. Surprisingly, I timed the lift this year and it's only a ten minute ride up. 
    Boy that is blue sky!

Who has skied this "run"?( sorry Conrad)image
    I've been on the Church. 
    bmwskier said:

I've been on the Church. 

Me, too! Not in a while, but looks the same. Also an incredible spot in the summer if you are in the mood to hike the LT a bit.
    There are several new areas that have opened up as well due to mud slides-- one visible best from the top of North Lynx between there and Mt Ellen. Best access is from MEllen though-- about a fifteen minute trip in. From what I hear, the base of it is still pretty messy due to the debris from the slide. 

A lot of Paradise woods also opened up due to slides as well. 
    bmwskier said:

There are several new areas that have opened up as well due to mud slides-- one visible best from the top of North Lynx between there and Mt Ellen. Best access is from MEllen though-- about a fifteen minute trip in. From what I hear, the base of it is still pretty messy due to the debris from the slide. 

I just heard that from a ski patroller while riding up Heavens Gate. Heard it needs a good amount to be fun, most likely a stream right now.
  • mtsnow123 said:

bmwskier said:

I just heard that from a ski patroller while riding up Heavens Gate. Heard it needs a good amount to be fun, most likely a stream right now.

The slide I skied in Paradise woods was excellent when I was there. There was some frozen stream ice underneath, but there was enough powder on top for it to be very fun.

- Sam

mtsnow123 said:

bmwskier said:

The slide I skied in Paradise woods was excellent when I was there. There was some frozen stream ice underneath, but there was enough powder on top for it to be very fun.

I was referring to the slide down the fall line at Mount Ellen. He pointed it out on the lift,  which is a small opening in the woods leading down to skier's left of CR.