Ski Ward & Nashoba Valley Patch Skiing 4/22/2018

edited April 2018 in Trip Reports Posts: 5,483
I decided to take advantage of the excellent weather today and ski whatever was left at Ward and Nashoba.

First stop was Ward. The only significant patches left were on White Out, but were almost top-to-bottom, with only two gaps. The lower patch extended about 2/3 the way up, with two smaller patches above it. East Bowl also had a small patch, but I did not ski it. I took two runs on White Out on frozen granular snow which had begun to loosen up.

Next up was Nashoba. By then the sun had turned much of the frozen granular into spring corn. My first run was on a medium-sized patch which was the remains of the terrain park. It looks like it will soon become three separate patches, because of two very thin areas. Then I did a run on a patch near the end of Indian Run, which was not as fun due to less pitch. I skied two more runs on the terrain park patch before heading to a patch in front of the lodge on Bull Run. This patch was the smallest that I skied, with one gap that could be easily crossed without losing speed. I skied that patch twice before leaving.

White Out PatchimageWhite Out PatchimageSummit Area at WardimageT-Bar at WardimageWhite Out PatchimageNashoba ValleyimageTerrain Park PatchimageTerrain Park PatchimageIndian Run PatchimageBull Run PatchimageBull Run Patchimage
- Sam

Comments

Nice job.  The last time I tried skiing Nashoba after close I got kicked out by a not so nice worker after having done it many times before.Said I was trespassing.  I will never give them any business going forward. Crotched is my go to now, and not too much further for me.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 5,483
    Chuckstah said:

Nice job.  The last time I tried skiing Nashoba after close I got kicked out by a not so nice worker after having done it many times before.Said I was trespassing.  I will never give them any business going forward. Crotched is my go to now, and not too much further for me.

I've had no issues walking around/skiing there offseason. It's not posted, there's no gate, and there were other people out today walking dogs and such.
    - Sam
    Ya, I had no issue for years. Just the one time, but after that incident, I don't feel welcome there and won't return.
    Thanks for the pics. I worked at Ward. The trail White Out we always referred to as Racing Trail. The first one he opens. Was anyone else walking around? The owner John always asked people to get off the property when he saw them.
  • newman said:

Thanks for the pics. I worked at Ward. The trail White Out we always referred to as Racing Trail. The first one he opens. Was anyone else walking around? The owner John always asked people to get off the property when he saw them.

I didn't see anyone else there. I did look around for someone to ask if it was alright, but I couldn't find anyone. The hill wasn't posted, so I took a few runs.
    - Sam
    Who would you say had more snow overall?
  • newman said:

Who would you say had more snow overall?

I would say that Ward did. Besides being almost T2B on White Out, there were a few other small patches, notably on East Bowl. The three patches at Nashoba was pretty much all that was left, except for a few tiny patches in the shade.
    - Sam
    Admire your dedication!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 1,811
    Im not sure how far Otis Ridge is for you but they probably have alot more snow.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
  • sugarloaf said:

Im not sure how far Otis Ridge is for you but they probably have alot more snow.

I'm sure they do, but that's almost three hours away for me.
    - Sam
    Nashoba will shoo you away. They are strict on that [when people are around].
    Ski Sundown is close by, but they don't allow hiking.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    NewEnglandSkier13, I'm sure you know that at Wachusett they allow climbing. The ski area owns the equipment, but it's all on state land and open to the public. A sign (actually, a couple of them) warn that the area is closed, there is no ski patrol and you can proceed at your own risk.
    On Saturday I saw three people skinning up and skiing down. One skier said he did all three summit trails(Conifer,10th Mountain and Smith-Walton) T2B. The guy obviously is in good shape.
    Monday there was a lot of ground showing, but it looked like there still were ways, with careful route-picking, to do T2B. And Challenger and Look Mom had considerable amounts of cover.
    According to a ski area employee, they are planning for a rail jam in Vickery Bowl for the first weekend in May. So have at it!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 1,811
    At this point it looks like a hike to rail jam without lift service in Vickery Bowl like in 2015.
  • Bill29 said:

NewEnglandSkier13, I'm sure you know that at Wachusett they allow climbing. The ski area owns the equipment, but it's all on state land and open to the public. A sign (actually, a couple of them) warn that the area is closed, there is no ski patrol and you can proceed at your own risk.
    On Saturday I saw three people skinning up and skiing down. One skier said he did all three summit trails(Conifer,10th Mountain and Smith-Walton) T2B. The guy obviously is in good shape.
    Monday there was a lot of ground showing, but it looked like there still were ways, with careful route-picking, to do T2B. And Challenger and Look Mom had considerable amounts of cover.
    According to a ski area employee, they are planning for a rail jam in Vickery Bowl for the first weekend in May. So have at it!

That probably would've been a better option with only a little more driving.
    - Sam
    I hiked Wachusett again yesterday.  It is melting quick and I am sure today's rain is going to do a number on it.  We came up the hiking trail next to Ralph's and cut over at the road most of the way up as we could see lots of grass if we kept going up.  we dropped into Hitchcok at the road and had a nice ride until the intersection with the Vickery Bowl trails.  Had to unstrap there and either walk about 100 feet to more snow to continue the rest of the way down Hitchcock or a little further over the Vickery trails.  We went to the Vickery trails both times and were able to ride to the base but there are quite a few bare spots to dodge.  My buddy was there Monday and did not have to unstrap at all when doing that same route.  From the parking lot the 3 summit trails looked to have more snow and are likely still T2B with some thin spots on the headwall.  I may try to get one more hike in later this week but I am guessing it will be pretty patchy at that point.