2023-2024 Closing Thread

With this sustained terrible weather, it looks like it's time to start the closing thread.

I'll start off with the closings in Maine so far, some of which have already been closed for a few weeks:
- Baker Mountain (February 4)
- Mount Jefferson (February 19)
- Big Moose (February 25)

Pinnacle and Powderhouse Hill also never opened at all this year.
- Sam

Comments

• edited February 29 Posts: 2,502
    Storrs Hill (3/3)
    Whaleback won't be far behind. In true recent fashion they made plenty of snow on the race trail but not from the chair unload down to it.
    Whaleback closed their chair today as expected. Plenty of snow below the top but they didn't make any up there at all. Makes no sense. Shortest season on record for the chair.
    Quoggy Jo closed February 25.
    - Sam
    Nashoba Valley hasn’t opened since the midweek rains. I don’t know what their plan is going forward?
    I was at Black, NH yesterday. It isn't pretty. There were several ways down from the triple and even a glade or 2 but really thin. They're closed Mon-Fri this week, planning to reopen for next weekend, but it may be a stretch. Fun nonetheless. omp6lfax87t6.png
    Titus closing midweek to preserve snow for big event weekend. Didn’t say this weekend is it but without help……
    Looks like Bradford may be done as of 3/4.
    - Sam
    Ski Ward hinted at being almost done on social media. Said something like beautiful Sunday of spring skiing and may be our last. Their website shows closed today, open tomorrow and then closed W,TH with Fri-Sun listed at TBD.
    Bradford is officially closed for the season today 3/6. It was a tough year. We opened about a week late and then closed a week early. Along the way there were mechanical problems with two chairlifts and the third one for the terrain park never opened. Also an electrical motor for a conveyor lift had to be replaced. I don't think any of this was due to deferred maintenance, just bad luck. Good thing we had the old Mueller T bar to the top.

Finally last week, a groomer skidded of the side of a trail on ice and ended up in the woods wrapped around a few trees. It is salvageable but they will likely wait for the snow on the trail to melt.

Snow. Not much. There was only one significant natural snowfall, about 18 inches, but it was gone in a week and a half. Also snowmaking opportunities were limited and that's why the terrain park never opened. The lack of natural snow and limited efficient snowmaking conditions must have contributed to higher operating costs.

Regardless, the ski school was very busy. We had one weekend in February when 4 week programs overlapped that we taught an estimated 700 people. There probably was more.

Looking forward to next year. Could it be worse?
    Nashoba closed as of 2/25. Earliest closing in recent history per NewEnglandSkiHistory.Com. They had the snow just the weather end of February and early March not cooperating.
    Kayaker wrote: »
    Bradford is officially closed for the season today 3/6. It was a tough year. We opened about a week late and then closed a week early. Along the way there were mechanical problems with two chairlifts and the third one for the terrain park never opened. Also an electrical motor for a conveyor lift had to be replaced. I don't think any of this was due to deferred maintenance, just bad luck. Good thing we had the old Mueller T bar to the top.

Finally last week, a groomer skidded of the side of a trail on ice and ended up in the woods wrapped around a few trees. It is salvageable but they will likely wait for the snow on the trail to melt.

Snow. Not much. There was only one significant natural snowfall, about 18 inches, but it was gone in a week and a half. Also snowmaking opportunities were limited and that's why the terrain park never opened. The lack of natural snow and limited efficient snowmaking conditions must have contributed to higher operating costs.

Regardless, the ski school was very busy. We had one weekend in February when 4 week programs overlapped that we taught an estimated 700 people. There probably was more.

Looking forward to next year. Could it be worse?

How many seasons in a row has Evvy's Double Nickel not operated at Bradford?
    - Sam
    Thus week is going to hurt....rain today and tomorrow, only light freeze Thur-Sat nights. Will be many closures as well as terrain loss.

Horrible start to the month, with no end in sight: https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/
  • edited March 6 Posts: 151

How many seasons in a row has Evvy's Double Nickel not operated at Bradford?

This is the thrid or fourth year it hasn't operated. It is the newest chairlift and has the least amount of hours on it. The workhorse Wasp and Hornet chairs have a lot of hours on them.

Yawgoo Valley has closed for the season.
  • 210 wrote: »
    Yawgoo Valley has closed for the season.

Not a surprise! With the winter we've had it's amazing they even opened. This is by far the worst winter I can remember.
    Quechee has called it. It was on the list this year but I never made it..
    Ski Sundown has been closed since Monday night. They will reopen on Friday. They were supposed to have a adaptive skiing get together today. But it was rescheduled for this Saturday. I'm not going as it's supposed to be near 50F and I need frozen snow to brake the Sno Cart.

They have a mogul competition scheduled for 3/16. I'm not sure they will make it. My last day was 2/25.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
  • edited March 7 Posts: 85
    Camden snowbowl has closed.
    FlyingZ wrote: »

Wow, that's 4 weeks earlier than normal.
    - Sam
    FlyingZ wrote: »

Wow, that's 4 weeks earlier than normal.

March is the new April this year
    Here in Connecticut, nobody is currently opened. Ski Sundown, Mohawk, Powder Ridge and Mount Southington are reopening tomorrow.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
  • edited March 7 Posts: 4,671
    Waterville
    Tomorrow will be a "Save the Snow Day". We are suspending all alpine ski area operations tomorrow, Thursday, March 7th. We plan to resume alpine ski area operations on Friday, March 8th. ..... (then some of the report sounds like its April 1st already) ....
    A substantial "fully mature" snowstorm is forecasted to hit Waterville this Sunday & Monday. ......... As for expected snow totals, some may say it's too early to tell. Others, like President and General Manager Tim Smith, are predicting snow totals upwards of 45 inches (Please note: Tim Smith is not a meteorologist. He is, however, a big believer in manifestation).

Read the report.

King Pine closed is Thursday, March 7, and will reopen tomorrow, Friday, March 8 at 10:00am.
    And Wildcat too.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it wrote: »

King Pine closed is Thursday, March 7, and will reopen tomorrow, Friday, March 8 at 10:00am.
    And Wildcat too.

And Cannon
    Titcomb is now closed for the season.
    - Sam
    Ski Sundown is open again with 100% of there terrain. I wonder if they are the only ones with all trails open in New England.
    sugarloaf wrote: »
    Ski Sundown is open again with 100% of there terrain. I wonder if they are the only ones with all trails open in New England.

100% snowmaking is a great thing to have! They have a great setup there, terrain-wise.

100% snowmaking is a great thing to have! They have a great setup there, terrain-wise.

It's actually pretty descent looking on there webcam. No bare spots that I can see. It's kinda ironic that they haven't made snow since late January. Usually it's ongoing into early Spring.

As of 2/25 they had a huge stockpile of snow behind the base lodge. Probably 15' tall. And 30' wide.

They have a mogul competition scheduled for 3/16. Next week is forecast to be in the 60's here. Not sure they will make it.

King Pine is still 100% open per their website.

King Pine is still 100% open per their website.

I can believe it. More importantly. The lack of interest. Very few people out on the trails per the webcam.
    Tenney closing day is tomorrow (3/9) Eclipse only.