Vail is just okay..but not great.. they do install new lifts

edited December 2023 in Operations/Management Posts: 549
Post all things great about Vail here. Positive comments about Vail do not belong in the Vail Sucks Thread.

Comments

Vail proper in CO is a fantastic ski area.
  • Vail can take credit for sending some great Wildcat skiers over to Cannon this season. It's nice to have them.
  • Cannonball wrote: »
    Vail can take credit for sending some great Wildcat skiers over to Cannon this season. It's nice to have them.

I'm sure Pat's Peak is enjoying the Crotched skiers so far!
    - Sam
  • Cannonball wrote: »
    Vail can take credit for sending some great Wildcat skiers over to Cannon this season. It's nice to have them.

Have any SJers skied at Pats this season to give us a report. I passed it on the way to Sunapee and I was underwhelmed with what I saw.
    I was picking a snowmobile up down there this week. For terrain, everything off the East side off the top. One off the West and one off the Valley.

More importantly they're open and Crotched isn't.
  • I want to congratulate Vail in helping skiers & riders to realize how great the independent ski areas are. I'm sure Ikon is also very appreciative for the extra business they're sending their way too!
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 1,439
    I heard a local town (Gorham?) is happy with their move away from WC for training.
    Cannonball wrote: »

Have any SJers skied at Pats this season to give us a report. I passed it on the way to Sunapee and I was underwhelmed with what I saw.

I can !! I was actually there this Friday on my indy pass. They had 5 different ways down from the top and 2 more in the terrain park area plus both magic carpets learning areas. Coverage was very good on what was open with a variety of snow conditions from frozen , hard packed and spring like snow in the sun.
    A bunch of rails and jumps in the park. I had a good afternoon out
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 317
    I was at Pats today. The 4" of fresh snow helped a lot and made the place look like a winter wonderland with the wind blowing the fresh snow around. They do have essentially 7 runs open right now. They were making snow on Downdraft, FIS race trail, and in the Cascade Basin area, plus some random fan guns over open terrain. By Xmas they should be 75%-80% open. Spent the majority of the day doing laps on the quick Vortex Double. Place was packed with families, Crotched definitely missing out today. Everyone was happy, lift lines weren't too bad as they had 5 chairs running. Peak and Hurricane 5-10 minutes, Vortex was near ski on all day. I love the family friendly vibe of Pats, plenty of ambassadors helping out. With the snowmaking going on, daytime grooming happening on unopened terrain, plenty of lifties at every lift, and the ambassadors all around the base area, Pats doesn't seem to have a staff shortage. Pats is the type of place I love to support.

• xlr8r wrote: »
    I was at Pats today. The 4" of fresh snow helped a lot and made the place look like a winter wonderland with the wind blowing the fresh snow around. They do have essentially 7 runs open right now. They were making snow on Downdraft, FIS race trail, and in the Cascade Basin area, plus some random fan guns over open terrain. By Xmas they should be 75%-80% open. Spent the majority of the day doing laps on the quick Vortex Double. Place was packed with families, Crotched definitely missing out today. Everyone was happy, lift lines weren't too bad as they had 5 chairs running. Peak and Hurricane 5-10 minutes, Vortex was near ski on all day. I love the family friendly vibe of Pats, plenty of ambassadors helping out. With the snowmaking going on, daytime grooming happening on unopened terrain, plenty of lifties at every lift, and the ambassadors all around the base area, Pats doesn't seem to have a staff shortage. Pats is the type of place I love to support.
    I love Pat’s Peak. They really do a great job there! Thanks for the report!

When everyone else was spending big $ on lifts, Blomback (their GM) was spending it on snowmaking snowmaking and then more after that. The acreage they can open quick shows it... that and just running the place well.
    Pats Peak is the only place I have ever seen someone ski naked. I was around 12 years old. It was not a woman. He skied past me near the bottom. A get away car was waiting for said skier. He left his skis behind. He had a blue toboggan hat on and that was it. Being 12, I chuckled but didn't think much of it at the time. My brother said " he must go to New England College"
    yardsale wrote: »
    Pats Peak is the only place I have ever seen someone ski naked. I was around 12 years old. It was not a woman. He skied past me near the bottom. A get away car was waiting for said skier. He left his skis behind. He had a blue toboggan hat on and that was it. Being 12, I chuckled but didn't think much of it at the time. My brother said " he must go to New England College"

Streak skiing
    ciscokid wrote: »

Streak skiing

Maybe streak skiing should make a come back. Ski down a Vail Resort slope naked - make sure you are in the paid parking lot for the quick get-a-away because that shuttle bus is not assisting with your exit.
    ciscokid wrote: »

Streak skiing

Maybe streak skiing should make a come back. Ski down a Vail Resort slope naked - make sure you are in the paid parking lot for the quick get-a-away because that shuttle bus is not assisting with your exit.

Shane McConkey received a lifetime ban from Vail for doing a backflip naked during a mogul comp.
    IDK how this turned into a Pats (was/are there 2 Pats?) Peak thread, but I'll add - 12/17 Pats Peak, NH is NOT requiring Indy Pass reservations at this time. Subject to change.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    We'll see how the week goes but it looks like Vail did a good job of selling this week. This afternoon, Mount Snow wasn't busy, per se, but for 3:30 on a non holiday Monday in December, it was bustling. And a glance at @epicliftlines shows a mobbed Breckenridge and others.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 2,512
    Yah he changed a business alright. Managed to commodotize an industry that was previously well run for the most part and now more resembles going to Walmart than skiing. 👏 👏
    Two-thirds of resorts are still independent.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 978
    Industrywide Change Pros:
    Lower season pass prices
    Multi-mountain passes great for wanderers / trips out west
    Stimulating demand thanks to lower pass prices
    Capital improvements focus on ski experience instead of real estate

Industrywide Change Cons:
    Extreme day ticket prices
    Casual/new skiers excluded by price unless they are fortunate to live near a local hill
    More/higher fees like paid parking

Vail Resorts Cons not widely adopted in rest of industry:
    Downsizing and outsourcing many resort management/IT/customer service/operations to central office
    Greatly downsizing communications
    Mountains lose individual identities/cultures

Remains to be seen:
    ...if "staffing shortages" are really stemming from the other cons above and will be fixed eventually, or if barebones budgets for non-destination resorts are part of the strategy that deserves another bullet.
    Things seem to be going pretty well at Mount Snow today. Lots of international kids, so plenty of staff at the lifts at least. Didn't go inside anywhere.

Not a bad amount of terrain open considering the lousy weather.
  • conrad wrote: »
    Industrywide Change Pros:
    Lower season pass prices
    Multi-mountain passes great for wanderers / trips out west
    Stimulating demand thanks to lower pass prices
    Capital improvements focus on ski experience instead of real estate

Industrywide Change Cons:
    Extreme day ticket prices
    Casual/new skiers excluded by price unless they are fortunate to live near a local hill
    More/higher fees like paid parking

Vail Resorts Cons not widely adapted in rest of industry:
    Downsizing and outsourcing many resort management/IT/customer service/operations to central office
    Greatly downsizing communications
    Mountains lose individual identities/cultures

Remains to be seen:
    ...if "staffing shortages" are really stemming from the other cons above and will be fixed eventually, or if barebones budgets for non-destination resorts are part of the strategy that deserves another bullet.

For Cons I would add the "Ford / Chevy" problem;
    You either ski Epic OR you ski Ikon in a given season.
    Or neither.

Or neither.[/quote]

Bingo
    I'll give Vail some credit for running both North Face lifts a lot longer than Peak did (so far). They only closed Outpost about 10 min before Challenger today, and there was almost nobody skiing over there. Was also pleased with the lift line management, especially the singles lines (note:I have not been on the bubble in weeks, so not sure about the line management there).

Would be nice if they could send some of the staff over to Crotched to help on on the slower days at MS. Probably be tricky with the 2 different state thing.
    Finally some good news. $2/hour bonus for all employees who finish out the season.
    https://www.kpcw.org/featured/2022-01-10/vail-ceo-announces-raises-for-employees
    conrad wrote: »
    Finally some good news. $2/hour bonus for all employees who finish out the season.
    https://www.kpcw.org/featured/2022-01-10/vail-ceo-announces-raises-for-employees

$1K more might keep people on, which this probably averages out to... seems a little late but better than nothing
  • Stratton actually seems less crowded with everyone now over at Mt Snow.
    Most of this thread has been sarcasm, but this is a real, "Vail nails it":

One of my pet peeves about being a snowsports instructor was:
    1. The Director (or his surrogate) expected you to be there when you signed up.
    2. The Director (or his surrogate) expected you to show up 10-minutes before classes started wearing your parka (i.e uniform).
    3. If you were not assigned a lesson, you had change out of the parka before free skiing.

All in all: A day could blow by; the instructor has committed 2-hours of "work time", and received no pay.

Vail pays instructors for line-ups as well as for time to change into and out of the instructor uniform.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 5,489
    Most of this thread has been sarcasm, but this is a real, "Vail nails it":

One of my pet peeves about being a snowsports instructor was:
    1. The Director (or his surrogate) expected you to be there when you signed up.
    2. The Director (or his surrogate) expected you to show up 10-minutes before classes started wearing your parka (i.e uniform).
    3. If you were not assigned a lesson, you had change out of the parka before free skiing.

All in all: A day could blow by; the instructor has committed 2-hours of "work time", and received no pay.

Vail pays instructors for line-ups as well as for time to change into and out of the instructor uniform.

At Bradford where I previously worked, you were not paid for lineups, but you could wear your uniform whenever you'd like. At BMOM we pay for lineups and instructors can wear their uniforms whenever they'd like. At Bradford, instructors were required to buy their uniform. At BMOM, instructors can borrow a uniform, or purchase their own personalized one.
    - Sam