Thunderbolt Trail Mt Greylock MA 5/26/2018

edited May 2018 in Trip Reports Posts: 4,667
Guess this ski trail. That’s a hint...I think.
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

From the clue, Wildcat? Before the view. Total guess.....but have hiked up there.
  • Well, if we're guessing backcountry ski trails, I might as well guess Thunderbolt.
    - Sam
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,667
    Well, if we're guessing backcountry ski trails, I might as well guess Thunderbolt.
    Well that didn’t take long. I’ll add more info later
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Thunderbolt Trail on Mt Greylock, MAimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Amazing job all the volunteer have done maintaining it in the past decade or more. When I was growing up, the width of the trail consisted of just a single file path, basically where it's worn in in that picture above.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,667
    I agree Newpylong. Knowing little or nothing beforehand about the status of the trail I wasn't expecting to find any trace of the trail at all from the summit. Sorry, the pics are better viewed from a phone.... The first pic is from about 50 yds below the road. The 2nd pic of the trail is from right below the road. That's a pretty cool wood stove arrangement. 4 stoves around into one chimney. I've seen stoves on either side of a wall before ( 2 rooms) but nothing like this. Not sure you'd want to ski down from the Thunderbolt Lodge now a days. The TB lodge is down the end of the parking lot. The ski trail heads straight down this fairly narrow path to cross the road. Then across the road there is a telephone pole type guard rail with an opening in it leading to a set of stairs where the trail opens up. The opening wasn't lined up real well with the upper trail either. Some of you better skiers with enough snow I'm sure could negotiate it. Looking at the relief map the first section down to the saddle looks to coincide with the Appalachian Trail
    After a number of decades living in this state this was my first trip to the summit. Arrived late enough not to have to pay for parking, but the War Memorial tower was closed. The Bascom summit was lodge was open for their first day of the season. They have a restaurant, sell beer, snacks and have live music Saturday evenings. We could see Mt Snow, Sunapee and probably Bromley. Little too hazy to make out Crotched and others.image
    One of my favorite day-hikes!
    This is what it looked like on Dec. 3, 2002.imageimageimageimage
    Now those are beautiful pictures
    Belated post but ALL pictures are beautiful at such a historic mountain!

Thanks
    Welcome back kid