ORDA Upgrades

edited April 17 in Operations/Management Posts: 986
Whiteface upgrades this offseason include the Upgrading of towers and footings below mid-station and replacement of the Little Whiteface double chairs with newer fixed chairs. Also Interesting is there is no mention of the ground breaking of the base lodge at North Creek, but an upgraded gondola system with all new cabins. Most every area is focusing on snowmaking upgrades.

https://www.pressrepublican.com/news/orda-board-oks-26m-for-venue-updates/article_16b943aa-fc32-11ee-a908-136717fe0636.html
~Rich~

Comments

They're doing a lot more than just replace the chairs it looks like. The entire lift will be replaced save the upper towers which Dopp already replaced. They said relocating the new lower towers so they aren't as much an obstacle to racing. One has to presume the Mountain Top is coming out. If they're going through the trouble of doing all of this it seems extremely short sighted to not go up to a Triple at least. Go fewer chairs if capacity is a a concern.
  • edited April 18 Posts: 1,099
    And no mention of the Ski Bowl HSQ at Gore either, yet a few skiers have told me that they are already prepping the area. So that's an interesting omission, though, it's possible that these are newly approved upgrades, and the HSQ was already approved last year.
    NELSAP wrote: »
    And no mention of the Ski Bowl HSQ at Gore either, yet a few skiers have told me that they are already prepping the area. So that's an interesting omission, though, it's possible that these are newly approved upgrades, and the HSQ was already approved last year.

The Gore detach was funded and contracted in 2023 but ORDA delayed it to this year and construction is starting now. The Little Whiteface double was put out to bid this spring for 2024 but Doppelmayr was the only bidder with a very high number. ORDA put it back out to bid for 2025 hoping for some competition and lower pricing. That one definitely won't be installed this year.
    Is the Ski Bowl detach going to take the new lift line lookers right as indicated in planning documents or just follow present day 46er?
    I have heard still to lookers right, but one never knows. The terrain above the current unload is rather flat. It wouldn't add all that much, except some easier access to potential additional terrain to the north that has been approved.
  • edited April 21 Posts: 1,099
    Yesterday after skiing at Gore I took a drive over to the Ski Bowl for a first-hand look at the progress for next year's improvements. There is already a lot of work done/started so everything looks on track. That press release discussed in this thread should have at least mentioned next year's pre-approved projects as it made it sound like they weren't happening.

First, the base around the Village Chair and the soon to be removed Hudson Chair is now fenced off:

71l7aglatg7l.jpg

The site for the new lodge is mostly cleared out, about 200' NNE of the base of the Village Chair. This is where the old yurt used to be. Right side of photo.

f9jdzox2dtbr.jpg

Here's a view of the Village Chair, with the site for the new lodge behind it:

pbig3u9r20a3.jpg

The chairs have been removed from the Hudson Chair:

buqjbv784vbj.jpg

Looking up the Hudson Chair line:

xjhhdqxjmxxn.jpg

The Hudson Chair chairs are now in the turnaround near the base of the lift. I would imagine they'll be going to McCauley soon.

4ov1bejykdip.jpg

There is no sign yet of work to clear a new lift line.

This is exciting to see. Can't wait to next season!
    That's gonna be pretty awesome. Thanks
  • edited April 22 Posts: 986
    Awesome thanks Jer!
    ~Rich~
    What I don't know is where additional parking is going to go in at the Ski Bowl. There's not a whole lot there at the moment, but there is potential where there are the gravel pits, the area behind the new lodge being built if graded, etc.
    Per this rendering, it doesn't look like the new chairlift will have a significant re-alignment as compared to the Hudson Chair. This also shows the Village Chair getting extended at some point too.

yf74b64ug1on.jpg

Where is that from? That makes more sense. The previous rendering I saw had it angled off to the right on a new line and extending up a bit, which seemed like a whole lot of work for little return?
    And this image shows the new HSQ as not having a major re-alignment either. The new lodge is depicted.

g6smazetj7u2.jpg
  • edited April 22 Posts: 986
    The UMP has the ski bowl quad being extended further up. I don't think they would deviate.
    ~Rich~
  • edited April 22 Posts: 2,512
    Is there any evidence of a survey cut and/or stakes for a new lift line? If not then it's either a) going to be the same alignment or b) not happening this off-season.
    I couldn't see any survey signs/cuts, but that area was either blocked off or would have been a bit of a hike around it. The lift is definitely going in though, as the old lift is being dissembled.
  • edited April 22 Posts: 471
    Here is the proposed lift location. According to the UMP map, there is a new lift line.

lpbdrcmy4xeu.png
    The UMP does show the relocation, yet the image on their 2024-2025 improvement page doesn't show the deviation, so there is a contradiction. Assuming we will find out soon one way or another as construction proceeds.
    I'm guessing that green contraption with the lifeless body is the "zip coaster"?

yikes
    rickbolger wrote: »
    I'm guessing that green contraption with the lifeless body is the "zip coaster"?

yikes

:D
    ~Rich~
    The UMP does show the relocation, yet the image on their 2024-2025 improvement page doesn't show the deviation, so there is a contradiction. Assuming we will find out soon one way or another as construction proceeds.

Maybe the land didn't get reclassified? It says requested so assuming if it did not then they would not be able to expand into that area.
    ~Rich~
    im excited about lift 14 which i believe was another approved gondola to connect ski bowl and gore base.
    ~Rich~
    ADKskier wrote: »
    im excited about lift 14 which i believe was another approved gondola to connect ski bowl and gore base.

That lift would be such a game changer...avoiding Pipeline. It could also be used for summer activities too to connect both areas. It would be 9000' or more in length. Unfortunately, I doubt it will ever come to fruition.
    I wonder if they are repurposing the yurt. Great lunch place.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Would kinda be neat to see it at the bottom of the North Quad.

Heard back from ORDA. The New Quad will replace the existing line and will not be extended. The Triple is currently being delivered to McCauley.

hwfhpz56ydu3.jpg
    wma1qiu3tano.jpg
    2s4mtjfns0z1.png

~Rich~
    Thanks for checking! I wonder why they changed their minds.
  • edited May 6 Posts: 2,512
    Someone probably realized how silly it was for little ROI. They just put in all that new fixed gear on 46er and Moxham on the current trails. Still haven't made snow on Hudson either despite having the ability too.
    Im guessing they never reclassified the expandable area as intensive use. So it stays forever wild. The connection of little Gore and Burnt is sketchy at best. A lot of polling involved. I would rather they try to regrade areas.
    ~Rich~
  • edited May 9 Posts: 986
    Lets not mention Foxman and his grand plans that have never came to fruition.
    ~Rich~