Killington 5/7/2017

Yesterday I wrapped up my season at Killington on Superstar. When lifts opened at 8:00 the upper half was in the clouds. By midday the clouds had cleared off, but it began raining on and off. Temperatures were in the 40s throughout most of the day. It was not groomed and the moguls started pretty firm, but softened up in a few hours. There wasn't too much of a crowd, except for a few hours between 11:00 and 1:00. Base depths seemed similar to last year on the upper half, but the lower half seemed like it had significantly more snow than it did this time last year. At this point I give it a 50% chance of making it until June.

K-1 and SnowdenimageSuperstarimageBase AreaimageSuperstarimageBase AreaimageSuperstar ExpressimageSuperstarimageSuperstarimageSuperstarimageSnow in Trees Along the Edge of SuperstarimageSuperstarimageSuperstar and Superstar ExpressimageSuperstarimageSuperstarimageSuperstarimageSuperstarimageSuperstarimageSuperstarimageSuperstar and Superstar Expressimage
- Sam

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 2,962
    Awesome!  Looks like a lot of snow!  You're thinking 50/50 chance of June, that's the million dollar question -- cool spell will help
    A+!
    Nice!  Thanks.  Just inspired me to make the trip up.  Just need a cool sunny day!
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 5,479
    Here's a video of the upper part of Superstar. It was shaky and I tried to stabilize it, but it didn't work too well.

- Sam

Here's a video of the upper part of Superstar. It was shaken and I tried to stabilize it, but it didn't work too well.

Worked well!
    Boy you must be in good shape and a good bumper.
    Thanks

At least the snow ain't yella ⛷⛷⛷⛷
    NE skier, if you saw a Tele skier on the chairlift edge of the snow skiing around10: till 10:45 with green boots and Atomic skis that was me.
  • Remski said:

NE skier, if you saw a Tele skier on the chairlift edge of the snow skiing around10: till 10:45 with green boots and Atomic skis that was me.

I do recall seeing you then. You must have been the one skiing right along the rope. I had red, white, & blue K2 Four Rs, green Lange boots, and a red jacket.
    - Sam
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 745
    Remski said:

Crispis?
    Crispis
    The only reason Superstar lasted so long this year was because the World Cup race was held there on Thanksgiving weekend and they blew a ton of snow on it and injected it.
    njskibabe said:

The only reason Superstar lasted so long this year was because the World Cup race was held there on Thanksgiving weekend and they blew a ton of snow on it and injected it.

That's simply not true. There have been many years I have rode Superstar into late May and into Early June. Also from other discussions it was said that they didn't inject as there were many freeze/thaw events during the early season snowmaking.
    njskibabe said:

Incorrect

• edited May 2017 Posts: 1,435
    The blew far more snow on Superstar in March alone than in October/November for the WC races.

Superstar lasts this long because they blew a 30' tall glacier, like they do EVERY year.
    njskibabe said:

I'll echo those saying that is not the case. They opened Memorial Day weekend last year without blowing for the WC. They have a bit more snow this year but that is because we've had a very cool spring and not many sunny days (excepting two blow torch days, but that happens at least once a spring most years). For the last few years, they have blown with intent for late May.
    What does the phrase injected mean? Snowmax or Drift?
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 1,435
    For racing course prep, often officials inject water into the snow to make it denser so it holds up better (and ruts less). Here is a video from Lake Louise officials.  There is a better one put out by Loveland officials where you can actually see the process.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFlmmdj-1fY

Basically it's a 10' or so PVC pipe with holes in the bottom connected to the snowmaking system.  You open a valve momentarily and water shoots out the holes into the snow. Slide down the hill half a foot and repeat.