Denton Hill Plans

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 2,579
DCNR unveils Denton Hill plans at public meeting
• By AMANDA JONES Era Correspondent amandajonesera@yahoo.com
• May 24, 2018

COUDERSPORT — Proposed plans for the rehabilitation of Denton Hill State Park and Ski Denton were presented to the public during a meeting held Wednesday at the lodge at Denton Hill.
Personnel from the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and members of the firms who assisted with development of a master plan to restore Ski Denton facilities and operations and transform the park into a four-season attraction presented information on proposed upgrades and reconstruction.
“The mountain offers unique resources and downhill terrain that makes it special,” said DCNR Bureau of State Parks Director John Hallas. “We will be moving forward with the (Request for Proposal) process and hopefully at this time next year we’ll be enhancing the design.”

Hallas and representatives of LaBella Associates, the firm tasked with creating the master plan, discussed a number of aspects of construction, including which buildings will require refurbishing or demolition and reconstruction, infrastructure issues, projected costs, and the end plans for the Denton Hill property.
Currently, costs are expected to exceed available approved revenue for the construction. The estimates to complete all needed repairs and new construction exceed $18 million. The project currently has $12 million in approved funding through Act 85 of 2013. Work may have to be completed in phases, though Hallas stated that the plan is to reopen the park following the first phase of construction.
“Costs go above and beyond the capital authorization,” said Hallas. “This is not all going to happen at once. After the first phase, the park can be opened up…. We want to move expeditiously.”
The Ski Lodge, or Adventure Center as it is now being called, will be left mostly as it is “due to its iconic visual character.” Changes are required, however, to bring the building up to code. It currently has no roof insulation, outdated windows, old kitchen equipment, and some areas are not accessible to people with disabilities. An elevator will be installed and changes will be made to the interior of the structure to make all areas accessible while keeping the distinct look and feel of the sixties-era building.
Across the park, electrical upgrades will be required, and heating systems in several buildings will be changed over to more efficient propane systems from the current older heating oil boilers that were previously being utilized.
The maintenance building will remain, but an addition will eventually be added to house Ski Patrol and First Aid personnel and equipment. The cabin colony will see upgrades to parking and other aspects before it is reopened. The compressor building will be demolished and rebuilt, while significant upgrades to the water system to address leaks and provide a bigger storage area will be required.
Ski trails will be graded and moved slightly in some areas to make it easier, and safer, for skiers to access trails, lifts, the lodge and other amenities.
One of the biggest changes will be to the lift system. Currently, the park has two chair lifts that are both outdated and likely malfunctioning due to several years of disuse. The new plans call for only one chair lift, larger than the current ones, and several smaller Poma lifts, but the above-mentioned changes will make it easier for skiers to access all trails than it was in years past. Expansion of the snow-tubing area, and a Poma-style lift for that area, are also in the works.
Trails in a number of areas will be lighted for night-skiing activities, which were very popular at Denton when it was open in the past. Snow-making machines for all the trails are also included in the master plan. They are a large part of the cost of reopening, estimated to cost nearly $7.8 million.

“We felt the facility and existing systems had a lot of value to DCNR, Potter County and the PA Wilds,” stated Hallas. “Sustainability is in the forefront of our efforts — Denton Hill has a part to play in the regional picture.”
The plan also details several suggestions for turning Denton Hill into a four-season attraction, including making the park a sort of hiking and multi-use trail hub, addition of an Aerial Adventure Course, designating a large open area for events and festivals, and possibly creation of a down hill and cross-country combination bicycle course.
“There is a lot to do around Denton — hiking, biking, fishing, canoeing, camping — but not a lot of organized activities, so this could fill a gap and generate revenue,” said Claire Hamburg, a LaBella presenter. “Future operators have a number of opportunities to review for additional revenue opportunities off-season.”
Hallas stated that DCNR has started the process to advance a Request for Proposals, an official process that would bring in interested vendors to develop the public-private partnership planned for the park’s continued operational success.
According to Hallas, at Laurel Mountain Ski Resort, DCNR brought in an operator during the design process to come up with a plan to successfully reopen the park, and that the process worked well. A similar approach is being taken for Denton Hill, with hopes that a partner will be signed on by the end of this year. At that time, the design process will start.
Skiing will not be open at Denton Hill during the 2018-19 season, but the reopen now seems more of a reality than it has since operations were shuttered in 2014.

www.bradfordera.com/news/dcnr-unveils-denton-hill-plans-at-public-meeting/article

Comments

Whattttttttttt are those!!! No but really what is this? From what I gathered the State of PA is paying to reopen a PALSAP(Jeremy can have that one) area that closed after 2013/14? And not just reopen, but investing heavily and installing new lifts? Wow, this is impressive and at the same time man oh man does Philly need those millions of taxpayer does more than rich white people need another ski area...
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 2,962
    Hey that's great news, if it happens.

Seems to me that if the Commonwealth of PA spends $18 million to reopen a ski area, 20 years from now they can look back and say that it had a positive impact on the region. On the other hand, if they sink $18 million -- or even $118 million -- into Philly, it will still be a hell hole, with "rich white people" trashing convenience stores.

This is going nowhere fast. But it does seem like the state realizes it's better to support rather than run a ski area. That's what they did with Laurel Mt.

DCNR Seeking Proposals For Skiing, Four-Season Concessionaire At Denton Hill State Park In Potter County
    04/27/2021

​Harrisburg, PA -- State Parks Director John Hallas today announced the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) is seeking proposals to operate a downhill ski and four-season recreation center at Denton Hill State Park in Potter County.

Denton Hill includes a downhill ski area that has been closed since the winter of 2014. A new master plan for the park includes infrastructure improvements to the ski area and positions a concessionaire to grow recreational opportunities in all four seasons.

DCNR is committing $10 million in capital improvements to support the implementation of a master plan for the park.

“The department is seeking a concessionaire to lease approximately 700 acres and work with DCNR to create a year-round park operation with a winter mountain recreation focus,” Hallas said. “DCNR believes with infrastructure improvements and the right partner Denton Hill will become another attraction that brings visitors to the Pennsylvania Wilds region in all four seasons.”

The design phase of this project will coincide with the award of a concession lease agreement. DCNR intends that the selected concessionaire will work with it to help identify and prioritize improvements during the design process.

Denton Hill State Park is located along Route 6 in Ulysses Township, Potter County, in the Pennsylvania Wilds.

The park was developed by DCNR as a specialized ski area in the early 1950s. All permanent infrastructure at Denton Hill is owned by DCNR and is in need of major rehabilitation and modernization to bring it to acceptable industry standards.

DCNR’s website contains information on available state park concession opportunities. The Denton Hill request is SFP# 2021-BSP-01.

Interested parties are strongly encouraged to make arrangements to visit Denton Hill State Park to ascertain the condition of the facility by contacting the Bureau of State Parks regional office at 814-486-3365.

Proposals must be received in a sealed envelope no later than Friday, June 9. DCNR will begin reviewing proposals on Friday, June 16, 2021.

Find more information about the Denton Hill State Park master plan on the DCNR website.

MEDIA CONTACT: Christina Novak, 717-579-5177
    The unfortunate location of Denton hours from nowhere, combined with its small size, has made it a long shot to reopen. I would love to visit if it ever reopens, but it is 4.5 hours from me in north NJ. I guess I could try and visit Blue Knob on the same trip. Blue Knob is only 3 hours south of Denton :D .
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 60
    TomWhite wrote: »
    This is going nowhere fast. But it does seem like the state realizes it's better to support rather than run a ski area. That's what they did with Laurel Mt.

Compared to the time it took for the state to actually begin work on Laurel, this is moving fast. Seven Springs signed a lease for Laurel in 2008. If I remember correctly work began in 2015. The opening occurred for the 2016/17 season. It will be interesting to see if Bob Nutting (Seven Springs owner) will bid on the concession. If there are no bids from an experienced ski area operator I doubt the viability of this project.
    State reps won't give up on reboot of Ski Denton in Potter County
    • By JIM ECKSTROM The Bradford Era
    • Aug 18, 2021

The former Ski Denton was operated at Denton Hill State Park in Potter County, Pa. until 2014.
    Olean Times Herald file photo
    State Reps. Martin Causer and Clint Owlett said Tuesday they will continue to advocate for operating a downhill ski and recreation center at Denton Hill State Park — even though there have been no bidders to date.
    Since April, the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources has sought a concessionaire to lease the Potter County site, make necessary improvements to current infrastructure to reopen downhill skiing. It has also been hoped that an operator would develop four-season recreation opportunities at the park, which was developed as a ski area in the 1950s.
    The DCNR confirmed Tuesday it received no bids for its initial proposal by the deadline last month.
    “This is disappointing news, obviously, but it doesn’t change what we know about the immense potential that exists for skiing and other outdoor activities at Denton Hill State Park,” the lawmakers said in a joint press release. “Our kids and families need this. Our communities need this. Our tourism industry needs this.
    “We are not giving up on Denton Hill and encourage DCNR to do the same,” they said.
    Causer, R-Turtlepoint, whose House district includes McKean, part of Potter and Cameron counties, and Owlett, a Wellsboro Republican whose district includes part of Potter and Bradford counties and Tioga County, said they are encouraged by DCNR’s plan to talk with parties that had expressed some interest in the project to learn more about their reasons for not submitting a bid.
    The agency also indicated plans to engage in additional advertising and industry outreach, as well as a vendor forum, in advance of issuing a second solicitation for bids.
    “Last week, we talked about the beauty of public-private partner relationships and the need for government to serve in a customer service role,” Owlett said. “It is incumbent upon DCNR to do all it can to facilitate a partnership that will support the state’s goals and the vendor’s goals, and most importantly to ensure this valuable recreational opportunity is realized for residents of the Northern Tier and beyond.”
    Both Causer and Owlett also stressed the importance of DCNR moving as quickly as possible on the next solicitation.
    Earlier this year, Causer noted that DCNR has committed $10 million to support implementing the park’s master plan.
    Denton Hill, which rises above U.S. Route 6 between Coudersport and Galeton, was once known for its downhill skiing and boarding. Operated as Ski Denton, the site had a remote, rustic feel and often featured shorter waits at the lift line than larger ski areas that are closer to larger population centers.
    Ski Denton also opened its slopes and trails for mountain bikers in the off season, while there is also access to cross-country ski and hiking trails. Part of the Susquehannock Trail System, an 85-mile loop hiking trail, forms the southern boundary of the 700-acre state park.
    The ski area facilities were also the site of summer and fall events.
    Skiing ended in 2014 when the concessionaire stopped operating at Denton Hill. Talks began at that time on how skiing could be brought back.

https://www.bradfordera.com/news/state-reps-wont-give-up-on-reboot-of-ski-denton-in-potter-county/article
  • The "no bidders" is telling - even with $10 million from PA the answer is no.
    I'd love to see Denton open back up. The problem is that it's in the middle of nowhere and there is better skiing in almost every direction that is closer to the population centers people would coming from. I live in PA and it is 4 hrs from house. I have a cabin in NE PA that I can stay at and it is still 2.5 hours from there. I can be at Greek Peak or Elk in less than an hour from there.
    Blue Knob is 3:45 from my house. I've skied there twice but only because I was passing nearby on a business trip.
    I grew up skiing in western PA. I've only driven by Denton. It has some nice terrain but yes it is in the middle of nowhere.
  • I suspect that trackbiker and Tom White are correct in their assumption that Denton is too far from a significant population base to make this an attractive operation for an experienced operator. It is the feeling among many Laurel Mountain enthusiasts that the only reason Seven Springs took interest in Laurel was to control their market. If an outfit like the Perfect family were to do to Laurel what they are doing to Timberline WV then Seven Springs would lose a significant portion of their market.

In fact, the political power behind getting the funding from the state for Laurel's refit was the Buncher Company, a huge real estate development firm in the region, who purchased Hidden Valley. Buncher was in negotiation with the state to operate the ski area and the bank that owned the private assets on the mountain after foreclosing on the previous concessioner. They could not reach an agreement with the state. In a surprise move the then governor Rendell released the funding and Seven Springs immediately purchase the private assets then began negotiating with the state. Buncher CO. officials were by that time disillusioned with the state and their golf resort development planned near Hidden Valley died during the great recession. Soon after Buncher sold Hidden Valley to Seven Springs.

As for Denton, I believe the only hope for them is to try to go as a community non-profit, assemble an experienced management team, and convince the state that they can make Denton viable enough to continue to operate.

As for Denton, I believe the only hope for them is to try to go as a community non-profit, assemble an experienced management team, and convince the state that they can make Denton viable enough to continue to operate.

The non-profit idea sounds like it might be the best solution. I do like that the DCNR is willing to put up $10 million to get something viable going. I'm not exactly sure how Black Mountain of Maine is operated but it would be a good idea for some local businesses to talk the them. NewEnglandSkier13 can likely enlighten us as to how they operate.