Ciscokid guess this area 1/6/18 SNOW BOWL NJ

edited January 2018 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 5,277

Comments

• edited January 2018 Posts: 203
    Where did you get that map?  Classic.   I know it but will let others guess.  I had a map at one time with all the expansion plans etc,  but long gone.  When someone else gets it we can discuss the situation and follies that took place.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Take it back, not where I thought it was at first.  Lodge very different, very similar layout though.  
    Must be the Irish Hills Sports Park
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Dutchess NY?
    No Clue
    I love the guesses so far
    No
  • OK, I'm guessing that this ski area is not in the East.  It looks like the artist was trying to make a ridge in the Midwest look like a peak in VT or NY.

Just a gut feeling.

Woody
    I should edit my answer again and say my first impression was correct.  Will discuss when someone gets it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

• edited January 2018 Posts: 5,277
    Ok Alex knows it but is patient, thanks

Definitely east , not Midwest but artist rendering is way off reality
    Ok to confuse things a bit more guess where this beauty rests, a toughy image
  • Looks like Snow Bowl in NJ.
  • The maps looks 70' s to me, but doesn't have the modern green blue black color code. Canada?
    Gunstock?

Looks like Snow Bowl in NJ.

I agree. Likely the same artist that did the old Vernon Valley map

Looks like Snow Bowl in NJ.

Yup mucho embellishment of map, didn't know they had future plans, don't think I read about that on Ricks skiernet/ bum and Liz the nj skibabe didnt mention it iirc

Now for extra credit tell me about the Madison square garden unit, I'll tell you where I saw it

Ok Alex discuss
    Where the internet sucked me in
    Our first gathering for a SJ hike 9/07

9/http://www.gondyline.com/snow-bowl.php
    Those early Borvig chairs were wierd styleingimage
    Schweig_1 said:

Gunstock?

I love it, 400' vert lost Snow Bowl being compared to Gunstock
    ski_it said:

Where is Irish Hills?
    Ok what tricked me at first was the small area below the t-bar in front of the lodge.  Don't remember those ever being in play.  I had previously seen an expansion plan that they had with the chairs to the left of the summit chair. Also the bottom terminal to the summit chair was to the left of the lodge (over by the parking for the Jefferson High School) not in front of the lodge

The big folly is the County of Morris.  There was a time when they were considering reopening Snow Bowl and running it like Bergen County runs Campgaw.  It was at a time when golf was at the pinnacle of its popularity.  The county wanted land for a golf course in conjunction with reopening the ski area.  Well that land was eventually purchased over off of Berkshire Valley road and a golf course built there with the ski area plans abandoned.  The sad thing is golf (like skiing) has fallen on harder times.  That course that they built has since been sold and is no longer in the county system.

It is an interesting rendering of the ski area and land around it.  Not sure where that rocky knob on the right side of the picture is.  That is part of the Dickenson-Mahon Reservation.  There is a trail to an overlook in that area but it would be further to the right then depicted.  One can see a part of Lake Hopatcong from that overlook.  

Its really a shame as Snow Bowl was a decent hill.  It probably would have faired much better with todays modern snow making equipment and grooming.  Unfortunately we will probably never know.  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    I like the photo of the portable SMI 320. Hidden Valley opened as Snowbowl was closing. They had the chair in the picture, plus still had some of those inside chairs pictured in the lodge. Hidden was a bit bigger, but a bit further away. It always seemed to struggle with finance issues. So would of Snowbowl been able to survive? IMHO, I think it could be a place that could turn a profit and get the investment return on just a county run tubing park.
    newman said:

I like the photo of the portable SMI 320. Hidden Valley opened as Snowbowl was closing. They had the chair in the picture, plus still had some of those inside chairs pictured in the lodge. Hidden was a bit bigger, but a bit further away. It always seemed to struggle with finance issues. So would of Snowbowl been able to survive? IMHO, I think it could be a place that could turn a profit and get the investment return on just a county run tubing park.

Well certainly skiing is a endangered species in New Jersey.  I have to admit, I was surprised that in the fairly affluent community area we live in there are so few skiers.  The local schools here basically voted out the old presidents week break (down to a day either side of the weekend) because most people around here don't do anything but shop in the winter. 

Hidden Valley suffered from its original business plans (private weekends) and its proximity to Mountain Creek (aka Vernon Valley/Great George).  I think Snow Bowl may have had a fighting chance as its closer to the 80 corridor.  Craigmeur lasted for a while and it was certainly much smaller then SB.  Things like tubing, zip lines etc hadn't been dreamed up when Snow Bowl went down. Have watched Camelback and their success with the summer waterpark and adventure park and how it keeps things going year round.  Can only imagine if they could have had the foresight to get into to those things then.  In my own selfish mind, what an addition to the Lake Hopatcong, area that would have been. 

Going to be talking about Pocono/Skylands skiing very soon, stay tuned.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ 

ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

Where is Irish Hills?
    Michigan
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

Where is Irish Hills?
    Michigan
    Ok yea I've been by there route 12 but never saw ski hill or remnants
    90 ft vert st Lawrence lift
    Quite the attraction back in the day

Skiit how did you hear of Irish hills?

ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

Where is Irish Hills?
    There is a not so great 9 hole golf course there now. You can kind of see how the clubhouse used to be a ski lodge. In the summer I go by there very often on my way to a lake at a friends house. I will take some pics next summer.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 622