Waterville dec 3 powder

edited December 2016 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 37
Great day!!   2000 continuous vert open it snowed all day 8 trails but really only one route...majority of the surface was powder/ packed powder ...there was a power outage at 130,  diesel evacuation, I was stuck on lift 15- maybe 20 min, turned out it was the whole town that was out

Comments

• Cool. Very nice shot of the western side of Green Peak.  Too bad on the over sized width of  trails, but still lookin good.

There is also a pretty sweet, recent, photo as the background here...

• edited December 2016 Posts: 4,668
    So after the power went out was skiing done for the day?
    Oh no BBTSers on the slopes!! Seriously the snow looks nice. Maybe we should all get some snappy club jackets so that we can recognize each other?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Not sure if power came back or not i left right away it was going  to be my  last run regardless .        .................    Also. Does any one know if that is that a lost ski area to the right of green peak in the photo? I noticed this when I enlarged the photo.
  • Snows Mountain... it should have a page on NELSAP. I think WV runs the lift for mountain biking during the summer, not used for snowsports currently to the best of my knowledge.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 5,479

Not sure if power came back or not i left right away it was going  to be my  last run regardless .        .................    Also. Does any one know if that is that a lost ski area to the right of green peak in the photo? I noticed this when I enlarged the photo.

riverc0il said:

Snows Mountain... it should have a page on NELSAP. I think WV runs the lift for mountain biking during the summer, not used for snowsports currently to the best of my knowledge.

Here's my trip report from Snows Mountain: http://snowjournal.com/discussion/790/snow-s-mountain-7-23-2016#latest
    - Sam
  • Not sure if power came back or not i left right away it was going  to be my  last run regardless .        .................    Also. Does any one know if that is that a lost ski area to the right of green peak in the photo? I noticed this when I enlarged the photo.

riverc0il said:

Snows Mountain... it should have a page on NELSAP. I think WV runs the lift for mountain biking during the summer, not used for snowsports currently to the best of my knowledge.

Here's my trip report from Snows Mountain: http://snowjournal.com/discussion/790/snow-s-mountain-7-23-2016#latest
    Now I see what you're talking about to the right of Green Peak. I don't believe that is a lost area, but I could easily be wrong.
    - Sam
  • Now I see what you're talking about to the right of Green Peak. I don't believe that is a lost area, but I could easily be wrong.

Might be a logging operation. The only other area locations in the area would be Campton (open) and Tenney (soon to be reopened). No other lost areas would be visible from Waterville that I am aware of.

That is logging.  There are some massive swaths at lower elevations in the Hardy Brook drainage, that is one of them. I have bushwhacked near there. IMO, A further Green Peak expansion down the east side , in this area, to Rt 49 would be stellar.  WV's vertical would be extended to 2600'.  The terrain would be mainly intermediate with some nice opportunities for advanced and novice.  Thoughts?  Has this been done as a design challenge?

IMO, A further Green Peak expansion down the east side , in this area, to Rt 49 would be stellar.  WV's vertical would be extended to 2600'.  The terrain would be mainly intermediate with some nice opportunities for advanced and novice.  Thoughts?  Has this been done as a design challenge?

Hi Bubblecuffer, I have that in my file! I didn't go all the way down to the river as that is all southern exposure. I covered the east face of Green Mountain (el. 3536), two excellent trail pods with 1600-1700 vertical feet and intermediate-expert terrain, plus a blue trail down from the Tecumseh summit, and a lift back to Green Peak.

My plan for the original Tecumseh area has something very similar to the Green Peak area, and replaces both the North and High Country doubles with one triple, adding two expert trails.

• mapnut said:

Hi Bubblecuffer, I have that in my file! I didn't go all the way down to the river as that is all southern exposure. I covered the east face of Green Mountain (el. 3536), two excellent trail pods with 1600-1700 vertical feet and intermediate-expert terrain, plus a blue trail down from the Tecumseh summit, and a lift back to Green Peak.

My plan for the original Tecumseh area has something very similar to the Green Peak area, and replaces both the North and High Country doubles with one triple, adding two expert trails.

Care to share?  I'll take a stab at whipping one up based on my observations.  I don't think I'd design anything in Hardy Brook since I doubt the approvals to develop there would ever happen.  I do believe the peak directly to the east of the new "Green Peak" trails is fair game and it is realistic to think it could someday have trails on the north and east sides.

I agree that the Hardy basin is unlikely, but if you do a plan I'll put up mine. I've seen renderings for a full development of Green Peak, with a gondola from the village..

mapnut said:

Care to share?  I'll take a stab at whipping one up based on my observations.  I don't think I'd design anything in Hardy Brook since I doubt the approvals to develop there would ever happen.  I do believe the peak directly to the east of the new "Green Peak" trails is fair game and it is realistic to think it could someday have trails on the north and east sides.

It's on their wish list. No attempt to get permits yet.

That's all eastern exposure, by the way.
  • Mine's better.  Stay tuned.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 312
    Here is my take on WV expansion. I tossed the whole current Green Peak development in favor of something more enticing. I tried to be mindful that Hardy Basin is precious and should never be developed.  It should be assumed that both new base areas have substantial parking yet humble base facilities.  I also made a point to make it so you can more easily ski to/from your car at the current WV base...this seems to be an annoying shortcoming with the current resort. I didn't mark the trails for ability but I think it is obvious from the contours what that might be.
    Green Peak lift rope and comm. cable are up and tensioned so it won't be long that the grand opening will be announced.
    That's one resort desperately in need of expansion....glad it is moving forward.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 1,162
    Wow wow wow! Waterville Valley is really coming on strong this season. Skied there 1/28 and was I ever impressed. Not always one of my favorite ski venues in the pass mostly because of the poor snow surface conditions that most of the times I visited were hard and icy. Not so this season. Two visits in early this season the snow surfaces were very decent for so early in the season and that impressed me but thought it was a fluke until yesterday. The conditions are outstanding with perfect pkpd over all the open terrain the kind that you set your edge and don't worry about it sliding out. Great grooming job you guys!
    Joshua this is for you all their glades (and there are quit a few) are open and skiing very well with a nice solid base but edgeble with 2-3" of powder to smooth the ride. Some trails had moguls but the best part of my day was skiing the pod of trails around the North Double Chair they are of the old NE type trail, narrow with double fall lines and that V profile and they even debrushed the lift line and wow what a sweet bump run that is. Only one more trail to open and that is Lower Bobby's run and snowmaking started on it last night. I can't remember the last time that snow was made on that trail.
    All in all a great day probably the best so far this season for me out of 16, so get up there while it's so excellent I don't think you'll be disappointed, I'll surely make a return trip.
    The Green Peak is coming along but they have a hiccup to contend to. The splice didn't pass inspection so it has to be redone and that's getting done real soon. The new trails that are open on Green Peak are sweet cruisers fast and wide open.
    Remi:

The only glades I remember at WV were an intermediate one on skier's left on the Valley Run and between Bobby's and True Grit on the Sunnyside.  Where have they added glades.
    ---
    I haven't had much to do with WV since I skied there (not with an instructor comp) and panned them on SnowJournal.  At the time, one of their instructors knew me and his management called my ski school director to complain.  My policy is: If I am comped, I will only give a review if it is positive.  If I'm not comped, I will also give a negative review when it is warranted!
    Trail map has them all delineated with an evergreen tree.

Snowmaking is done at Waterville and they are now 100% open.
  • My policy is: If I am comped, I will only give a review if it is positive.  If I'm not comped, I will also give a negative review when it is warranted!
    Do you disclose in your reports if you are comped or not?  ;)
  • riverc0il said:

My policy is: If I am comped, I will only give a review if it is positive.  If I'm not comped, I will also give a negative review when it is warranted!
    Do you disclose in your reports if you are comped or not?  ;)
    If it's a good report, it doesn't matter - and if it's a bad report - now you know!