Closing Dates 2017

Comments

I got the impression that Peak's closure policy this year consisted of don't close until the customers stop coming and the snow is going too fast to fix. The 'real skiers', the ones that come out this time of year have apparently moved over to Wildcat & judging by the Webcam today (Tuesday) the snow is going fast at Attitash, so like Crotched it was probably time to go.

This  note was on Hunter's Website:  all you Peak Passholders out there, you can use your pass at our sister resorts that remain open, including Mount Snow (through April 16th) and Wildcat (through mid-May)! Traveler Passholders, remember that includes you too, even on weekends, through the remainder of the 2016-17 Season!

Peak loves to get the season passes out there early & are being as nice as possible to get folks on board..

The early season pass rates expire the end of this month, $99.00 locks in your price for the coming year. The $299 Traveler is a real favorite of many of my Senior friends who are retired.  

Time to move to Wildcat....
  • I skied Wachusett on the 9th,  It was very nice, empty, and surprising how many of the "between" trails that were open.  I actually skied through a small wooded section between Conifer and Balance Rock and it couldn't have been nicer.  No question they probably *could* open next weekend, its just a matter of whether anyone would show up.  Likely not.
    bubblecuffer, someone involved with Wachusett said Monday that, if the snow holds, they might run a lift in May, the way the area did a couple of years ago. But with record 80-degree temps Tuesday, that's probably wishful thinking.BTW, how long did you ski last Sunday, and did the snow firm up the night before? I know that on Friday and Saturday the skiing was pretty good, according to some of the people there. But there weren't very many skiers. Despite the slow start, I understand it was a pretty good season for WAWA.

jaytrem said:

Pretty good crowd at Wildcat today. Not many kids though.

Probably because school vacation is next week down here in the flatlands.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 168
    obienick said:

I too get 92.

I guess I did the total before the final draft. Thanks for pointing that out.
    <span style="color: rgb(7, 133, 176); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><a href="https://madpatski.wordpress.com">Ski Mad World</a></span><br style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography</span>
    MadPatSki said:

obienick said:

I too get 92.

I figured you were counting in metric.
    jaytrem said:

MadPatSki said:

obienick said:

I too get 92.

I figured you were counting in metric.
    LOL

53 Eastern ski areas tentatively open on Easter weekend.

QC: 28
    VT: 8
    NH: 6
    NY: 3
    ME, NB & NL: 2 each
    ON & NS: 1 each
    <span style="color: rgb(7, 133, 176); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><a href="https://madpatski.wordpress.com">Ski Mad World</a></span><br style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography</span>
  • I skied Wachusett on the 9th,  It was very nice, empty, and surprising how many of the "between" trails that were open.  I actually skied through a small wooded section between Conifer and Balance Rock and it couldn't have been nicer.  No question they probably *could* open next weekend, its just a matter of whether anyone would show up.  Likely not.

Bill29, I skied at Wachu from 1:00-3:30 and there were only probably 200 skiers, tops.  I don't think it was frozen at all, even in the morning.  The summit temperature was 55 degrees!

There were tons of people partying outside at the base lodge, most were not in ski attire.  They had live entertainment, a BBQ, and a bar set up.  It was quite nice.

What I want to know is who will be open on Monday 4/17?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_it said:

Bretton Woods will have tickets for $17.76 and they'll give you a voucher to ski early season next year.
    - Sam
    ski_it said:

Agreed.  Right now I'm leaning towards Killington or Stowe that day, but if Wildcat is open that is an option as well.

I know Bretton Woods does the 17.76 deal that day.

Wildcat,  "We still have our eyes on May. Daily operations plan to continue through Sunday, April 23rd, after which, we plan to be open weekends as long as weather permits."

But IIRC they have not been open the last 2 or 3 Patriots Days. 

ski_it said:

Bretton Woods will have tickets for $17.76 and they'll give you a voucher to ski early season next year.

I can afford that

Will the tbar still be open?
  • ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

I can afford that

Will the tbar still be open?

The T-bar is closed for the season because it accesses a large glade complex.
    - Sam
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 1,417
    There was plenty of snow to run the t-bar when I was there this past Monday, but as NES13 said it is closed for the season. imageimageimage
    Sugarbush will be open too.
    But was it open Chuckstah ? I've never seen it open late. Do they still run it off a generator?
    No, the t-bar is closed, and yes, it still running on the generator.
    Directly from a draft version of my next blog post (of course, it doesn't include what is open tomorrow, Easter Monday and Patriots Day). Here is the ones that are saying "Daily" during this week.

Current very preliminary draft version has potentially 21 ski areas still tentative for next weekend.

Sutton - daily for the moment
    Stowe – April 23 (daily)
    Sugarbush – April 30 May 1? (daily until April 23)
    Jay – May 7 (daily)
    Killington - June (daily until April 30 then Fri-Sun only)
    Wildcat – May (tentative - daily until April 23)
    Sugarloaf - TBD (daily)
    Mad pat, curious about the mad, for MRG?
    Thanks for your updates
    Yesterday put a hurt on a lot of terrain... will be close for some to get through the weekend.
    ciscokid said:

Mad pat, curious about the mad, for MRG?
    Thanks for your updates

Nope, Mad as in crazy.
    Mt. Wachusett has plowed up a 30-foot-high pile of snow on Challenger, near the bottom. The talk was that they may try to spread it out and open a lift in early May. Temps are supposed to be cool for a while. There were some people climbing to earn turns on the long weekend. I'm sure that those who want to climb and ski will be able to do that into early May.There are large patches of snow left, especially on Conifer, which is covered to greater or lesser extent for about three-quarters of its length. Yesterday, Patriot's Day' there were lots of climbers and a few skiers and boarders. Late in the day I talked to two boarder, armed with a shovel, who were headed for Conifer and planned to build a jump.It's been a strange season.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,667

And in other news Mammoth CA reports 18-26" in the last 48 hrs.

It gets worse..150 of 150 trails open, 190-330" base.

Thanks for the reports MadPatSki.

If you ever read his blogs you'd know he is Mad. How he gets all the info down so quickly is crazy.

If you ever read his blogs you'd know he is Mad. How he gets all the info down so quickly is crazy.

Ah California....California Dreaming. I've been to Mammoth in June 2005, June/July for 2006 and 2010. It was a blast. It should be a blast this season also. I would like to return, not sure, I'm still living one day at a time.

Thank you...

After Easter mayhem.... from 53 to 16. Only 6 still running daily.

QC: 9
    VT: 4
    NH: 1
    ME: 2

Complet list on my blog....

What’s left? Weekend after Easter – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – Week 4

https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/whats-left-weekend-after-easter-eastern-closing-thread-2017-week-4/

QC on Snocountry is showing only the following 3 open in QC as opposed to the 9 suggested by MadPat.
    Val d’Irène – April 23 (Friday-Sunday only)
    Ste-Anne – April 30 (weekend only)
    St-Sauveur – May 14 (weekend only)

That being said, I don't expect many SJ regulars to be headed for QC, but I want MadPat to know that we pay attention to his work!
    ski_it said:

Is the self proclaimed "mad" man from the crazy canuck country?

I'm enjoying reading his pictured reports from yesteryear

Next to the Canadian Rockies Yosemite is one of my favorites

Is this the one and only Mad " crazy" Pat dancing on half dome?

https://madpatski.smugmug.com/Travel/California-2010/July-1-Yosemite-National-Park/i-tFmmhBv/A
    Okay, here's an update from a motel room in the Great White North. I know the weather is different in the East right now.

11 ski areas planning to open this weekend plus Monday May 1 for some.

Here's the list:

Almost May - Eastern Closing 2017 -Week 5: https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/almost-may-eastern-closing-thread-2017-week-5/
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 1,417
    MadPatSki said:

Okay, here's an update from a motel room in the Great White North. I know the weather is different in the East right now.

11 ski areas planning to open this weekend plus Monday May 1 for some.

Here's the list:

Almost May - Eastern Closing 2017 -Week 5: https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/almost-may-eastern-closing-thread-2017-week-5/

Thanks for the update Pat. I plan to get turns this weekend at Wildcat and SR.  Enjoy the Canadian West!