Bobcat

What ever happened to this place. Decent elevation at almost 3400, and a Vertical of 1050. Looked like a hell of a place to ski, with old time twisty New Englandesque trails. Hope this place can have a rebirth. With Hunter, Windham, state run Bellearye,and even Plattekill growing in popularity I dont know if there is much room for another ski resort.
~Rich~

Comments

• We could save a lot of writing if we could only get the many Bobcat threads off of SJ 1.0
    ahhhh sorry, Josh. Never saw any. No worries then, just wondering if there were any plans.
    ~Rich~
  • This would be an awesome expansiom to crotched. Put in another high speed quad and double the terrain offering.
    I skied there once in March of 1996 after a 18" snowstorm. Having only T-bars and very limited snowmaking is what did this place in IMO.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    Its in a cool little town about as long of a drive as Plattekill from 87. It just seems alone way past Belleayre. Platty always had at least some snowmaking and finally the triple
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,852
    Lostskier said:

This would be an awesome expansion to crotched. Put in another high speed quad and double the terrain offering.

This poster is talking about Bobcat, NY (http://skikabbalah.com/lostNY/jls_adds/bobcat.htm)

Bobcat, NH (aka: Onset) IS the current Crotched Mtn.  The original CM is in Francestown and is NELSAP.
  • Oh my fault, thanks Josh

Mountain size reminds me of Bromley a little bit.
    ~Rich~
    I had the good fortune to have skied Bobcat twice in the '04/'05 season. Very old school trails but that's not what attracts skiers/riders these days so I believe '05 was the last season. There was a Friends Of Bobcat initiative around '08 and that went nowhere I guess. I was on their mailing list... It was a great small area. Hickory, NY has compareable trails...
    "I need a powder day"<br>
  • Skizix said:

I had the good fortune to have skied Bobcat twice in the '04/'05 season. Very old school trails but that's not what attracts skiers/riders these days so I believe '05 was the last season. There was a Friends Of Bobcat initiative around '08 and that went nowhere I guess. I was on their mailing list... It was a great small area. Hickory, NY has compareable trails...

Skied both.  Bobcat's terrain wasn't in the same league as Hickory.  I think ADKskier's analogy to Bromley is pretty good.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 181
    Snowball fight! :D IMHO I'd say #14, - #17 on the Bobcat trail map are akin to the Poma 2 accessed trails at Hickory. Meaning if one ski's Hickory they get a decent feel of what skiing Bobcat was like. All presuming the Northeast gets some real snowfall...

There is a Facebook page for Bobcat! Latest photo is from last season...although they were not open.
  • Skizix said:

Snowball fight! :D IMHO I'd say #14, - #17 on the Bobcat trail map are akin to the Poma 2 accessed trails at Hickory. Meaning if one ski's Hickory they get a decent feel of what skiing Bobcat was like. All presuming the Northeast gets some real snowfall...

There is a Facebook page for Bobcat! Latest photo is from last season...although they were not open.

Hopefully, we have at least one more SJer who has skied both who can tip the balance one way or the other.
    What's the status of the property?
    Bobcats t bar was 3525 in 910 vert. Not a super steep line. (chairlift.org) Plattekills t bar was 3000 ft doing 900 or so vert. Just a small comparison. I skied Bobcat twice. It steepness wasnt the challenge to the place, because it wasnt very steep. The majority of the trails running down the fall line were very narrow. That was the challenge the area offered. They were just one groomer paas wide all the way to near the base. Twisty too. Bobcat was alot smaller than Bromleys east side and not as steep. The steepest trail at Bobcat had a pitch like Bromleys Avalance or Upper Twisters headwall. As for Hickory, ive never been there.
  • newman said:

Bobcats t bar was 3525 in 910 vert. Not a super steep line. (chairlift.org) Plattekills t bar was 3000 ft doing 900 or so vert. Just a small comparison. I skied Bobcat twice. It steepness wasnt the challenge to the place, because it wasnt very steep. The majority of the trails running down the fall line were very narrow. That was the challenge the area offered. They were just one groomer paas wide all the way to near the base. Twisty too. Bobcat was alot smaller than Bromleys east side and not as steep. The steepest trail at Bobcat had a pitch like Bromleys Avalance or Upper Twisters headwall. As for Hickory, ive never been there.

Newman's recollection Bobcat ("Catskill Ski Center" when I skied there) mirrors my own.  My recollection of the upper poma at Hickory Hill was much steeper.  My agreement that Bobcat had similarities to Bromley was more about steepness rather than size (i.e. acreage).
  • newman said:

Newman's recollection Bobcat ("Catskill Ski Center" when I skied there) mirrors my own.  My recollection of the upper poma at Hickory Hill was much steeper.  My agreement that Bobcat had similarities to Bromley was more about steepness rather than size (i.e. acreage).
    Bobcat is nowhere near the steepness of Hickory. I do not even think (at its steepest) it is as steep as Plattekill's North Face or even Upper Face trails. Bobcat did have a ton of narrow,  winding trails and it had trails facing many directions. When there was a lot of snow there are 5/6 trails lookers left that faced sw that where a lot of fun. It is a shame it is closed.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 51
    I skiied there once in early 90s.   I don't remember it being steep, but it was all natural, and some nice trails.  I remember the main trail (Challenger) was a very nice run with several nice sections. Pepacton was a good run also.  It is a damn shame to see such a nice hill go NELSAP.

A couple nice posts from NYSkiBlog ...

Trail Map :

newman said:

...I definitely remember the narrowness of a few trails. Maybe they felt steeper to me because they were so narrow with ever changing fall lines, and I had a ten year period of improving my skiing before skiing Hickory...
    Some history of Bobcat here as well as other Catskill areas

http://mtownhistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/HSMBridge2014Decembersmall.pdf
  • ciscokid said:

Some history of Bobcat here as well as other Catskill areas

http://mtownhistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/HSMBridge2014Decembersmall.pdf

awesome , thanks for sharing
  • That newsletter is a gold mine of Catskill ski history:  not only Bobcat but also Tom's Tow, Highmount, Andes, Roxbury, The Colonial Inn and others.  

Thanks, ciscokid!

Woody
    Actually found that back in June when I studied for the Bearpen hike. Not much response on that Catskill history thread.

http://www.snowjournal.com/discussion/127/discussing-catskill-ski-history#latest

Always loved James style of pictured reports on the nyskiblog and was privileged to meet him at Bearpen. This was a favorite ( after the Bearpen/ Princeton Ski Bowl of course)

http://nyskiblog.com/magazine/#nabble-td1011361