Lift removal

SO while riding up Heaven's Gate today during its last few hours, my chairmates and I (all very squished; that chair is too small for 3 adult males) were curious about a few things:

-How much does a haul cable weigh for a lift og that length? 3900', triple chair
-Order of operations: first chairs, then lower tension and drop cable using lifting frame on towers, then cut it and spool up, remove towers and terminals, blast and pour new footings, reverse operation until you cut the ribbon in the fall?

A lot of heavy things being moved around, high up on the mountain in any case.

Skiing was really nice

6oxdvb265t9z.png
tn4f7g69m1wa.png

Comments

• edited April 1 Posts: 353
    A few answers and a few questions- Haul rope for a triple is probably 1 3/8'-1 1/2' diameter so 3900' X2 will weigh about 25,000-30,000 lbs. The basic removal process is correct, but the devil is in the details.
    The best way to remove the haul rope is de-tension the lift, leave the cable on the sheaves, splice a small wire rope in to one end so you can control the speed of the rope with a braking device at all times and hook the other end to the pulling spool. (Laying the rope on the ground, probably snow covered in some places, is a recipe for losing control when you cut it or start pulling.)
    Do you plan to save the lift or any of the equipment?
    LiftGuy wrote: »
    A few answers and a few questions- Haul rope for a triple is probably 1 3/8'-1 1/2' diameter so 3900' X2 will weigh about 25,000-30,000 lbs. The basic removal process is correct, but the devil is in the details.
    The best way to remove the haul rope is de-tension the lift, leave the cable on the sheaves, splice a small wire rope in to one end so you can control the speed of the rope with a braking device at all times and hook the other end to the pulling spool. (Laying the rope on the ground, probably snow covered in some places, is a recipe for losing control when you cut it or start pulling.)
    Do you plan to save the lift or any of the equipment?

Thanks. I don't know what they plan on doing with the lift. It's 40 years old. I imagine chairs can be used on North Lynx, but beyond that I don't know