Winter OLYMPICS 2018 comments results question answers etc.

edited February 2018 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 5,277
Winter Olympics 2018 comments results question answers etc.

Comments

Downhill in Sunday may be postponed. High winds forecast.

Also ridiculously cold now- opening ceremonies attendees will be a bit chilly...
    Are the opening ceremonies going to be broadcast live anywhere? NBC keeps talking about 8PM EST, but they are Friday Night in Korea and should be around 6AM EST.
    obienick said:

Are the opening ceremonies going to be broadcast live anywhere? NBC keeps talking about 8PM EST, but they are Friday Night in Korea and should be around 6AM EST.

NBCSports.com (if your provider allows it) will stream it and many other events live. Our cable provider has The Olympic Channel (basically NBCSports) as well. Same stream. They have been showing World Cup races live as well.

NBCSports.com (if your provider allows it) will stream it and many other events live. Our cable provider has The Olympic Channel (basically NBCSports) as well. Same stream. They have been showing World Cup races live as well.

This is a great thing, never knew about it until, by coincidence, last night. My local cable company uses something called "watchTVeverywhere.com" and it was pretty easy even for a middle aged guy who is rapidly being left behind by technological advances. I didn't know that I could have my family members log in from anywhere in the country, so as of last night I have my daughters using my cable account to watch TV instead of fooling around with hulu and such. Even comes with the Hallmark Channel although I won't admit to watching that. Totally legal according to my cable plan!

:)]

Anyway, I wound up watching a quasi-live feed of the men's first DH training run at Jeonseong (I think that's what it's called) which was pretty cool to watch Manny Osborne Paradis ski so well, although I doubt he has a shot at the gold.

Watching it without prime time editing it occurred to me there's about 15 guys who could conceivably win this event, maybe another half dozen more who could potentially surprise like that Dressen guy at Kitzbuhel.

They also had many of the guys going for combined on the course, so I got to see Marcel Hirscher run a downhill for the first time. Holy crap, he looked like an elephant on ice skates. Of course if he wanted to be a downhiller and trained for it, he'd probably be unbeatable.

My money's on Mayer to repeat DH gold, he looked like silk on that course

This is a great thing, never knew about it until, by coincidence, last night. My local cable company uses something called "watchTVeverywhere.com" and it was pretty easy even for a middle aged guy who is rapidly being left behind by technological advances. I didn't know that I could have my family members log in from anywhere in the country, so as of last night I have my daughters using my cable account to watch TV instead of fooling around with hulu and such. Even comes with the Hallmark Channel although I won't admit to watching that. Totally legal according to my cable plan!

:)]

Anyway, I wound up watching a quasi-live feed of the men's first DH training run at Jeonseong (I think that's what it's called) which was pretty cool to watch Manny Osborne Paradis ski so well, although I doubt he has a shot at the gold.

Watching it without prime time editing it occurred to me there's about 15 guys who could conceivably win this event, maybe another half dozen more who could potentially surprise like that Dressen guy at Kitzbuhel.

They also had many of the guys going for combined on the course, so I got to see Marcel Hirscher run a downhill for the first time. Holy crap, he looked like an elephant on ice skates. Of course if he wanted to be a downhiller and trained for it, he'd probably be unbeatable.

My money's on Mayer to repeat DH gold, he looked like silk on that course
    My money is on Svindal, followed by the Austrians Kriechmayr and Mayer
    Trifecta wagering!

Mayer - Feuz - Jansrud

Svindal was fast of course, if I recall correctly he caught an edge at one point and backed off 

I've always heard how the Austrians stand up so as to sandbag their training times, finally got to see it, that was interesting

Trifecta wagering!

Mayer - Feuz - Jansrud

Svindal was fast of course, if I recall correctly he caught an edge at one point and backed off 

I've always heard how the Austrians stand up so as to sandbag their training times, finally got to see it, that was interesting

Kriechmayr admitted to taking an 'inspection run' and not giving it full gas. I am sure Svindal, the cagey veteran, did the same. Manny O-P missed a gate.

Will be fun- lots of air but also a glider's track. Snow (cold and aggressive) is beating the hell out of the skis, so the techs are probably losing their minds trying to get wax right and keep bases from being destroyed.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,667
    Mogul qualifying tonight W & M.
    I know they are trying to preserve their prime time ratings but they have 4++ channels around here, just put the opening on one of them wil ya??
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    The figure skating marathon has begun. I have the luxury of pulling in CBC, whose coverage is so much better than any US efforts. They actually cover the Canadian athletes in all sports, and show full events. Excellent special stories, too.
    Watched a little curling, Swiss dominated US. Don't have a clue how it works, something like bowling, lawn bowling , shuffleboard, etc. I think it would an athletic competition for myself and Ibrake4tbars. Close to the ice.

Rick don't knock Hallmark channel, the new Hallmark drama runs my favorites, Rt Quinn Medicine womanand Little House with little to no commercials. Good clean stuff for old duffs.
    Poker game at today's training...high winds shortened course and caused problems. New top 3; Mayer missed a gate and was 4th. Anybody's game so far.
    Well I take it back as NBC put the live stream of the opening on our cable system. I'm glad i didn't get up at 6am because they didn't light the torch until after 8. I thought the ceremony was pretty cool.

CBC coverage is so much better I wish I could get it here. I had the pleasure of seeing it when I was at Tremblant for a week in 2002. So less biased, none of that fake dramas NBC invents and much more curling!
    But NBC live streaming apps gives us viewers better options
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Jessie Diggins wasn't feeling well but She did earn the best finish ever for a U.S. woman in an Olympic cross-country skiing event, fifth in the unforgiving 15-kilometer skiathlon. -USA Today.
    I saw to the first transition and a little more. Grueling. She may be disappointed but I'd call it a great result.
    Stronger events for her ahead
    Looked like the Americans effed up their grip wax. Jessie was the one slipping the most in the leader pack and other Americans were struggling as well.

The individual race which is only 10 km is freestyle this year. That is more of her speed (shorter & skating).
    Mikaela has Bib 7 for the GS tonight. 8:15 for run 1 and 11:45 for run 2.  Unlike WC races, everyone who finishes the first run gets a 2nd run.
    Both men's DH and women's GS moved to Thursday due to wind and forecast.

I'm sticking with my men's DH prediction, though Feuz is looking dangerous.

Women's GS: 1 Schiffrin  2 Rebensburg   3 Worley  (though I hope Worley wins). I don't buy the scuttlebutt that Schiffrin is out of sorts. She's just toying with the competition...

Women's GS: 1 Schiffrin  2 Rebensburg   3 Worley  (though I hope Worley wins). I don't buy the scuttlebutt that Schiffrin is out of sorts. She's just toying with the competition...

Agree, even if Shiffrin is "only" at 90%, she can still beat the competition right now..

Looking forward to hearing the Bode Miller/Julia Mancuso combo call a race along side Dan Hicks... I will on some levels miss the Todd Brooker, Christian Cooper combo with Hicks, but Bode has been good behind the mic thus far, and if Mancuso can avoid going all fung-shwei zen holistic as her social media presence of late, and keep it about ski racing, the combo could be REALLY GOOD!!
    DrJeff said:

Agree, even if Shiffrin is "only" at 90%, she can still beat the competition right now..

Looking forward to hearing the Bode Miller/Julia Mancuso combo call a race along side Dan Hicks... I will on some levels miss the Todd Brooker, Christian Cooper combo with Hicks, but Bode has been good behind the mic thus far, and if Mancuso can avoid going all fung-shwei zen holistic as her social media presence of late, and keep it about ski racing, the combo could be REALLY GOOD!!
    Bode is very good as an announcer
    Why does it seem like I see slot of empty seats in the stands for the events I watched?
    If outdoors- It is freaking COLD

If indoors, maybe b/c it is early rounds (Hockey, Curling)? 

Or too far from Europe, where most winter Olympic medals go and where most winter sports fans reside?

Or just maybe not that much fun to spend the coin to go to the Games, I dunno...
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,277
    Not a boarding pipe fan per se but good to see Cloe Kim win a gold and the 17 yr old young fella who won the US's first gold a few days back.
    ciscokid said:

Not a boarding pipe fan per se but good to see Cloe Kim win a gold and the 17 yr old young fella who won the US's first gold a few days back.

Me neither but its was cool to see the youngsters get the gold and then the "old man" Shaun White get it last night. I wasn't too thrilled about how he was dragging the flag around though.

skirick said:

I wasn't too thrilled about how he was dragging the flag around though.

Yeah I was feeling all good about Shaun and then saw that. Made me bristle just like when I see the yahoos who put a flag on their truck and then drive at highway speed. People just don't know proper flag etiquette. I don't think it's intentional, but cluelessness is no excuse.

• skirick said:

Yeah I was feeling all good about Shaun and then saw that. Made me bristle just like when I see the yahoos who put a flag on their truck and then drive at highway speed. People just don't know proper flag etiquette. I don't think it's intentional, but cluelessness is no excuse.
    I cringed as well. Maybe the USOC can have Dr. Sheldon Cooper give a seminar on flag etiquette to Olympic athletes prior to the next games.

skirick said:

Yeah I guess the old man isn't referred to the flying tomato anymore I haven't heard that phrase a long time so, well I guess hes been in the business what dozen years or maybe 16 I don't know what is he 40 yet 35 maybe, years creep up on all of us
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,329
    My perspective on the Shaun White "controversy".....

#1 - Pretty sure that short of a few folks in the NBC Olympics media crew back in Torino in 2006, the entire "Flying Tomato" nickname was never a thing that he created or embellished, as it only seems to show up with any regularity on NBC Olympics telecasts....

#2 - The flag event yesterday....  I saw it. I wished that the flag wasn't dragging on the snow for the short time it was for sure. Then I fully thought that I have absolutely no clue about how much shear emotion he must of been going through in those seconds after his 3rd run score was posted, just after he had completed one of his best competition runs in his long, storied career and under the HUGE amount of pressure that he was under. I wholeheartedly believe that it wasn't a purposeful, pre-planed statement move, but just an unfortunate thing that happened, that he likely had no clue was happening at the time due to all the emotion that he was feeling.  Heck, as I read today, his own father said that he had never seen him cry as an adult until just after the score was posted and he realized that he had one.  He gets a pass from me on the proper flag handling actions given this situation for sure

#3 - That was one incredible performance! 
    Flag was probably made in China. Moot point but it did get me rustled a bit.

Dr Jeff's comment on how emotional Shaun must have been opened my eyes to that possibility.

Ciskokid, Shaun is 31 years old.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
     Athletes (track, skiing and others) who are handed a flag after a great  performance are probably caught up in the moment, are shaking hands and perhaps doing interviews.I think they don't realize that the flag sometimes drags on the ground. It's not supposed to be used as a cape. Flag protocol isn't well observed in this country. How many towns put flags up on utility poles and leave them up all night without a dedicated light for each one? How many fans at games, talk, move around, eat hot dogs during the national anthem and cheer and sit down before it ends?  How many businesses and communities fly ragged, worn flags instead of burning them properly? I doubt there's any malice involved. Just thoughtlessness.

As for Shaun, he was the flying tomato when he had shoulder-length red hair. It's short now and doesn't look all that red. Whatever he's called, he's a great performer and has three Olympic golds to prove it.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 2,962
    Ladies GS tonight (tomorrow?)   With but  a few exceptions, any of the first 20 bibs could win!

I hope they race, finally!  

Men's downhill, sticking with Mayer - Feuz - Jansrud but as I said above, easily 15-16 solid possibles and another half dozen long shots.  I've been thinking Dressen as a long shot but he aced the combined, who knows!

• edited February 2018 Posts: 3,575
    Mayer suffered a pretty big bruise in combi SL crash. Don't know the impact

EDIT- He's in the race

Still going with Svindal for the win, changing to Feuz 2nd followed by Kriechmayr. Jansrud lurking there, too...

Then again: Johnson, Moe, Rahlves, et al....US guys have a history of having a way of stepping up at Oly and WChamps...