Snowmaking after the melt

in The Pit Posts: 3,584
Who's turning guns back on? List 'em here when you see 'em.

Will be a test of the "after Prez Week ski areas lose money" adage. If you are going to lose money anyway, why lose more by making snow? Yes I know: service the season's pass holders, but anyway...just curious who decides to put more down to get through the next few weeks of this junk show of a season.

Comments

Will be a test of the "after Prez Week ski areas lose money" adage. If you are going to lose money anyway, why lose more by making snow? Yes I know: service the season's pass holders, but anyway...just curious who decides to put more down to get through the next few weeks of this junk show of a season.

Most areas with big snowmaking operations have more than enough snow to get through March with just grooming (and hopefully, some contributions from mother nature).

From the half-dozen areas from whom I received direct info from friends, Prez Week crowds were good this year.
    Magic!
  • edited February 28 Posts: 3,584

Most areas with big snowmaking operations have more than enough snow to get through March with just grooming (and hopefully, some contributions from mother nature).

From the half-dozen areas from whom I received direct info from friends, Prez Week crowds were good this year.

Like I said: List places when you see guns back on. I am not asking for predictions or wishful thinking or speculation, just who's actually spending the dough to get the snow down.
    I would suspect that the places that will turn them on again (maybe Killington excluded) will be limited to those that have serious deficiencies in some of their key connecting terrain (Magic), unless you get a scenario like last week where you got a freeze up on Friday and many places made some snow for the Saturday crowds ahead of next years passes gong on sale soon.

I am with Joshua in the opinon that most of the players, inspite of Mother Nature being fickle this year often, have core terrain snowmaking base depths they are happy with.

So aside from Killington and Magic, I think it becomes a scenario based situation (Friday night freeze up) the rest of the season.

And even tonight after the front and tomorrow, the risk/reward situation for making snow (flash freeze, BIG winds, cold temps) for that 24-36hr window may not be worth it for some GM's to make the call to fire the system back up ahead of the next, longer, warm up as March begins....
    So no guns on yet.

Post when you see any on.

Not looking for posits, just evidence that areas are choosing to make snow (or not)
  • edited February 29 Posts: 1,331
    So no guns on yet.

Not looking for posits, just evidence that areas are choosing to make snow (or not)

Magic did mention in their snow report today that they ARE planning on firing up once the front passes tonight. So does that count for something? ;)
  • edited March 1 Posts: 3,584
    DrJeff wrote: »
    So no guns on yet.

Magic did mention in their snow report today that they ARE planning on firing up once the front passes tonight. So does that count for something? ;)

Not yet, but close. Need proof the guns are actually on and laying down snow.
  • Loon is stating they will fire up snowmaking once temperature drops tonight on 10+ trails. I have seen them make snow on North Peak even into March before.
  • edited February 28 Posts: 2,502
    There are bare spots on snowmaking trails appearing at Killington already. I think you're going to find anyone but the smallest players restart snowmaking tonight if they want to have a chance at reaching their target closing date. The carnage picks back up Friday for the foreseeable future.
    Loon is stating they will fire up snowmaking once temperature drops tonight on 10+ trails. I have seen them make snow on North Peak even into March before.

Email from Loon:
    We're Firing Up
    Never Done Snowmaking
    By the time you roll out of bed Thursday, our team will already be fired up. Snowmaking will be taking advantage of the drop in temps to crank up the hydrants on 10 trails on Loon Peak and North Peak. The trails included in the snowmaking plan are Rampasture, Seven Brothers, Flying Fox, Upper Picked Rock, Crosscut and more.

Overnight, the grooming team will do their best to cover open terrain. Given the dramatic 35-degree temperature drop forecasted, they will have their work cut out for them. There could be some delays on Thursday morning, and high winds may impact lift operations.

We are never done snowmaking for the season. The plan is to continue firing through late Friday morning. Spring is an important part of the season—maybe your favorite. We are here to make sure the season is the best it can be, from beginning to end.

In Michigan Caberfae Peaks, Boyne Mountain and Cannonsburg are blowing snow
  • edited February 28 Posts: 1,437
    I believe the VT’s reduced-rate on the electrical charge for snowmaking systems ends at the end of February. Places make snow this time of year to shore up thin spots on main trails/bases and for PR snow for pas sales but the snow will be expensive.

I wouldn’t expect much. I wouldn’t expect bare spots on secondary/tertiary routes to be covered. The area would just be throwing money away. This is especially true considering that most/all rental compressors are usually returned by/around now.
  • edited February 28 Posts: 2,502
    There is no blanket rate, every ski area has different usage and negotiates seperately with GMP. The other consideration besides the rate is the Demand charge. Most ski areas are going to eat the cost of this when push comes to shove and they want to stay open.
  • edited February 29 Posts: 2,502
    Killington: Guns on Caper through Lower Chute, Lower GN.
    Magic - guns on at the base, can't see where else.
    Okemo some going down low.
    Loon - some online.
    Sunday River, Mount Snow, Sugarbush, the Loaf, Stratton idle.

Wind is a serious issue right now across New England which sucks because they really could have all used this short window to resurface.

Main base of Stratton looks real ugly snow wise.
    newpylong wrote: »
    Killington: Guns on Caper through Lower Chute, Lower GN.
    Magic - guns on at the base, can't see where else.
    Okemo some going down low.
    Loon - some online.
    Sunday River, Mount Snow, Sugarbush, the Loaf, Stratton idle.

Wind is a serious issue right now across New England which sucks because they really could have all used this short window to resurface.

Main base of Stratton looks real ugly snow wise.

Maybe the inch of snow most got is enough to make it look good so no need... :*
    Jiminy is guns on per their social media feeds
    Bromley guns on per web cam
    Pat's Peak is running on a handful of trails.
  • Berkshire East has their guns on all day. They're also limiting the night skiing tonight to just the west side with no summit access.
    Blue Mt Pa blew snow last night and guns are running today.
    Sunday River has guns on per social media.
    Stratton per web cams.
    Blue Hills is blowing snow per webcam
    Not a single Epic area listed so far.
    Mount Snow had a little something going on yesterday later in the day.
  • Not a single Epic area listed so far.

Why would they? They already got your money!

Did Vail sell off Okemo? ;)

Mt Brighton in Michigan which is Vail owned made snow on Wed. night Thursday morning.
    Wachusett had them lit up last night.