Killington 2018-9

Comments

Joshua did you not ski this weekend?
    For a large combination of reasons, I missed the entire weekend :-(
    I'll cover the Saturday report for Joshua. Superstar is still top to bottom edge to edge. And REALLY deep. You couldn't see many skiers while riding the upper part of the lift unless they were hugging the far skier's left bump line. The snow pile at the top of the headwall is about 15-20' deep or so. Some skiers were hiking in and out of upper to middle Ovation and Skyelark.

Lots of frozen hard pack in between the bumps, half the trail had okay lines, half the trail was occasionally nasty and variable. Bumps were 'meh'. There were good lines to be found but not long and consistent good lines. I actually enjoyed hanging skier's right playing in the variable mounds, whereas normally I stick to the bump lines skier's left. The birch tree area skier's right at the S turn was really, really good.

Usually by the weekend before Memorial Day, a down hike or carrying skis up the lift are usually at least in sight, if not already happening. But there is so much snow at the top that the headwall will still be skiable Memorial Day weekend and I think they'll be able to cover the ground back to the lift for next weekend as well. It would take a substantial heat wave and melt down to prevent June from happening. The cold and dreary spring has certainly benefited late season at Killington.
    The ess-curve is starting to appear on the Superstar webcam. I suspect that Killington will make it to June, but I'm guessing there will be some walking required the weekend of May 31 to June 2.
    Not to shabby for late May. No walking and still 3 to 15 feet of snow. 15’ right at the top and it’s a solid dome of ice. Very windy on the top. Lots of ice but with a good edge plant it’s not much of a problem because its soft. Should be sweet all weekend and with any luck June could start with top to bottom without walking. Saw Joshua but didn’t connect for any runs.
    Remski wrote: »
    Not to shabby for late May. No walking and still 3 to 15 feet of snow. 15’ right at the top and it’s a solid dome of ice. Very windy on the top. Lots of ice but with a good edge plant it’s not much of a problem because its soft. Should be sweet all weekend and with any luck June could start with top to bottom without walking. Saw Joshua but didn’t connect for any runs.

Pretty good report! I can add that the temps remained relatively low, so the snow never got really cruddy. Marcski was also there.
    Do you guys think the top will last through the weekend? I'm planning on a few runs Monday morning.
    Youse guys are indefatigable
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Chuckstah wrote: »
    Do you guys think the top will last through the weekend? I'm planning on a few runs Monday morning.

Probably next weekend too.
    Thanks Joshua! I hope to be there next Friday and Saturday as well if my body holds up.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 1,162
    Thanks Ski _it, we’re just pursuing our passion.
    Also the construction 🚧 has begun on phase 1 of the new base lodge.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 546
    Yes, Friday was fun. I skied a long, hard day. Always a pleasure to ski with you, Joshua. I'm sorry I missed you Rem, Josh told me you were in the house.

As Remski and Josh said, we seem to have missed the sun and warmer temps of yesterday and today, but that could be a blessing in disguise as I'm sure its getting super heavy this afternoon. (Website has temps in mid 70's today).

Lots of snow for this time of year. June will happen for sure...probably with walking at the bottom and a choke point at the S-curve. But, hey, it's skiing in June in Vermont! Pretty awesome if you ask me.

It may get crowded mid-winter weekends and have other faults but, IMHO, it has really fun, expansive terrain, makes great snow and a whole heck of a lot of it, has shown to be a great supporter of ski racing by getting the WC back to the Northeast and has an amazing spring vibe...
    I love Killington.

Finally Ski_it... I admit, I'm totally and utterly addicted to skiing. Some (ask my wife) would consider it a problem. I see nothing wrong with it and have no intention of stopping. In fact, as I age (gracefully, I might add), my addiction is getting stronger and I require more ski days to satiate my mind and body.
    Looks nice this morning. Very cold tonight may offset loss due to rains Tuesday. Should hold on fine to weekend. Curious to see if s-turn melts out by then.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 743
    Looks nice this morning. Very cold tonight may offset loss due to rains Tuesday. Should hold on fine to weekend. Curious to see if s-turn melts out by then.
    The S really isn't really showing yet (relative to usual during this time of year). I think they will have top to bottom for sure next weekend. Still a bunch of snow at the top (I actually wished they had pushed more snow down the headwall for this weekend as the first pitch was getting rocky after lunch, it shows that they are committed to T2B next week if possible, otherwise they would have pushed it out this weekend). Bottom could be challenging for next weekend, maybe. They have a lot of snow to push down and out, I'd give it 75% you still won't need to take off skis to ride the lift next weekend. The most likely break in the trail is just before the rollover for the final pitch... that section is starting to squeeze with limited base to move around. If they start T2B next weekend, look for that section and the headwall to disintegrate to dirt and rocks at some point. That said, this is the most snow I've ever seen on Memorial Day weekend as long as I have been doing late season at K.
    May 31, 2019 - Fri.
    Today was my last day of the 2018-9 season. It was continuous t2b all day - although one had to be careful on the headwall after noon: rocks were showing. Similar at the area where the ess-curve used to appear.

I expect that June 1 will be a zoo. As it was, there were about 100 people in line for the lift when they opened at 9AM today.

I am disappointed that they chose to pull the plug this weekend. I am used to my last day at Killington being "some walking required". I do not think there is enough snow to keep the headwall skiable by June 7 to 9 - and I don't think there is enough to push to get to the lift, but I do think they have been open with far less snow. The late season crowd will turf it or hike between snow patches.
    Diminishing returns after 6/1, both in marketing value / beast prowess and revenue.
    newpylong wrote: »
    Diminishing returns after 6/1, both in marketing value / beast prowess and revenue.

Nonsense.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 2,512
    Says someone who thinks everyone should get into the spring game, because there's plenty to go around... forgive me if you can hear me chuckle over here. :)
  • I'm hoping to visit Sunday, but it looks like the weather may not cooperate. I may be finding leftover park features to ski this month.
    - Sam
    newpylong wrote: »
    Says someone who thinks everyone should get into the spring game, because there's plenty to go around... forgive me if you can hear me chuckle over here. :)

I figured Killington would be empty yesterday both being a Friday and with anyone who wanted to say they skied in June and to get their T-shirt waiting until today (June 1). The place was hopping and they were making money.

History shows Killington being open in the past as late as June 22. What's more, it costs Killington almost nothing to stay open. It's not like other areas that shut down for the summer. They have the staff there already with their summer attractions open.

Chuckle away newpylong, while NES13, remski, marcski, I and others, continue to enjoy the 2018-9 season.
    Quite the line for shirts this morning

dnmaw6jfl2rk.png
    They opened a half-hour late. There were people there yesterday who were going to be in line at 7AM to make sure they got their T-shirt. The line when they opened extended the entire snow-bridge (about half a football field long) with a couple of switch backs onto the bottom of the trail. I would have liked a t-shirt, but I suspect I did better being there yesterday!

I estimate a 20 minute line which as of 8:40 is getting longer, being fed by both new arrivals and skiers finishing their runs. Aside to newpylong: are you watching as Killington "loses its shirt" :D
    I’m just wishing I was there. They could have had my $30. Too much family stuff going on. There’s a whole lot more snow this year then when I skied June 1 there a few years ago.
    May 31, 2019 - Fri.
    I am disappointed that they chose to pull the plug this weekend. I am used to my last day at Killington being "some walking required". I do not think there is enough snow to keep the headwall skiable by June 7 to 9 - and I don't think there is enough to push to get to the lift, but I do think they have been open with far less snow. The late season crowd will turf it or hike between snow patches.

I've skied there 3 times on June 1. Two were off the Peak double (from mid-station), once on Super Star. All required "some walking". It's good to see they're back into the late season game.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,811
    My son just finished a run about one hour ago. We were getting some sun at the umbrella bar. He was about 60 in line and got a t-shirt. Probably close to 1000 people here. The line for lift tickets was out the door of the ski shop/Lodge at 7:15am.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    Superstar lift is ski on access as we leave at 10:45am.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    Aside to newpylong: are you watching as Killington "loses its shirt" :D

Certainly not what I said... and I am here today.

I’m sitting by the fire pit in a brown Brundage ski T-shirt. Come and say great day.
    Superstar TTB at 11am on 6/1/19

xn4b96toh8ww.jpg
    I didn't ski this time and my last June skiing at Killington was in 1994.
    di83m61re6x1.jpg
    lzvt5dazzinj.jpg