Bootfitters / Rentals Near Stratton

edited December 2023 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 267
We'll be spending the beginning of the holiday week at Stratton. We've never been. Does anyone have recommendations for a bootfitter for our 17 y.o. and a weekly rental / demo shop for others in our party (kids & adults)?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Aside from paying out the rear end for on mountain for rentals at Stratton, I've always had a good experience with Equipe Sport in Rawsonville (about 5 min from access road).
  • For bootfitting, try Starting Gate https://shopstartingate.com/. There is also an excellent bootfitter in West Dover, not too far away. Try Nick's Bootfitting, https://nicksbootfitting.com/ They are by appointment only.
  • RubyGirl is right on the $$$...
    Nick’s is one of the best. I got my old boots from him when he was at Mt. Snow. Unfortunately last year I didn’t have time to get up to his place on the emergency basis I had so I ended up getting my latest pair from another MA bootfitter (even fitted to the same shell!).
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Green Mountain Orthotics Lab, basically at the base of the Stratton Access Road.

And Nick's Boot fitting, maybe a 1/2 mile South of the South access road in the place with Snow Mountain Market and the legendary Dover Bar and Grill, are two of the best anywhere, and well worth the prior mention
  • obienick wrote: »
    Nick’s is one of the best. I got my old boots from him when he was at Mt. Snow. Unfortunately last year I didn’t have time to get up to his place on the emergency basis I had so I ended up getting my latest pair from another MA bootfitter (even fitted to the same shell!).

Would you mind sharing who you used in MA? I want my wife to get her boots fitted to her feet before we head to Jay in January. I was thinking of using Strands in Worcester as they are nearby and have always treated us well for gear purchases.

She probably has 15 days on these boots, but they can still be fitted correct? Or will most fitters only want to work with new boots? I am almost positive they were originally purchased there if that helps.
    Did/does Nick have a spot in the main lodge too?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it wrote: »

Nick no longer works out of Mount Snow Sports in the Main Base Lodge, and hasn't for a few seasons now. He is just out of his own shop now, in the plaza not too far South of the mountain across 100 from where the old Silo Restaurant and the old Cupola Shop are.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 1,331
    skelley19 wrote: »
    obienick wrote: »

Would you mind sharing who you used in MA? I want my wife to get her boots fitted to her feet before we head to Jay in January. I was thinking of using Strands in Worcester as they are nearby and have always treated us well for gear purchases.

She probably has 15 days on these boots, but they can still be fitted correct? Or will most fitters only want to work with new boots? I am almost positive they were originally purchased there if that helps.

I think as a whole, the concept that many a consumer has about how a boot fitting should be, is that the fitter should be working to fit the shell around the customers foot, not getting the customer's foot to fit inside of the shell.

So much of that starts with from moment 1, letting the fitter assess the shape of one's foot and ask and listen to the answers about one's skiing ability and what their concerns about, if any about their old boots. A good fitter, will then use that information and get their customer into the proper shell, which makes a big difference as to how the final fit and performance and comfort of the boot will be to the customer.

The people who tend to have the most issues with the fit and comfort of their boots aren't always just the people with some "crazy" foot shape, but often the ones who either by their own brand biases or from just reading online recomendations, end up with a shell that isn't the best for their own foot, and then the tweaking process becomes more extensive, which often leads to a final boot fit where there may not be as much padding (insulation) over certain areas of the boot, which are likely to become ":problem areas"
  • Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like it doesn't hurt to start with what she has but will obviously be open to new boots if the shells are way off from what work with her feet.
    DrJeff wrote: »
    ski_it wrote: »
    Nick no longer works out of Mount Snow Sports in the Main Base Lodge, and hasn't for a few seasons now. He is just out of his own shop now, in the plaza not too far South of the mountain across 100 from where the old Silo Restaurant and the old Cupola Shop are.
    Thanks. I know right where you mean. Haven't been there in a few seasons. Yes he is great. Although I gotta say getting a fitting, then skiing for the part of the day and being able to get another adjustment then go back out, was nice.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Thank you all. We just booked an appointment with Nick.
    I'm another satisfied customer's of Nick's. Community operation. Great boot fitting. Check out the new Snow's Market after your appt.
    yardsale wrote: »
    I'm another satisfied customer's of Nick's. Community operation. Great boot fitting. Check out the new Snow's Market after your appt.

Yup, the amazing looking addition (and soon to be additions when the "North" segment opens up after they're fully done moving into that almost rotunda style South addition is going to be great, especially with a much larger selection of prepared foods from Snow's Mtn Market! And that slate blue with the oak colored wood color combo looks great too!

Almost looks like 1 big plaza now from the North end of Snow's all the way down to the South end of Dbag's...

Much better appearing than those 2 vacant properties across the street, even with the few new pieces of wood and a slapped on coat of new paint on a few sections of the exterior of the old Silo Restaurant... My friends and I are convinced that the owner trying to sell it would have a better chance if they knocked it down and tried to sell that prime location as an empty lot! I sure know that my good friend who is the new Inn Keeper at the Kitzhof Inn just North of the Silo, definitely thinks that!

Nick's is great! (Had to recover from that tangent I went on there! ;) )
    We give all our good "friends" gift certificates to the Silo for the Holidays. Our best "friends" get gift certificates to the Cask & Kiln.
    yardsale wrote: »
    We give all our good "friends" gift certificates to the Silo for the Holidays. Our best "friends" get gift certificates to the Cask & Kiln.

:D :D :D :D

We give out gift certificates to The Cupola or scenic plane ride gift certificates from the Hermitage Airport! ;)