Where did I just ski?

45 minutes ago....very fun. Skied under the lift- still pow to be had 2 days after storm... in NE
 :D image

Comments

I'm gonna guess somewhere in the other New England
    Ny
    Either Loon or outside of NE.  
    nope and nope. NE= New England
  • Wildcat?
    - Sam
    not WIldcat, but pretty wild
  • Burke?
    - Sam
    No, but like Burke, this lift closes after today but much of the rest of the area is staying open.
  • Sugarbush?
    - Sam
    Yep! Name the lift for extra points.
  • Green Mountain Express?
    - Sam
    Nope...
    Slidebrook?
    Yep. close to 1100' of mid-level pitch, great coverage except for one 15-yd bony section. 2 trips over it let me scout out all I needed. Runout was sticky but well worth it.

Yep. close to 1100' of mid-level pitch, great coverage except for one 15-yd bony section. 2 trips over it let me scout out all I needed. Runout was sticky but well worth it.

Nice, I was next door at MRG.  Great day, but I hear you on the sticky stuff down low.
    The nice thing about this stretch is that it faces dead north- snow was heavy but relatively dry under the chair. Runout was pure glop.

Fun effect of skiing down with people riding the lift along with you... 
    Aren't bears active by now? I wouldn't venture there if the bears are awake.
    obienick said:

If I followed that logic, I would never be able to leave my house!
    D'oh! Missed this one! You're close to where we saw a lot of moose action a couple of years back, including some pretty wild mating action down in the hollow just beyond where it crosses lower FIS. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    Lotso any more pictures and if you please put Sugarbush in the title and date it's up to you of course just helps look back on a good memory of where you were and others can see the great time you had and when

I didn't know did not know that slide to Brooke was a skiable trail you learn something every day hey we have seen moose on ski areas why not a bear
    I thought the original intent was to not allow skiing under there without a guide?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

obienick said:

If I followed that logic, I would never be able to leave my house!
    Are they having bear hunts again in NJ Rick?
    They had it for a few years then I heard it was stopped with all the animal rights activists, maybe I should call babe and get her and Donna out in W. Milford and get one for the lodge at the "new" Hidden V.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 2,972
    ciscokid said:

Are they having bear hunts again in NJ Rick? 

Yes. The state spends a fortune on managing bears. The hunt is one part of the program. We have a lot of bear fanatics who protest etc. They think northern NJ is old growth forest and that the bears were always here.

State sets traps (big containers that look like odd dumpsters) to capture nuisance bears, one guy in Vernon is so upset about that he tries to spring the traps and he's gotten himself stuck in the traps a couple times.

We got another kook who comes out during the hunt wearing a jacket says WOUNDED BEAR RESCUE. (I would love to see him aid a wounded bear)

We got a nutty old man here in Sparta who got so upset when the three bears showed up on his deck he shot them dead, prosecutor besieged by the anti-hunters so he's trying to put him in jail.

We got crazy people from Bergen county who move here, they feed and photograph and talk to bears like they're Yogi and Boo Boo.

We got "I Love NJ Bears" bumper stickers. We got "I Love Tasty NJ Bears" bumper stickers.

My father in law (84 yrs old) gets so upset when the bears go after his bird feeders, he goes out with a garden hose/sprayer and stands toe-to-toe with a giant bear.

I got bears in my driveway, bears in my back yard, bears in my neighbor's garbage. Personally I think we need more than just a hunt. They're like raccoons only bigger, and they need to be eradicated from suburbia. But people watch too much Disney and they think bears are cuddly mascots. When one of the state's tagged or radio collared bears gets hit by a car they treat it like a damn crime scene. Nuts.

Sorry for the hijack. Cisco's fault!!!

;)
    Best thing I ever saw on TV was some show about deer hunting in CT in suburban areas to control population. One hunter requested to put up a stand in a nice home's back yard and the woman railed on him for literally five minutes about how the deer were their pets, and how much they loved seeing them and how he was barbaric and cruel. At the end she asked:
    "Now, do you have anything else to say to me?"

"Do you want some venison?" 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    bmwskier said:

"Do you want some venison?" 

That's funny!  Guarantee she was wearing leather shoes.
    Or gloves. When my Dad, whose name was Hunter, brought home a deer he would send the hide to a leatherworks place. They would make most of it into a jacket and send back a nice pair of gloves no charge.
    That's good Rick yeah I take the blame funny thing is when I was in Yellowstone last summer the Buffalo were rolling in the Dustin kicking their hooves up and just start all over the place and they were people maybe 50 feet from them which I thought they were nuts but as soon as one gets killed then it'll change
    Tatanka
    I myself did not get out of the car but the people are acting like complete idiots did not have a clue how close they were to danger

Then there was the ride on the icefield parkway in the Canadian Rockies were you know there something going on with a bunch of cars pull over to the side of the road and of course there was a huge black bear that made me look like a midget people again or within 50 feet of this thing not knowing that if this beastwant some flesh they were sitting ducks
    Chuckstah said:

Nice, I was next door at MRG.  Great day, but I hear you on the sticky stuff down low.

Chuck did I miss your trip report to mad River?
    ciscokid said:

Chuckstah said:

Chuck did I miss your trip report to mad River?
    I'll try to post a short one, too busy skiing!
    ciscokid said:

Lotso any more pictures and if you please put Sugarbush in the title and date it's up to you of course just helps look back on a good memory of where you were and others can see the great time you had and when

I didn't know did not know that slide to Brooke was a skiable trail you learn something every day hey we have seen moose on ski areas why not a bear

Will do in a few. Not many from that tour. Slide Brook has always been wide open, no guides required. Essentially everything on the face behind North Lynx is open- I have always headed left (west) off of NL and then dropped in- this was my first time venturing east, and there is far more vertical that way. There are designated 'powder chutes' that open up to the east of the lift line and empty on to the runout down to the bus pickup on German Flats, though the bus is done for the season. My guess is with the heat in the next 2 days North Lynx and therefore Slide Brook will be too.
    another where did I just ski picture: