Which area is this? (Catskills)

About ten years ago I got lost driving home from belleayre. I passed a ski area, I think chairs were still up but it was clearly closed. I thought to look it up on google earth and found it. Im either really bad at the internet or its not listed on nelsap or other sites. Anyone have any idea on what hill this was?

Comments

Not Bearpen that's for sure

This has been a discussion before- just can't place the name
  • The layout looks vaguely like the old Grossinger's Ski Area.
  • Its not Grossingers as that is visible from Rte 17 and this is nowhere near it. I thought it might be Scotch Valley at first but the trail layout is completely different.
    This area was talked about here. I also can't remember the name. Looked like a good area with some steeps. At least one chair from what I can recall from the sj. talks on it. It wasn't open when I started skiing the Catskills in the late 80s or I would of most likely tried it.
    Davos?
    near or in Neversink....I could swear I've seen that town name on either Nelsap or the lost NY site (skikabbalah)
  • Holiday Mountain

https://holidaymtn.com

Holiday Mountain

Slick Willy , where's the trip reports from Kmart, okemo, Stratton w Rick and the jersey boys?
    Not holiday or Davos. Was bigger.
    It's an area that never opened, nor had lifts. On Blue Hill near the hamlet of Willowemoc, and Blue Hill may have been its intended name. The long side is gentle and the short side is steep; both have about 600 vertical feet. Really in the middle of nowhere; if Bobcat couldn't draw people, this place never had a chance.
  • mapnut said:

It's an area that never opened, nor had lifts. On Blue Hill near the hamlet of Willowemoc, and Blue Hill may have been its intended name. The long side is gentle and the short side is steep; both have about 600 vertical feet. Really in the middle of nowhere; if Bobcat couldn't draw people, this place never had a chance.

Well I'll be danged.  

I worked a summer just down the road from there at DeBruce Environmental Education Camp, run by the NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation.  That never-opened ski area sure is in the middle of nowhere.  Never knew about it when I was at camp in 1974.  Can anybody resurrect the history of this place?  And you can still see that chairs!?!

Thanks, rgrwilco and mapnut!

Woody
    ciscokid said:

Speaking of; what ever came of that story last year of someone reopening Bearpen Mtn for winter activities?
    NJSki said:

ciscokid said:

Speaking of; what ever came of that story last year of someone reopening Bearpen Mtn for winter activities?
    New thread by Woody
    mapnut said:

I think this is what we concluded about a dozen years ago on SJ 1.0
  • Holiday Mountain

Holiday Mt is visible from Rte. 17 on the south side of the highway just outside Monticello. The summit of one of their floating bullwheel Poma double chairs is right there alongside the highway. Never forget the first time I saw it in the late seventies. I thought it was one of the coolest lift set ups I’d ever seen! I’ve even seen it in use during the winter. You can clearly see the bullwheel wobble as skiers disembark and the swaying chair spins around it.
    Neversink Ski Resort   -- Developer was Moshe Mayer, Marcent Development Corporation.

• Agree that it is Neversink. Check 41.922229N, 74.637394W.  You'll see RGRWilco's photo (although his shows south at the top of the photo.)  I'll add it to the LostNY site.
  • Agree that it is Neversink. Check 41.922229N, 74.637394W.  You'll see RGRWilco's photo (although his shows south at the top of the photo.)  I'll add it to the LostNY site.

Ill be in the area within the next few weeks and Ill grab some photos.
    My parents had a summer place nearby (NE of Livingston Manor) when I was young.    In the early 70's at the traffic light on Quickway 17 and Parksville there was a billboard "Ski Arrowhead, 2 chairlifts".  We looked for it but could never find it.  
  • rgrwilco said:

Agree that it is Neversink. Check 41.922229N, 74.637394W.  You'll see RGRWilco's photo (although his shows south at the top of the photo.)  I'll add it to the LostNY site.

RGRW, I'll look forward to the photos, and to knowing what can be seen from the road.  I like to drive that diagonal back road thru the Catskills when I have the time.
    rgrwilco said:

Agree that it is Neversink. Check 41.922229N, 74.637394W.  You'll see RGRWilco's photo (although his shows south at the top of the photo.)  I'll add it to the LostNY site.

I went searching for this area about 10 years ago. Nothing was visible from the street, not even a road or path. Attempted to hike a hill to the north and look over from a field but weather was foggy.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • Five years ago I promised photos…life and job changes got in the way.

I have a touring setup, and based on recent aerial photos the trails are still clear. I don’t see any posted signs on google street view, but does anyone know if this area is posted? I found a zoning map showing this area as “rural conservation”

If the winter is ends up being a good one, I would love to skin up for a run or two and get some photos/video as I once promised.
    That would be fun and I agree, someone is mowing those old slopes.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 4,667
    Figures, I was 20 minutes from there back on the 4th. Not sure I'd head up there now without my gun loaded with double-aught....
    There's fishing access right across the street. See Map 6 Willowemoc Creek/Fir Brook Public Fishing Maps
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • There is an articlle in the 10/10/1970 NY Times about Mr Mayer and the development company trying to get the town of Neversink to allow the sale of beer and Alcohol. The town had been dry since prohibition.

From the article

Ski Area Planned

Aligned against the wet options are several local groups, including members of a local Methodist Church; favoring two of the options are the officers of the Mar cent Development Company, Inc. of 200 Park Avenue, New York City, a concern that has purchased 4,500 acres on Slawson Mountain at Willowemoc, 12 miles from here, for a multimillion dollar ski project.

Maintaining that they can not operate successfully without these options, the land developers have asked the town for the right to sell alcoholic beverages in the projected ski area under ho tel and restaurant licenses. The concern, headed by Moshe Mayer, an Israeli development expert, has announced that it plans an investment of about $5 million in the first phase of the ski area.

Mr. Mayer and his family run 50 companies and founded the Israeli Export Bank, which has provided the base for his Worldwide oper ations. In Monrovia, Liberia, he built the city's first sky scraper, the city hall, the Ducor International Hotel and the Executive Mansion. He also built the tourist cen ter Ivorie in the Ivory Coast Republic's City of Abidjan.

The Neversink project is the, first Mr. Mayer's concern has undertaken in the United States.
    What is the date of those images?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it wrote: »
    What is the date of those images?

looks like 2023 on the first one?