Going to ALASKA!

2»

Comments

There's a lost ski area in Chena Hot Springs, just a steepish slope with maybe 400 vertical feet. It was still visible when I was there in 2009, maybe too overgrown to make out by now. Located just east of the resort.
    you were there for work ?  wow.  tell me more.  

As a tourist, you have to go to that blue shack motel and go into the gift shop and sign up for a bus tour.  They let you out briefly by the ocean.  No way you can drive to the beach yourself.  Call ahead for confirmation of availability.  The only other place to stop is the Ace hardware (how about that), from what I remember.    

ciscokid said:

Oh I failed to mention it's Sept 18
    No I won't be skiing but will take the tram at Aly  

/div>

Another pastime that is a favorite of mine in Anchorage is going into the fur shops. The furs are way out of my price range, and I'm not real keen on wearing dead animals, but it's an amazing opportunity to feel the fur of wolves, seals, bears, etc.  I just walk around touching everything,  

Yea my dad when sold the farm bought my mom a mink, can remember her wearing it once, what a waste.

Remember Jan '95 at a ATM in Aspen getting cash for my then astronomical $50 lift ticket with 2 chicks in mink coats standing behind me, kinda like dumb and dumber

Actually I have found goose down to be the warmest, had a g down sleeping bag once, that was toasty
  • pagamony said:

you were there for work ?  wow.  tell me more.  

As a tourist, you have to go to that blue shack motel and go into the gift shop and sign up for a bus tour.  They let you out briefly by the ocean.  No way you can drive to the beach yourself.  Call ahead for confirmation of availability.  The only other place to stop is the Ace hardware (how about that), from what I remember.    
    Good intel on the access, that sounds about right.

Yes, I've worked up there off and on for the past 20-ish years. I'm a marine ecologist. I've done consulting work for both the government and the oil companies. Done a lot of driving, float planes, helicopters, and boats into the more remote stretches between Barrow, Deadhorse, and ANWR. Also have spent WAY too much time on ships in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas.

Honestly, I wouldn't call the area "beautiful". It's mostly grey-on-grey. But it sure is worth checking out and checking the box on having done it. I'm very glad I've been able to do it and know that CiscoKid will be getting a trip if a lifetime with all you have planned.
    Greetings from Talkeetna Ak
    > @ciscokid said:
    >

Beers look great or Bob. Enjoy
    Have a great trip!
    Took the best flight seeing ride of my life, snow, ice , glaciers . At 14000 ft and looking up 6000 at Denali
    From 38000
    Jealous!!
    What are you waiting for? Run over and ski that thing!!!
    Actually one of the dumbest things I've done is hike on a glacier(s). And alone to boot. Don't do it.
    I'm waiting for the pics from the tram at Alyeska.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Projected alyeska on Monday- Tuesday
    5 Moose so far
    Worthington glacier
    Valdez Thompson pass 2600'
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,277
    Rootin for the bosox since my Dartmouth thread was destroyed
  • More great pics!
    - Sam
    I think I heard Alyeska was sold , hear anything?
    The pickup was comfortable but a little snug in the camper, wife decided Motel's from now on
    6.4 hemi had a ton of balls but thirsty, drove 2200 miles, gas from 3.15 to $4.50 on the Richardson highway in Paxsonimage

Saw 10 Moose these 2 cows near Denaliimage

Did not win the park road lottery but went in 13 miles and camped at Savage river within Denali NP the last night they were open for season 9/18/18image

Denali highway 130 miles of potholes , washboard and gravel, ranked 2nd most beautiful in the WORLDimage

Someone is enjoying being able to have his pics come up
    12k mt Drum Glenallen image

Lots of pulloutsimage

Worthington glacier on way to Valdezimage

imagematanuska glacierimage
    The $399 hour and half flightseeing ride was the most awe inspiring visually captivating

We never flew about 14000' and could not see the summit of Denali/ McKinley but still worth every penny

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Beautiful pics, Ciscokid! Were you now able to post these from your mobile phone?
    Yes Ted figured it out and now Chuck, ski_it, and yours truly can now post direct ( most of the time)

The pics from the twin turbo 8 passenger flying around Denali are off the tv and poor quality as you can see. I took 90% of my flightseeing on my sony hd video camcorder.

Yes it was a trip of a lifetime but hope to get back above the Arctic circle in June someday