2023-2024 Closing Thread

Comments

McIntyre is closing Sunday, 3 weeks early. It made the local NH news tonight.
    Black NH looks to be closing Sunday. Yesterday the report said one final day next Saturday, but that's been removed.
    Skiway is closing this weekend.
    Tenney is not done yet.... opening tomorrow!
    Killington snow report says snowmaking tonight on Superstar and Skylark.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
  • Yesterday (3/9) was Spruce Mountain's last day.
    - Sam
    sugarloaf wrote: »
    Ski Sundown is open again with 100% of there terrain. I wonder if they are the only ones with all trails open in New England.

King Pine is still 100% open per their website.

I can believe it. More importantly. The lack of interest. Very few people out on the trails per the webcam.
    You were watching me, the Missus and JD.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Ski Sundown is open again with 100% of there terrain. I wonder if they are the only ones with all trails open in New England.

King Pine is still 100% open per their website.

Sugarbush back to 100% open. Likely just a day or two but still good to see
  • Tomorrow will be Hermon Mountain's last day of the season.
    - Sam
    Otis Ridge has thrown in the towel for the year

Ski Ward is officially done but this is close to their typical close date the past few years. the main slope is still fully covered edge to edge and skiers right of the lift is still uninterrupted top to bottom but not quite full width. I should have grabbed a pic when I drove by this AM. Tons of snow still in the tubing park. If they wanted to stay open they could, so obviously the decision is mostly based on the financials rather than lack of snow. unlike many other southern mountains such as Nashoba which looks very interrupted top to bottom from what you could see from 495 as of Sunday.
    Crotched Mountain officially declared Mar. 24 as the last day of its season. As best as I can tell, it's for lack of skiers - not lack of snow. While CM has 2 1/2 of its 25 trails closed, all could be re-opened if management wanted to push around a little snow.
  • edited March 12 Posts: 2,512
    The 24th is still a ways off to know what the snow situation will be then. Another rough week in store.
    Mount Southington is done for the Season.
    Crotched Mountain officially declared Mar. 24 as the last day of its season. As best as I can tell, it's for lack of skiers - not lack of snow. While CM has 2 1/2 of its 25 trails closed, all could be re-opened if management wanted to push around a little snow.
    I was a bit surprised by the lack of skiers at MRG on Sunday. Granted, many left before the power came back on. But I don't think the parking lot was every more than 2/3 full, at most (maybe less). Probably more skiers on Monday for the two-day total.

But... for a Sunday storm day in early March, that is wild and shows that many skiers have already checked out... especially those that have not seen snow in their backyard for a month or more.

Hopefully, the northern areas with more snow will still go the distance. Cannon is still below 50% of their annual average. Only NoVT got enough from the recent storm to make a significant impact on the next month or two.
    Very light crowds at Magic and Bromley. Too light. I heard Stratton was busy Sunday morning.
  • Abram is closing this Sunday.
    - Sam
  • edited March 14 Posts: 1,811
    Mohawk is closed for the season.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
  • edited March 14 Posts: 1,811
    Ski Sundown doesn't have a closing date. Next week is forecast to be cold. At least for the first half. If there open midweek. I might try to get a adaptive skiing lesson. I need frozen snow for the brake to work.
    Butternut is closing tomorrow.
    Ski Sundown is opened through 3/24. I'm going to try to get a lesson on 3/22.
    Has madpatrick started his reports yet? If so, does someone have a URL for his blog?
    Saskedena 6 done after today.
    Has madpatrick started his reports yet? If so, does someone have a URL for his blog?
    https://madpatski.wordpress.com/

Last year, he started his closing posts during the last week of March.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 3,602
    Mighty Oak Mt, NY calling it a season today. One week early :'(

Update: Opening for pond-skimming on Saturday. I don't think lifts will run, though
  • BMOM & King Pine are closing on the 24th.
    - Sam
    Blue Hills is closed and Tenney’s last day was today. I skied Waterville Saturday and today and there was still plenty to ski
    skied Mt Abrams both Sat and Sun afternoons. I was good coverage on Sat and Sun and even skied a couple of natural trails. Nice vibe for both days, but sunday was definitely after the am showers. Learned to ski here 40 years and ago, and was happy to give them some$ support.
    riverc0il wrote: »
    https://madpatski.wordpress.com/

Last year, he started his closing posts during the last week of March.

I generally start the closing thread prior to the 1st weekend in April. That being said, I definitely expect a lower of number still open as I start the weekly blog posts.

For example, in my part of the World (I live in Ottawa):
    Vorlage closed March 10 a few weeks earlier that normal.
    Pakenham closed March 17.
    Cascades, March 31
    Edelweiss, open this weekend - TBD weekend only
    Ste-Marie, open Fri-Sun - TBD Fri-Sun only
    Calabogie, TBD
    Fortune, TBD
    Mont Chilly never opened this season.

<span style="color: rgb(7, 133, 176); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><a href="https://madpatski.wordpress.com">Ski Mad World</a></span><br style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography</span>
    Quietman wrote: »
    skied Mt Abrams both Sat and Sun afternoons. I was good coverage on Sat and Sun and even skied a couple of natural trails. Nice vibe for both days, but sunday was definitely after the am showers. Learned to ski here 40 years and ago, and was happy to give them some$ support.

Hey that's cool. I was there for a birthday party at the west base and made a few turns Saturday. It got a bit sticky in the afternoon, I think I needed klister :D

• Jiminy made the decision to close today after this storm brought them heavy rain.
    - Sam